Defensive Carry banner

1 - 20 of 83 Posts

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I typically only buy a gun when I have a specific role to fill. Open carry, concealed backup, range plinker, hunting, cowboy shooting, etc.

One role I need to fill is the "I'm gonna go join up and fight the Rebs, Ma!"

Lemme be specific...this rifle will ONLY be used if I have to join a militia. Period. It will also be the first thing I grab if someone throws a Molotov cocktail through my window.

I was a Marine for 8 years. I got to use the M16A4, M4, and M27 IAR. I am not an expert by any means, but I've had some experience...that being said, I could use some advice.

I posted another thread elsewhere and got lots of helpful tips, but didn't get enough to narrow my options down to a single rifle, so I'll try to be more specific with what I'm asking...

I am looking for a gun in the $2k to $3k price range. I'm looking for something semiautomatic, and has:
1) Accuracy/precision: can I hit a 4 Inch target at 200 yards?
2) Reliability: it will still function even if it's wet, or muddy, or has sand in it, just like a Glock is advertised to.
3) Durability: will it break if I have to use it to block a blow or use it as a club because they're too close to shoot?

I am already aware that the AR15 is affordable, is the most customizable, and has a large availability of aftermarket parts...tbh, for the purpose of this discussion, those things I am not really concerned about right now...I just want to know about PURE functionality, and nothing else. If I buy an AR15 over something else, it'll still be one that's above the $2k threshold...two I have in mind are the LWRC and the HK MR556.

Rifles still in my consideration: (in no specific order)
(all have common calibers that I can easily get .556, 7.62x39, .308, etc)

1) M1A Tanker or Scout
2) Tavor SAR 7.62x39 or .556
3) Tavor X95 in 7.62x39 or .556
4) Bushmaster ACR in .556 or 300 blackout
5) Scar 16 and Scar 17
6) HK MR556
7) Mini 14 or Mini 30

So what I'd like to know is, what rifle would you suggest, and why? What does that rifle do better than every other rifle? Is it more accurate? More reliable? More durable?

I know it will be impossible for any gun to be the best at everything, but I'll settle for one that's the best at one thing and still great at the rest.

I'm betting my life on this gun, so I'm not taking any chances.

·
Banned
2,879 Posts
These days whatever you can find ammo for. Right now that would be something chambered for 7.62x39 simply because you can still find ammo for 30-35 cents per round. So from your list the Tavor or the Mini 30. Not from your list would be a PSA AK or similar

·
Registered
413 Posts
I typically only buy a gun when I have a specific role to fill. Open carry, concealed backup, range plinker, hunting, cowboy shooting, etc.

One role I need to fill is the "I'm gonna go join up and fight the Rebs, Ma!"

Lemme be specific...this rifle will ONLY be used if I have to join a militia. Period. It will also be the first thing I grab if someone throws a Molotov cocktail through my window.

I was a Marine for 8 years. I got to use the M16A4, M4, and M27 IAR. I am not an expert by any means, but I've had some experience...that being said, I could use some advice.

I posted another thread elsewhere and got lots of helpful tips, but didn't get enough to narrow my options down to a single rifle, so I'll try to be more specific with what I'm asking...

I am looking for a gun in the $2k to $3k price range. I'm looking for something semiautomatic, and has:
1) Accuracy/precision: can I hit a 4 Inch target at 200 yards?
2) Reliability: it will still function even if it's wet, or muddy, or has sand in it, just like a Glock is advertised to.
3) Durability: will it break if I have to use it to block a blow or use it as a club because they're too close to shoot?

I am already aware that the AR15 is affordable, is the most customizable, and has a large availability of aftermarket parts...tbh, for the purpose of this discussion, those things I am not really concerned about right now...I just want to know about PURE functionality, and nothing else. If I buy an AR15 over something else, it'll still be one that's above the $2k threshold...two I have in mind are the LWRC and the HK MR556.

