Defensive Carry banner

21 - 31 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
33 Posts
i agree as a safety it is worthless and i never use it. possibly it could be helpfull to indicate you are being handed a loaded weapon at the range but then again if you visually inspect the chamber and treat it as loaded anyway and there is no need for it.

·
Banned
305 Posts
This "press check" I keep hearing about... Is this something for people who frequently carry with no round in the pipe?
The ready status of any firearm should be checked ritually every time it is out of your direct control -- say, when you put it on in the morning after sleeping, or after you take it out of the safe. This is just sound practice to make sure it's ready to go.

·
Registered
92 Posts
Phil Elmore said:
The ready status of any firearm should be checked ritually every time it is out of your direct control -- say, when you put it on in the morning after sleeping, or after you take it out of the safe. This is just sound practice to make sure it's ready to go.
Yes...just the thought process that an 'indicator' tries to replace.
Not for us, but for the future shooters.
Damn the blissninny morons that don't have a clue.

Sorry...It's a PO'd kinda day.

·
Super Moderator
18,994 Posts
Phil Elmore said:

I agree

·
Super Moderator
13,001 Posts
Then again, my XD is the only gun I can do a chamber check on with it completely holstered. So if I needed to be sure, but it wasn't quite time to disclose the gun, it can be pretty reassuring to know your gun is chambered. It's also a completely silent check.

I suppose it could false indicate, but what are the chances? In fact, how would it do it?

·
Super Moderator
13,001 Posts
I've never had a problem with the chamber indicator on any of my XDs. I've heard of a few breaking and coming off, but that wouldn't make it indicate loaded, it would indicate not loaded, necessitating a press check.

I think it's an unnecessary and unprecipitated worry. It does have advantages as previously mentioned: easy to check in the dark, while holstered, and silently. And, you don't have to do a higher risk press check.

Enjoy it.

·
Registered
329 Posts
It's big these days. They are put there, in my opinion, to get by in the states, like Mass, who have these stupid safety feature regulations. No other reasons.

But, in reality, LCI's have been around for decades. I think they first came into being with the Walther PPK's.

·
Super Moderator
13,001 Posts
I think we may be "down" on something that is useful and essentially benign in function. Like Lawrence said, "...LCI's have been around for decades...".

The XD LCI, which was also on its predecessor, the HS2000, is the best I've seen on a gun. Most tend to make the indicator a part of the extractor and they can be quite difficult to be sure that the chamber is loaded, especially in the dark, under stressful conditions or both. Or they are simply a small hole in the top of the chamber that is useless in the dark and the gun must brought close to the eye to visually inspect if it's light.

The XD LCI is easy, quick, and sure - there's just no mistake. Plus it's in a much more convenient location - the top of the slide. The extractor type LCIs are covered by the holster, but the XD LCI can be accessed while completely holstered if the holster has any kind of "speed cut" at all.

Imagine this scenario. You've got a business associate with you in the car and you start to get out and you want to be sure that your gun has a round chambered, but you need to do it discretely. How do you do it? With the XD, as you get out, you simply check the LCI and nobody sees or knows what you did.

·
Registered
294 Posts
Did any of the guns that originally had loaded chamber indicators NOT have a slide stop that held the slide back after the last shot? If that were the case, perhaps its reason for existance was to indicate to the operator if he had to rack the slide after a reload. (If your last round from the original mag was in the chamber and you just reloaded, you wouldn't want to throw away that round. But you also wouldn't want to get back into the fight and have the gun go, "click".)

21 - 31 of 31 Posts