1 - 20 of 34 Posts

·
Registered
1,415 Posts
Discussion Starter #1

·
Registered
129 Posts
Well it sounds like he acted responsibly. He had a cool and level head on him. Good job on saving a life. +1 for the good guys.:hand10:

·
Registered
2,848 Posts
Wow a gun on campus stopping an attack, and it made into a news paper story!

·
Registered
40,246 Posts
Yeah! Where was someone like this when the kid in Chicago was getting beat to death in the street? Everyone had a cell phone, but no one called 911. They only took pictures! AN how about the gang rape in CA? Same thing. Lots of cells but no one stepped up and protected the victim.

No one respects the sheepdog until they need one.

·
Registered
50 Posts
He did good. Nice to see that.

As for the sheepdog thing, I think that fits cops better since they work for the government that is farming us.

I like to think of CCW holders more as rams. Wolves need to watch out for the horns. :comeandgetsome:

·
Banned
1,098 Posts
As for the sheepdog thing, I think that fits cops better since they work for the government that is farming us.
Bingo sheepdogs help the rancher enslave the sheep. They aren't the guardians of the flock they're the jailers. You want to be a sheepdog knock yourself out

·
Registered
763 Posts
Bingo sheepdogs help the rancher enslave the sheep. They aren't the guardians of the flock they're the jailers. You want to be a sheepdog knock yourself out
Ain't a cop, don't wanna be a cop, don't pretend to be a cop. Sheepdog? Hmmm. I consider myself a protector of my family, loved ones and self. Other than that, a good witness. If you carry a gun to protect others (except for your family and self) you ought to consider being a LEO.

YMMV

·
Registered
2,867 Posts
Kaplan Career Institute teacher pulls a gun to stop an attack outside the school
By BARBARA MILLER, The Patriot-News
December 08, 2009, 8:05PM

Criminal justice instructor Michael Minto was leaving the Kaplan Career Institute in Swatara Township on Monday night when he spotted a man being stabbed, police said.

Minto pulled his gun and ordered the attacker to drop his knife, police said. The attacker fled, and authorities said Minto’s actions likely saved the life of Dillon Mitchell, 30, of Harrisburg.

If Minto had not intervened, “We might be talking about someone who died,” said Deputy Swatara Township Police Chief Jason D. Umberger. “There are not many citizens out there that would have the courage to take that action.”

Police were looking on Tuesday night for Kevin Forde, 29, of North Sixth Street, Harrisburg in connection with the attack. Forde is charged with attempted homicide and aggravated assault.

Umberger said Mitchell left the 5650 Derry St. school around 10:30 p.m. with Ayanna Carter, who is Forde’s wife. Forde approached them and an argument started, leading to the stabbing, Umberger said.

After Minto confronted Forde, he and Carter got in Carter’s car and drove off, Umberger said. Carter later returned to the school alone to retrieve Forde’s cell phone and told officers that she dropped her husband at 13th and Sycamore streets, police said.

Carter has not been charged in the incident, police said.

Mitchell was stabbed twice in the abdomen, four times in the shoulder area of his back, once in the right shoulder and in an undetermined location, police said. He was released after treatment at Community General Osteopathic Hospital, Umberger said.

He said he didn’t know what sparked the argument or whether Mitchell, Forde or Carter are students at the school.

The knife used in the stabbing had a 3- to 4-inch blade and was recovered, police said.

Umberger said Forde was on probation or parole and has a history of assault and terroristic threat charges.

“We would like him to turn himself in,” Umberger said, adding that police were following up on leads Tuesday.

Kaplan, formerly Thompson Institute, offers programs in criminal justice, allied health, digital arts and information technology.

A Kaplan Career Institute spokesman said the institute is working with police on the case.
Glad Minto came along.

Mitchell needs to learn the rule of Stupids...and dating another man's wife seems like it would be included in there.

·
Registered
262 Posts
Ain't a cop, don't wanna be a cop, don't pretend to be a cop. Sheepdog? Hmmm. I consider myself a protector of my family, loved ones and self. Other than that, a good witness. If you carry a gun to protect others (except for your family and self) you ought to consider being a LEO.

YMMV
Well maybe one day when one of your family members is getting stabbed shot or raped someone can return the favor and be a good witness instead of doing something productive like ...I don't know saving their life maybe.

·
Premium Member
5,765 Posts
Good reaction for the teacher...He probably saved the guys life...:yup: :hand10:

·
Banned
1,098 Posts
Well maybe one day when one of your family members is getting stabbed shot or raped someone can return the favor and be a good witness instead of doing something productive like ...I don't know saving their life maybe.
Or my wife could shoot back on her own

·
Banned
10,182 Posts
:congrats: :congrats: :congrats: :congrats: :congrats: :congrats:

·
Registered
763 Posts
If someone is in a life threatening situation, I would most likely step in. But I sure as hell don't and won't go looking for trouble. That's not why I carry a weapon. If that's the reason you carry, more power to you. Quite frankly, it would take a lot for me to get involved to the extent of using my firearm. There are other ways of stopping violent assaults against others. The problem is those who seem to think that a gun makes them a protector of those who choose not to carry.

As for your statement, your sarcasm is noted and ignored. I am responsible for the safety of my family, and my family members share in that responsibility. I have absolutely no expectations of anyone stepping in and intervening should violence be visited upon my family. That's why I carry a weapon -
I don't know saving their life maybe.

·
Registered
45 Posts
Divebum,

You say you're responsible for your family. Are you always with your family? I don't think so. He did the right thing, and you would have done the same thing. Admit it.

·
Registered
763 Posts
Divebum,

You say you're responsible for your family. Are you always with your family? I don't think so. He did the right thing, and you would have done the same thing. Admit it.
I very well may have. However, I was not there, don't know all of the circumstances and don't like to speculate or assume. My point is that I don't carry a weapon with any expectations of protecting anyone other than my family or myself. I am a little apprehensive of those who carry a weapon in hopes that they'll have the opportunity to be a hero, or who say that they would get involved.

I have been in situations where I've been shot at and shot back. Funny thing is, each time it went a little or a lot different than what I expected. Military combat is a whole different group of circumstances, but it does boil down to action and reaction.

Kudos to the teacher who got involved. If the circumstances are exactly as reported, I would like to think I would have gotten involved, and am pretty confident that I would have. However, I don't know all the facts, all the circumstances other that what is reported here. That's not enough for me to say that I would take potentially a lethal part in the proceedings.

As for my family, you are correct. I am not always with them. But my wife and my daughter are alwaysself-aware, situationally aware and prepared as much as is possible. It is something we discuss on a regular basis.

Again, my point is that I, personally, don't feel qualified or particularly compelled to get involved to the extent that I would use my weapon in the vast majority of scenarios. I would, however, let the circumstances dictate the extent of my involvement. I just don't like to speculate or run off at the mouth as to what I would do. I'm not a tough guy, don't pretend to be. I'm past the age where vanity or machismo is an important issue in my life.

Sorry for the epic. Mods - feel free to remove, spindle fold or mutilate.

·
Registered
414 Posts

YMMV
You ought to consider researching the US Supreme Courts' position on what you just said, because you're dead wrong. Police have ZERO obligation to use their firearm in the defense of a citizen, let alone even attempt to stop someone from killing you.

The USSC believes it is up to the citizenry to defend themselves and their neighbors. Not the police.

·
Registered
350 Posts
Glad Minto came along.

Mitchell needs to learn the rule of Stupids...and dating another man's wife seems like it would be included in there.
If you're going to be having sex with a violent man's wife, you better be prepared for the attack.

·
Registered
74 Posts
I didnt read anywhere that there was sex envolved, however if you are hanging out with a violent mans wife (or girlfriend), regarless of your relationship status, you should be prepared for a attack.

1 - 20 of 34 Posts