Defensive Carry banner

1 - 20 of 33 Posts

·
Registered
3,210 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was driving to my lady friend’s house last evening. (Still light.) I have driven this many times. It is not the best neighborhood with lots of seed looking characters but I have never had any trouble.

I was in my car. Doors locked, windows up. I was carrying my gun at 5 o’clock so it was not exactly in the most easily accessible condition. I was at a stop light. I will admit, I was boxed in more than I like. I normally do not do that in this neighborhood but traffic was a bit on the heavier side. At the corner were probably 6 or so gang types. They were walking away from my vehicle moving forward. All of a sudden, one of the guys turns around and starts running back very fast. He kinda sorta was running in the general direction of my car, but never really committed himself. He did look like he had a definite purpose to his movements. At this point the light turns green. The person in front of me just sits there, not moving. I am screaming in my head, “MOVE!” but nothing. I didn’t want to toot my horn as it didn’t seem appropriate given the possible situation. Then, the guy just stops, turns to his friends and starts laughing and joking around. Now the car in front of me starts to move. Ugh.

I keep thinking, what would I have done had this guy started banging on my passenger side door, or pulled a gun on me, or did something else “unfriendly”. I really couldn’t drive away. My gun was NOT easily accessible. And even if it were, there were 6 of them and only one of me. Just didn’t seem like a good situation to be in.

Lessons learned. I need a way to have a gun more readily available while I drive. I also need to constantly think of escape maneuvers at stop lights. Also, maybe find another route to drive and/or have my lady friend move.

·
Registered
1,513 Posts
At least you learned a lesson.

When I drive my jeep, I like to put my gun between the console and the parking brake lever. It holds it pretty well with the grip being very accessible. Also right by my shifter, which my hand is often on anyway.

In my chevy, I stuck a kydex holster between the driver and bench seat, and it sits in there right in front of the seat belt.

·
Registered
66 Posts
First, I hope you always have your doors locked. I would do windows up in a bad neighborhood too.

If the guy banged on the window, no big deal. Honk horn to get guy in front moving. If banging persists and guy in front still not moving, honk again.

If the situation elevates to the guy drawing a weapon, FLOOR IT. Worry about the motor vehicle accident after you are safe. The car in front of you can be moved out of the way. (I drive a RAM 2500, so pushing another vehicle is an option for me anyway)

Can you put your carry gun in a seat-side holster while driving? Can't do it in MA because then the weapon is not under your direct control.

I carry at 1:00, but seated with seat belt on, it is difficult to draw in a hurry.

·
Premium Member
2,652 Posts
This may be a bit over the top but I have often considered this lovely option...

Mitch Rosen CCR: “The Counter Carjacking Rig™ is designed for the "working pro" who sits on surveillance for long periods of time or for the tactically aware driver who may need to access a handgun while seated behind the wheel. Our recommendation is to have your CCR™ in the glove box, and upon entering the vehicle, put it on and switch your weapon from whichever rig you might be wearing, such as an ARG™. This is a situation-specific cross-draw ONLY. Stitched sight rails plus dowel sight track. AVAILABLE: Most autos, S&W J- and K-frames to 4" barrel”

Mitch should offer me a discount for plugging his product. ~
Regards,

·
Registered
1,746 Posts
Everytime I get into my vehicle ... and I mean EVERYTIME, I remove my holstered firearm and jam it between the seat and the center console. The holster is very secure there and easily accessible. When I need to exit the vehicle, I scoot forward in the seat and stick the holstered gun back into my pants. I use an HBE Pro TL tuckable.

The scenario you described is difficult to defend against. Glad all went well for you.

·
Registered
3,507 Posts
Several good options, since I carry in the same location as you. The unholstering when in a car woudl be cumbersome if you had to tuck the shirt in, but other than that ti is a viable option.

I personally would floor it and take the car in front of me with me, I am well insured and can fix just about any car's bumper for a simple deductible.

Glad it turned out to be a knuckle head with a stupid sense of humor.

·
Registered
541 Posts
Lot of varibles there that got you to thinking. As others have stated, I have insurance and the premium is paid. Guess I would take the vehicle infront, beside or behind me with me, cause the accelerator is gonna get mashed if the SHTF, maybe even the BG if he has a gun..

Sounds like you learned to always have an out, and have your weapon readily available..

Glad all turned out well

·
Registered
156 Posts
This may be a bit over the top but I have often considered this lovely option...

