Defensive Carry banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
170 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am thinking about getting a used S&W 442-1 (stainless steel) finish. I would like to have it refinished to blue/black finish like the newer S&W 442. Is this possible?

·
Registered
737 Posts
If the gun has a nickel plated finish, then yes, you can have the nickel stripped and get it blued instead. If it's made of stainless steel, then no, you can't have it blued.

·
Administrator
143,573 Posts
Bluing Is Out

You can get it chemically blackened though...or black chrome can also be done on stainless.

·
Registered
3,468 Posts
S&W did some blackened SS guns for a HP department, several years ago- they would not refinish them, as the process was prohibitively expensive. Black chrome would be ok, as long as it is not a carry/much used piece- BC is roughly equal to electrloess nickle, in wear resistence(from what I've been told).

A polymer finish will run about the same as BC.

Check in with Cogan Custom/Accurate Plating&Weaponry, Ford's Guns, Checkmate, and possibly Birdsong. They'll know best....:wave:

·
Registered
1,790 Posts
there are a number of coatings you can have applied. I have a Kahr P9 that has the stainless slide but it has a tungsten DLC? coating that makes it black. It's a hard coat that has held up to a kydex holster for a long time.

Gideon

1 - 6 of 6 Posts