·
Registered
1,406 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Reactions: 84160

·
Registered
588 Posts
AARP back-stabbed us on Obamacare. I really don't like them either.

·
Super Moderator
19,908 Posts
AARP is profoundly anti-gun, no matter what their rhetoric. Their leadership doesn't even offer a pretense of representing the wishes of their members, they just decide among themselves what they ought to support. I hope nobody thinks of them as a not-for-profit organization any more.

·
Registered
1,630 Posts
Poo Poo on the AARP.

·
Registered
929 Posts
AARP supports obamacare and gun control ... that's all I needed to know. Evidently, their concern for the well being of senior citizens is bottom on their list.

If there is ever a group of citizens that needs help in leveling the playing field when it comes to personal safety & defense, it's senior citizens

Reactions: 84160

·
Premium Member
3,841 Posts
The AARP turned into a money making scheme years ago - their insurance racket and other products feast on the elderly in our country. This became shockingly obvious when they supported Obamacare despite it's clearly inevitable (and well documented) negative impact on Medicare.

The AARP is just another liberal front organization.

·
Registered
562 Posts
I'm retired. My gun is not!

·
Banned
12,068 Posts
AARP is profoundly anti-gun, no matter what their rhetoric. Their leadership doesn't even offer a pretense of representing the wishes of their members, they just decide among themselves what they ought to support. I hope nobody thinks of them as a not-for-profit organization any more.
In my esteemed view AARP is right up there with USHA, United States Humane Association. USHA gives right about 1-1.5% of their donations to Animal Shelters across the board. Wow...that much?? The rest goes into their lavish pension plan, bonuses and salaries for the riff raff at the top of their phoney baloney outfit. If you wanna donate to animal organizations donate directly to your favorite and tell USHS to kiss off.

·
Premium Member
1,892 Posts
I dropped my membership and they have their numbers secret I have tried to see if they are gaining or losing members but I can't find any numbers. If any of you come across numbers of members please give me shout out.
Thanks Bill

·
Administrator
144,222 Posts
I think some folks say to join AARP to qualify for the Insurance benefits and then drop out but, keep the insurance.

·
Registered
116 Posts
I never joined aarpvaark in the first place. Then with their support for obamascare I was convinced they put their entity's success before their member's success. Eat it aarp! :hand1:

·
Premium Member
2,602 Posts
In my esteemed view AARP is right up there with USHA, United States Humane Association. USHA gives right about 1-1.5% of their donations to Animal Shelters across the board. Wow...that much?? The rest goes into their lavish pension plan, bonuses and salaries for the riff raff at the top of their phoney baloney outfit. If you wanna donate to animal organizations donate directly to your favorite and tell USHS to kiss off.
To be fair, The US Humane Society, USHS (is that what you mean?) is not purposed for Animal Shelter support. From their mission statement:
The Humane Society of the United States (HSUS) is the nation's largest and most effective animal protection organization. Established in 1954, The HSUS seeks a humane and sustainable world for all animals - a world that will also benefit people. We work to reduce suffering and to create meaningful social change for animals by advocating for sensible public policies, investigating cruelty and working to enforce existing laws, educating the public about animal issues, joining with corporations on behalf of animal-friendly policies, and conducting hands-on programs that make ours a more humane world. We are the lead disaster relief agency for animals, and we provide direct care for thousands of animals at our sanctuaries and rescue facilities, wildlife rehabilitation centers, and mobile veterinary clinics.
As for AARP, love me, love my dog (with the loud bark).

·
Super Moderator
19,908 Posts
To be fair, The US Humane Society, USHS (is that what you mean?) is not purposed for Animal Shelter support. From their mission statement:
Ummmm... you sure about that?

Center for Consumer Freedom ? Don?t mistake HSUS
Not only does HSUS have zero livestock veterinarians on its executive staff, but it has an ulterior agenda to end animal agriculture completely.

HSUS’s food policy director, a former PETA activist, has wildly compared using farm animals for food to the Nazi Holocaust. Its vice president for farm animal issues has said that “eating meat causes animal cruelty,” and its CEO is an avowed vegan who is not only against livestock farming and hunting but has even said “I don’t want to see another cat or dog born.”

Articles: The Animal Rights Extremists Nearing Victory in California

HSUS is the richest and most politically powerful Animal Rights organization in the world. They seek to synthesize an unnatural world devoid of all animal use including the abolition of pet ownership and animal-based farming. Their ultimate goal is nothing less than the extinction of all domestic species. Here is one of the more infamous quotes from the president of HSUS, Wayne Pacelle, which clearly conveys this horrific goal:

We have no ethical obligation to preserve the different breeds of livestock produced through selective breeding ...One generation and out. We have no problems with the extinction of domestic animals. They are creations of human selective breeding. - Animal People News, May 1993

·
Banned
2,647 Posts
I called and dropped AARP the day they announced their support of Obamacare, took me months to get my prepaid dues back and only after numerous calls. AARP, IMO, nothing more than a front used to sell insurance. They continue to send me insurance to this day and I continue to use their prepaid envelope to return the blank applications/literature. The latest report that I saw was that their annual revenue is $1,348,000,000.00, yes billion, of which only 20% is from membership fees and advertisement income.

·
Premium Member
2,602 Posts
Ummmm... you sure about that?
Honestly, no. USHS is a complicated organization. My point is that a low rate of funding shelters is not a condemnation of an organization that doesn't propose to support shelters. While your condemnation with links and leading me to further research seems more substantive, it still is not total, as an organization can fund veterinarians without employing any.
Further research finds a feud between USHS and Humanewatch, of Consumerfreedom (referenced by your two links).
USHS admits that its funding of animal shelters is in the low single digits. Humanewatch has problems with how USHS portrays itself with ads of pet cats and dogs. I believe that USHS is extreme in its views including opposition to game hunting, as I believe game hunters are better environmentalists than suits in ivory towers running mathematical models, computer simulations, and financial management apps. So I'm not advocating for USHS, just making a clarification of their stated mission for the sake of critical thought.

·
Super Moderator
18,232 Posts
1 - 20 of 40 Posts