Defensive Carry banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,219 Posts
Looks good, Armybrat. That'll get the job done.

·
Registered
2,218 Posts
I picked up one of those rifles. Seems heavier than an AR, but spec sheet says 6.8 pounds. At least it has a Picatinny rail.

·
Registered
2,218 Posts
Ruger PC Carbine. Looks like a Glock, so can use the 33 or larger capacity mags. In the .40 cal I would be able use it to hunt deer in Iowa.

·
Super Moderator
19,294 Posts
I got a Ruger PC not quite 2 years ago, after seeing a couple run well in a big USPSA Area match. I was impressed because everyone else was running AR-based guns, and this was designed from the start for pistol calibers.

It's a handy, compact package, and I love that the mag well can be changed with the supplied parts to accept Glock mags. I put a Bushnell TRS-25 red dot on it, but it deserves a more serious optic that won't wash out in strong sunlight. For home defense, I'd be hard-pressed to find a better long gun that doesn't require a Fed tax stamp.

My only gripes about the gun are that it's heavier than it needs to be, and the trigger has the same problem. I'd like it to be closer to the M1 carbine in weight, given its convenient size, which means losing a pound and a half. I've improved the trigger smoothness, but it's still in the 5-pound range, a bit high for my taste, but tolerable.

I don't have a thousand rounds through the gun yet, but it's been 100% reliable so far with factory ammo and reloads from 115 to 147 gr. OEM Glock mags were chosen for reliability (over saving a few bucks with aftermarket offerings). A pair of 33-rounders and some 24s provide a great deal of firepower if needed.

·
Registered
3,191 Posts
That should keep those protesters out of your house !

Reactions: RedSafety

·
Registered
5,975 Posts
Ruger PC Carbine. Looks like a Glock, so can use the 33 or larger capacity mags. In the .40 cal I would be able use it to hunt deer in Iowa.
Actually .40 is not a bad close-in deer round, especially when coming out of a carbine length barrel! You would be surprised at how many deer are taken every year with a .40!

·
Registered
2,218 Posts
Iowa requires .357 or larger pistol caliber in their rifles AND pistols. With the extra length, should be good to maybe 75 yards, power-wise. The 9 is actually good to about 100 yards as it looses power slower than the .40 or .45. Shotgun is fine, as far as power, but lots of drop. I calculated out a 9mm and as far as accuracy, should be good to at least 150 yards. I didn't check the .40.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts