Defensive Carry banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
1,178 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
This is for those who keep harping that revolvers are just too bulky and heavy for carry. I sometimes have to wear dress slacks or dressier jeans, so I have put together a "light" EDC system for those occasions. The revolver is a S&W 637 Airweight, the knife is the Spyderco Native (short and light but still has lot's of blade), the light is a Streamlite Stylus Pro and the Bianchi Speed Strip of course. For this configuration I usually slide the 637 into an Uncle Mike's pocket holster as it is pretty much minimal in size. Everything is concealable and light.

·
Premium Member
5,765 Posts
Good system... I use my 642 for the same scenario... BTW Quick Strips makes 5 round (speed) quick strips, they're a little smaller....

·
Registered
5,327 Posts
I have a 340 M&P for the same idea. I also use the Streamlight like that but I use the Microstream, just a bit smaller. I too use the 6 round speed strips like that, loaded the same way, with GDHP 135 grain Short Barrel. Nice set up.

·
Registered
22,908 Posts
Thats pretty much whats in my pockets right now.

·
Registered
1,954 Posts

Bulky and heavy?
I don't understand:image035:

·
Registered
1,178 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I wear a 686 with 2 1/2" barrel in OWB on days that I can cover it. But there are days it just is too much!

·
Registered
148 Posts
I have almost the same setup here. Change the Spyderco out for a Leatherman Wave and I just recently replaced my Stylus pro with a 4Sevens Preon.
Even thought the Wave is much bulkier, I just can't be without it, so damn useful.
The Preon has several modes including dimmer and brighter than the Stylus which I think is more useful for day to day.
Carry the J in either a TuffProducts pocket holster or an Alabama Holster Appendix rig.
Still, things keep evolving, considering the addition of a small fixed blade for defensive purposes. Even though the Wave's blades are external, it's a bit awkward to get the right one. Wouldn't want to attack someone with the file ;)

·
Registered
2,848 Posts
The only thing I would change is the light, not enough lumens IMO, otherwise very nice system.

·
Registered
10,071 Posts
I carry speedstrips with my S&W 442, but I go ahead and put 6 rounds in it. I figure, why not? It's not taking up any more room, and what if I needed that last round? Any thoughts on that? Is there any particular reason NOT to carry 6? Just asking. Thanks.

·
Registered
1,178 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
“The only thing I would change is the light, not enough lumens IMO, otherwise very nice system”

I normally carry a Surefire G2.
Again, this system was meant for “lite” situations where the pockets could not hide much and there are no covering garments.

“I carry speedstrips with my S&W 442, but I go ahead and put 6 rounds in it. I figure, why not? It's not taking up any more room, and what if I needed that last round? Any thoughts on that? Is there any particular reason NOT to carry 6? Just asking. Thanks.”

Just my own philosophy on reloads. I have a lot of speed strips so I don’t worry about dropping one. That is the idea: reload and then drop strip, it is no longer in play. Sort of like the clip on a Garand. You use it, “ping” and it is gone. You don’t spend time looking for it or fumbling around trying to re-pocket it.

·
Registered
1,637 Posts
A good setup....I do a similar carry.....S&W 36, speed strips, Surefire G2 with an LED drop in, and a folding Buck knife.....gun goes in a De Santis Nemesis.

·
Registered
5,327 Posts
“The only thing I would change is the light, not enough lumens IMO, otherwise very nice system”

I normally carry a Surefire G2.
Again, this system was meant for “lite” situations where the pockets could not hide much and there are no covering garments.

“I carry speedstrips with my S&W 442, but I go ahead and put 6 rounds in it. I figure, why not? It's not taking up any more room, and what if I needed that last round? Any thoughts on that? Is there any particular reason NOT to carry 6? Just asking. Thanks.”

Just my own philosophy on reloads. I have a lot of speed strips so I don’t worry about dropping one. That is the idea: reload and then drop strip, it is no longer in play. Sort of like the clip on a Garand. You use it, “ping” and it is gone. You don’t spend time looking for it or fumbling around trying to re-pocket it.
You can insert two rounds leave a space and then insert three. That way you have two rounds lined up to insert for a reload, and three more to finish it. plus there is a space for you finger to grip the strip, and stabilize the first two rounds.

·
Super Moderator
50,610 Posts
Nice little 'snubbie'...I also have the S&W 637...a great little gun for a quick trip to the corner store. I still like my Glock-36, tucked into the kidney...don't even know it's there.:wave:

·
Registered
10,071 Posts
You can insert two rounds leave a space and then insert three. That way you have two rounds lined up to insert for a reload, and three more to finish it. plus there is a space for you finger to grip the strip, and stabilize the first two rounds.
That makes sense. I guess I was thinking if I had 6, and dropped a round while trying to load, I would have an extra. I guess a spot for your finger in the middle would make it much easier and quicker. Luckily, I've never been in a shoot-out and pray to keep it that way. I'm guessing in a SD situation, if I need to reload my 5 shot snub, I'm likely toast anyway. Thanks for the feedback.

·
Banned
10,182 Posts
I carry a 7 shot revolver all of the time and it's very easy to conceal and carry with the right holster.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts