Defensive Carry banner

1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
63 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So I'm still waiting for the mail to come with my cc permit....But while I'm doing that I have been reading all these posts for about the last week and have really been learning alot...Everything from when to face a threat and when to back down....from Home security and home defense...Which I might add I am currently taking long hard look at and wondering why I have been so lax.....I am starting to view things in a whole different light now....I mean i have a wife and 4 kids to protect.......So correct me if I'm wrong but this whole Defensive Carry and Lets call it Defensive living is actually a way of life.......I find myself looking at things differently now always aware and trying to be always prepared.......I like the new me...And the knowledge I have gleaned from this forum has and will be very beneficial.....I just wanted to say thanks and soon I will be one of the sheepdogs and proud of it.....

·
Super Moderator
50,583 Posts
We all learn here...constantly.:yup:
The important thing is your new awareness, and that is a BIG part of SD/HD.

Stay armed...keep reading and get into an extended SD pistol course...stay safe!

·
Premium Member
24,508 Posts
So I'm still waiting for the mail to come with my cc permit....But while I'm doing that I have been reading all these posts for about the last week and have really been learning alot...Everything from when to face a threat and when to back down....from Home security and home defense...Which I might add I am currently taking long hard look at and wondering why I have been so lax.....I am starting to view things in a whole different light now....I mean i have a wife and 4 kids to protect.......So correct me if I'm wrong but this whole Defensive Carry and Lets call it Defensive living is actually a way of life.......I find myself looking at things differently now always aware and trying to be always prepared.......I like the new me...And the knowledge I have gleaned from this forum has and will be very beneficial.....I just wanted to say thanks and soon I will be one of the sheepdogs and proud of it.....
You are absolutely correct. defensive carry/living is a way of life. I don't think anyone who takes the time to analyze the threat to their own and families safety in this day and age can ever go back to being a sheep. Congratulations on making the move.

·
Registered
1,236 Posts
I couldn't have said it better Teccles. Welcome to the pack!

·
Registered
1,708 Posts
The same thing happened to me. Reading this site has been an eye opener for me. I learn something valuable almost every day. I know it takes time for those with knowledge to pass it on. I appreciate it. More so since I cannot really contribute much knowledge myself. No first hand knowledge in recent decades.

·
Registered
15,177 Posts
Between LEO's Military,Lawyers,mechanics,bunnys,the wealth of knowledge and scenarios posted on here is so much more than you will get in a Concealed permit class

·
Registered
3,604 Posts
Yes, your eyes open a little wider, dart back and forth a little quicker, you see things a little differently. That old Marvel comic book series "What If?" comes to mind. Looking for cover and concealment everywhere you go, checking your surroundings in parking lots...the list goes on and on.

I've even noticed my temper is more under control than it used to be, I've changed for the better.

Congrats on starting to mature and take on the responsibility of protecting your loved ones.

Joker1

·
Premium Member
2,939 Posts
"... a new way of life..."

Yeah man, you got it. :yup: Nothing's the same anymore. Let's hope it never goes back to the way it was before.

·
Registered
2,461 Posts
Once you start CC you really don't see things the same. Ever since I received my permit I'm more careful how I see my surroundings. I find myself looking for the safer places to be in my daily travels. I'm also more aware of my immediate surroundings as well. It's as if I can't really take my personal safety for granted. Now I'm always to some degree scanning my surroundings for possible bad situations.

It was so much easier when I didn't have a CCW permit. Now I have to be that much more aware of a great many things.

·
Premium Member
10,047 Posts
Outstanding analysis Teccles and welcome to Defensive Carry!

I tell people often... Survival is a very personal concept. By that, I mean, it all depends on how much you want to invest in your own personal survival, or that of your family.

For anyone who is serious about carrying a gun for self defense, we quickly realize that carrying a gun, does in fact become a "way of life." It shouldn't be something done on a casual basis.

To quote a world renowned defensive trainer, Clint Smith... "Carrying a gun should be comforting, not comfortable!"

In other words, when the hunk of steel starts digging in your side and weighing you down, we put up with it because we know... we know, that the when the chips are down and death is very real and imminent, and what you need is the immediate access to a gun to save your life, right here and right now... there really is no substitute.

And so, we ignore the discomfort, we ignore the burden, we ignore the fact that the clothes we wear to conceal our "emergency life saving tool" may not be fashionable or the latest designer outfit, and we choose carry the gun anyway.

Welcome to the forum... I hope you find this to be a great place to hang out, learn and share with others as we do!

Great post btw... I think your head is in the right place!

·
Registered
133 Posts
I got my PA LTCF when I was 22 years old (I'm almost 29 now), and I will say that very few things in my life have had as much of a positive and healthy impact on the way I go about conducting myself in society, as getting that permit and deciding to carry daily.

It just opens your eyes, and makes you a more prudent, smart, cautious, and decent human - At least it had that effect upon me...

The bone-headed, immature (and occasional and -possibly- "less-than-legal") stuff from my teens and very early twenties ended pretty darn quickly after I realized that I now had an immense responsibility to bear.

Before I got my permit and carried daily, I would have had the mindset that a handgun is synonymous w/ power... After a brief time carrying, I realized that it simply means that we are held to a higher standard than John Q. Citizen, legally speaking (and for very good reason).

Congrats to the OP... Carry in good health, and may you never clear leather "for real!"

Regards,

Bones

·
Registered
558 Posts
Good for you :)

Next time you are at a Walmart parking lot, just stop for a minute and look around. Notice how many people walk around totally oblivious to their surroundings with a cell phone glued to their head. The BG's do, and now so do you. Taking that first step towards a "defensive lifestyle" and ultimately self reliance proves you are not willing to let others dictate your future.

True independence isn't being able to prevent something that is beyond your control, it is taking a stand when a challenge presents itself. Just being able to say "today I was approached... and I refused to be a victim" has a value worth more than gold.

·
Premium Member
2,597 Posts
Get Training

What are the training requirements for CC in Kansas?

At our (including myself) level of experience, training is a huge value.

I got 8 hours of class and range for my TN Handgun Carry Permit 16 months ago. I took an additional 8 hours from the same instructor 2 months ago. I took 16 more hours two weekends ago.
Then, last weekend, I took a 16-hour Gabe Suarez International course in Close-Range Gunfighting.

Some of the posts here make a lot more sense - except some of mine make a lot less.

So I recommend training. Locally is OK. But a big-name is a good credibility / reality check.

Stay fit. Train in unarmed methods. Read: Massad Ayoob, John S. Farnam, Ed Lovette, Stephen R. Rementer, Dave Spaulding, Gabe Suarez....

·
Registered
63 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Pistology, I plan on taking more classes and training when and where I can find it......And when funds allow it......My instructor is getting certified to teach a gunsight course hopefully by next year.....Like I said I am in the middle of a entire lifestyle change....

·
Banned
13,685 Posts
So correct me if I'm wrong but this whole Defensive Carry and Lets call it Defensive living is actually a way of life.......I find myself looking at things differently now always aware and trying to be always prepared.......I like the new me...And the knowledge I have gleaned from this forum has and will be very beneficial.....I just wanted to say thanks and soon I will be one of the sheepdogs and proud of it.....
It is a different way of life for most. Not a part time ordeal, or a rainy day hobby. It's real, and there are way more folks than you might think living every day life this way. It's easier for some than others, but for those who maintain their principles and commitment, there's no other way. Joining the club is free with benefits of independence and peace of mind. Your application will be processed and any future questions you may have can be directed here in the forum. Good luck in everything you do.

·
Registered
1,535 Posts
Welcome!

You have chosen well and are in good company. Your new way of life empowers you to control your own destiny.

It makes life more interesting, to say the least!

·
Premium Member
10,047 Posts
I got my PA LTCF when I was 22 years old (I'm almost 29 now), and I will say that very few things in my life have had as much of a positive and healthy impact on the way I go about conducting myself in society, as getting that permit and deciding to carry daily.

It just opens your eyes, and makes you a more prudent, smart, cautious, and decent human -
At least it had that effect upon me...
JoeyBones... :hand10:

Your attitude is right on target and squared away! Outstanding!

1 - 20 of 27 Posts