Defensive Carry banner

1 - 20 of 34 Posts

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I bought a LED flashlight and payed $58.00 good light and very bright for as small as it is. Put it in my pants pocket then I dropped some change in my pocket yesterday. Got home took the light out and a quarter fell through and wedged over the lens. Fits perfectly over the light lens the only problem I have is I can not get it out. Tried everything. Ticked me off but my wife got a good laugh out of it. As long as she is happy.:aargh4:

·
Registered
15,177 Posts
try hot gluing something to the quarter so you can pull it off

·
Registered
304 Posts
I was going to suggest solder. Hot glue or super glue is a better idea...

·
Registered
2,848 Posts
That is funny....try the above, or use some chewing gum and a paper clip, you know, like macgyver would, lol!

·
Registered
1,231 Posts
WD-40 a little around the edge, then duct tape over the coin and pull. Super glue might make the problem worse, I would use superglue or such as a last resort.
"From someone thats been there"

·
Registered
1,974 Posts
scratch the quarter in the middle with a pin or pocket knife to make hash marks then lay a string across and put a small dot of gorilla glue in the middle on top of the hash marks.

Let dry completely and gently pull the quarter off.

to protect the edges from glue you can smear petrolium jelly or put tape on.

·
Registered
10,071 Posts
At least you don't have to worry about changing your batteries anymore..."Introducing the new Ronco paperweight, only $58.00"

Unbelievable. Hope you get it figured out...that would be driving me crazy. Let us know what happens.

Try a dab of 2 part epoxy JB Weld in the center with a long bolt attached head down. Let it set up good a couple of days and thread a nut on the bold and pull it off with vice grips. That stuff is like steel and it won't run to the edge like glue....it's thick.

·
Registered
587 Posts
That happened to me on a surefire. Drove me up the wall. I suggest making a loop of duct tape or using another adhesive. A real strong adhesive you might have in your house is those felt strips that are used to protect hardwood floors from chairs.

·
Registered
806 Posts
That's a new one!

:rofl::haha:

Sorry...:frown:

·
Registered
1,644 Posts
Gluing and pulling may work. Epoxy would be best. Clean the quarter and the thing you glue it to very well before gluing.

What you really need is an inertia quarter puller. Just like a bullet puller. You mount the flashlight in a hole drilled in a large block of wood. Leave extra space in front of the lens and bang it against a hard surface! Bam, no more problem. Take the batteries out before banging...

Now how do you prevent this in the future?

·
Banned
5,252 Posts
At least you don't have to worry about changing your batteries anymore..."Introducing the new Ronco paperweight, only $58.00"
:rofl:

You crack me up.

Biker

·
Registered
19 Posts
Alright. My solution would be to heat the flashlight in hot water to expand the aluminium and let the quater fall out. Aluminium (flashlight)has a higher coefficient of expansion then steel and copper(Quarter)
Let us know how you get it out.:image035:

·
Registered
721 Posts
Somebody here has a signature line that sez something like, "There are few problems in life that can not be solved through the proper application of high explosives..."

:rofl:

·
Premium Member
3,704 Posts
Alright. My solution would be to heat the flashlight in hot water to expand the aluminium and let the quater fall out. Aluminium (flashlight)has a higher coefficient of expansion then steel and copper(Quarter)
Let us know how you get it out.:image035:
I thought of that solution as well. Aluminum will expand at a higher rate than the nickle/copper quarter. Heat may be a viable solution but it must be done without immersing the LED in water.

Direct radiant heat might work but it would need to be more heat than a hair dryer. By the time the Aluminum was sufficiently heated, paint and other components of the flashlight would likely be damaged.

It would seem to me that the quarter could be gently eased from the face of the lense using a non oil lubricant such as a mild dish washing detergent and a potato with the skin still on.

Yes a potato. The potato pressed against the quarter is used to grip the quarter and spin it free.

·
Registered
408 Posts
Call the company's CS line and tell them the light isn't working properly. See what they say. Tell them you turn it on and no light comes out.:image035:

It would almost be worth the shipping charges there and back to have them call you and say:
CS- "Uhm...Mr __, we received your flashlight and there was a quarter stuck to the lens. We removed it and there doesn't seem to be anything wrong with it:scruntiny:".
You-"So you fixed it. Great, how soon will I get it back?":danceban:
CS-:twak:

·
Banned
5,252 Posts
Call the company's CS line and tell them the light isn't working properly. See what they say. Tell them you turn it on and no light comes out.:image035:

It would almost be worth the shipping charges there and back to have them call you and say:
CS- "Uhm...Mr __, we received your flashlight and there was a quarter stuck to the lens. We removed it and there doesn't seem to be anything wrong with it:scruntiny:".
This is the best solution yet. :image035:

Biker

·
Premium Member
5,765 Posts

This would be my choice..

·
Registered
9 Posts
Clean quarter with alcohol first. Twice.

After gluing, a twisting motion might be needed to overcome
atmospheric air pressure if a rubber surface is involved.

Applying some air pressure inside the unit might help.
As last resort: place in freezer for thermal effects.

1 - 20 of 34 Posts