Rifles still in my consideration: (in no specific order)
1) M1A Tanker or Scout
2) Tavor SAR 7.62x39 or .556
3) Tavor X95 in 7.62x39 or .556
4) Bushmaster ACR in .556 or 300 blackout
5) Scar 16 and Scar 17
6) HK MR556
7) Mini 14 or Mini 30

So what I'd like to know is, what rifle would you suggest, and why? What does that rifle do better than every other rifle? Is it more accurate? More reliable? More durable?

I know it will be impossible for any gun to be the best at everything, but I'll settle for one that's the best at one thing and still great at the rest.

I'm betting my life on this gun, so I'm not taking any chances.

1) FN SCAR 16
2) HK MR556
3) Barrett Rec 7 gen2 piston model
4) LWRC ic-a5
5) LMT piston model
6) PWS mk1 model

The above are all piston guns because they require a lot less maintenance and stay cleaner inside a lot longer. All of them are tier one guns that have served with Mil, LE Swat, or both, and for me, they represent the best of the best.

Reactions: MacGyver125

·
Registered
18,971 Posts
All of your questions were answered in the last thread about this you posted....multiple times.
From what I am sensing here, about any rifle will live up to your needs and capabilities. Just pick and buy....

Your experiences with the M16/M4 platform are vastly different than mine.
What unit and MOS were you?

·
Registered
944 Posts
From the list. I would choose the M1A. The others are are fine , just my preference. The other choice for me would be the M1 carbine, but that won’t have the accuracy you want at the 200 yard range. Just my thoughts.

·
Registered
38,120 Posts
If you plan on joining a militia, think caliber commonality and go from there.

·
Premium Member
34,640 Posts
If you plan on joining a right-wing militia, don't post it on the internet. JMO, of course.

·
Premium Member
4,470 Posts

·
Registered
2,591 Posts
Have to agree with HotBrass. Find some ammo first, then pick out the rifle. Around here its the 6.5 Grendel, so probably an AR for me. Easy enough to get a second upper if ammo choices open up.

·
Registered
8,399 Posts
I would still go with what I recommended in the last thread where you asked about this. A high quality AR. The piston guns are nice, but if SHTF and I need to be able to replace parts, proprietary parts that are only found in $2000+ rifles is probably not going to make it easy to fix that gun, so for that reason I’d stick with DI.

·
Banned
2,879 Posts
LOL this might be the first time I've heard a Marine say he wasn't an expert when it comes to firearms. Even the ones who can't shoot for sh** usually claim at least some level of expertise.

·
Registered
8,233 Posts
The key to winning a war is logistics. Ammunition, not rifles, will win the war.

Always remember the old adage: Always have one more bullet than your enemy when the last shot is fired.

There is only one variety of ammunition in plentiful supply: 5.56. 5.56 is available everywhere. Read Selco Begovic, and then think real hard about where to find large quantities of 5.56. Of course, you can find large quantities of 7.62X51 there also, but it is packaged and loaded for things other than an M-14.

·
Premium Member
3,429 Posts
AK or mini 30. The ammo is going to be an important consideration now.

Reactions: StormRhydr

·
Registered
Northwest Oregon
17,306 Posts
Barrett M107A1 .50 BMG.

50 BMG is the only ammo currently on the shelf in quantity at the big box store.

Reactions: OD* and Bad Bob

·
Super Moderator
23,995 Posts
The key to winning a war is logistics. Ammunition, not rifles, will win the war.

Always remember the old adage: Always have one more bullet than your enemy when the last shot is fired.

There is only one variety of ammunition in plentiful supply: 5.56. 5.56 is available everywhere. Read Selco Begovic, and then think real hard about where to find large quantities of 5.56. Of course, you can find large quantities of 7.62X51 there also, but it is packaged and loaded for things other than an M-14.
Wisdom. Wisdom offered honestly, without judgment.

1 - 20 of 83 Posts