Mitch Rosen CCR: “The Counter Carjacking Rig™ is designed for the "working pro" who sits on surveillance for long periods of time or for the tactically aware driver who may need to access a handgun while seated behind the wheel. Our recommendation is to have your CCR™ in the glove box, and upon entering the vehicle, put it on and switch your weapon from whichever rig you might be wearing, such as an ARG™. This is a situation-specific cross-draw ONLY. Stitched sight rails plus dowel sight track. AVAILABLE: Most autos, S&W J- and K-frames to 4" barrel”

Mitch should offer me a discount for plugging his product. ~
Regards,

I would also recommend:

Ohai Modular Holster by Crossbreed

I have one velcroed underneath the steering column in my pickup, and another velcroed to the inside of the driver's door in my wife's car. When I get in either vehicle, I simply remove my firearm from my holster and slip it into the Ohai --- ready for quick action. Reverse the process as I get out of the vehicle.

-Seawolf

·
Banned
23 Posts
It's sobering to read someone's description of a real-world scenario where deadly force might have suddenly been called for if things had gone a little differently. Imagining this kind of situation is what compelled me to put a bit of time and effort into making sure I have a reasonably swift draw arrangement in my vehicle.

Paco brought up a good point -- use your vehicle first. I've told myself I'm willing to have some vehicle contact with other people's cars if we're all parked at a light and I can possibly drive away from a would-be carjacker. Me having to go through the hassle of processing vehicle damages with the insurance companies would beat the heck out of having to shoot someone.

·
Registered
69 Posts
I drive into Boston at 3:30 am, most of the week it is quiet, Saturday morning the freaks are all out. IF I have to stop at a light because someone is in front of me I stop far enough away from that car so if I have to go around it I can without exchanging paint. Other than that, I only stop at lights if no one is around. I got stopped one morning for taking a right on red that was marked not to do so, I told the officer I will not sit at a light when scumbags are standing on the corner, at 3:30 in the morning, red or not. He said have a nice day and left.

·
Super Moderator
50,584 Posts

·
Banned
1,890 Posts
Sorry i think you're over reacting. "he was kinda sorta running in your general direction", but he "never committed". You were there, you're the best judge, but going off your details i question the need to drawing a gun.

·
Registered
448 Posts
There are several different cross-draw style holsters for sitting. I bought one by Ross Leather- I really like it. It can also be quickly removed from the belt too.
Ross Leather

·
Premium Member
10,047 Posts
At least you learned a lesson.

When I drive my jeep, I like to put my gun between the console and the parking brake lever. It holds it pretty well with the grip being very accessible. Also right by my shifter, which my hand is often on anyway.

In my chevy, I stuck a kydex holster between the driver and bench seat, and it sits in there right in front of the seat belt.
Depending on how big and heavy your gun is, even a minor fender bender could send your gun sailing to the never regions of the floor board and lost for the duration of the fight.

That actually happened to two FBI agents during the infamous FBI shootout on 11 Apr 86 between the FBI and two hardened killers William Matix and Michael Platt.

link

[From Wikipedia]
The initial collision that forced the suspects off the road caused some unforeseen problems for the agents, as the FBI vehicles also collided. Just prior to ramming the Monte Carlo, Manauzzi had pulled out his service revolver and placed it on the seat in anticipation of a shootout, but the force of the collision flung open his door and sent his weapon flying. Hanlon also lost his .357 Magnum service revolver during the initial collision, though he was still able to fight with his Smith & Wesson Model 36 backup gun. The collision also knocked off Grogan's eye glasses, making it difficult for him to see.

I would suggest that sometime when you are out on an empty road or large empty parking lot is to try a little test by performing a "power brake" from about 30 or 35 mph and see if your weapon stays secure. If it goes flying from it's perch during that maneuver, it certainly isn't going to stay in place during any kind of impact.

·
Registered
155 Posts
I would also recommend:

Ohai Modular Holster by Crossbreed

I have one velcroed underneath the steering column in my pickup, and another velcroed to the inside of the driver's door in my wife's car. When I get in either vehicle, I simply remove my firearm from my holster and slip it into the Ohai --- ready for quick action. Reverse the process as I get out of the vehicle.

-Seawolf
I have this same setup, well, not in the wife's car as I don't have one :danceban: , but the Ohai works great!

·
Registered
1,006 Posts
I understand that out West, lawmen will use a clip on holster to attach their sidearm to the seat belt in center chest position or thereabouts. When exiting the vehicle, holster stays on the belt, sidearm goes back in the belt holster.
Your story goes in our training file, and thank you for sharing it!

1 - 20 of 33 Posts