Defensive Carry banner

1 - 20 of 78 Posts

·
Registered
2,416 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've seen a few shops around my area that have signs in the window telling people not to carry concealed inside. Now, for someone who carrys all the time would removing their weapon be undesirable? The place even offers CCW classes and gear for sale. I understand their reasons for not wanting someone concealed inside the store. What would someone do if they carry all the time and want to stop and take a look around? Would you just go in confident nobody is gonna notice anyway, would you remove your weapon inside the vehicle (and risk ppl seeing you do so)? Would you just not bother to stop in?

·
Registered
303 Posts
That's the biggest bunch of crap I've heard in a long time...... I would not shop there again. :rant:

·
Registered
133 Posts
I've seen a few shops around my area that have signs in the window telling people not to carry concealed inside. Now, for someone who carrys all the time would removing their weapon be undesirable? The place even offers CCW classes and gear for sale. I understand their reasons for not wanting someone concealed inside the store. What would someone do if they carry all the time and want to stop and take a look around? Would you just go in confident nobody is gonna notice anyway, would you remove your weapon inside the vehicle (and risk ppl seeing you do so)? Would you just not bother to stop in?
Wow....a GUN shop that prohibits guns :hand1:
I absolutely DONT understand their stance. Theyre selling guns and supposedly for the 2nd amendment, then strip their customers of their right to defend themselves with their guns ???

Frankly, this store would get a 'No Guns/No money" flyer/card and Id never shop there again.
http://web77.org/shotgunhunting/gallery/guns/_exa/ngnm.jpg.d/medium.jpg

The gun stores around town here where I live all encourage CC from what Ive seen. Its crazy for a gun store to have any other position.

·
Registered
1,954 Posts
A no gun sign anywhere simply means I go somewhere else to spend my money, period. Same goes for a gun shop.
Fortunately the world best gun shop is no more than a 15 minute drive for me:yup:

·
Registered
2,416 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Well, it's more than one place which is why I mentioned it here. I just like to look around sometimes on a whim.

Plus if you see the areas some of them are in...the types of people who walk through the door, well i'll just say it's alright to be nervous about them.

·
Premium Member
7,703 Posts
Those signs carry no weight of law here. If they discover you are CCW and ask you to leave you'll have to or you could be arrested for trespassing. It's not about 2A, it's about private property, safety and liability.

I dunno, I can sure understand how enough idiots could make a gun shop owner say no more loaded guns in his/her store. If my favorite gun shop did put up a sign then I'd have a chat with the owner before I just stopped shopping there.

So far though, none of the gun shops in my area prohibit CCW.

·
Registered
2,416 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Those signs carry no weight of law here. If they discover you are CCW and ask you to leave you'll have to or you could be arrested for trespassing.

I dunno, I can sure understand how enough idiots could make a gun shop owner say no more loaded guns in his/her store. If my favorite gun shop did put up a sign then I'd have a chat with the owner before I just stopped shopping there.

So far though, none of the shops in my area prohibit CCW.
That's the thing, I don't know the circumstances that occurred prior to the sign as I don't remember it a while back when I was there. I don't go there often at all, maybe a couple times a year to browse.

It could be like you said, some idiot unholstering his weapon and putting others in an uneasy state of mind.

·
Registered
225 Posts
Went the pet store on Saturday and had some time to kill, so I thought I'd stop at the nearby gun shop and scope out some new handgun stock.

I saw the "No Carry" sign from 20 ft away and just U turned. They weren't high on my list to start off with, but now they're not even on it.

·
Registered
2,416 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Went the pet store on Saturday and had some time to kill, so I thought I'd stop at the nearby gun shop and scope out some new handgun stock.

I saw the "No Carry" sign from 20 ft away and just U turned. They weren't high on my list to start off with, but now they're not even on it.
Yeah, I actually just like to go everywhere and ask how ammo is doing (can they get it easy, prices etc).

If I'm buying a firearm I have 2 places and 2 places only (becides ordering online and doing transfer).

·
Premium Member
156 Posts
my shop welcomes cc if they didn't no money form me.

·
Registered
2,374 Posts
We have a similar problem here. I bent over to pick up something I dropped and the guy at the counter saw part of my concealed weapon. He ask if it was loaded and I told him that there wasn't a round in the tube and it wasn't loaded. He got upset and told me I was breaking the law sense he saw the gun. He says he wants the gun locked open when I enter the shop. I have never run into this at any other range.

·
Registered
1,572 Posts
One local store and indoor rang has a sign on the door that says weapons should unloaded with action open. I figure they mean guns in my range bag, etc.

I actually inquired at the Reno Cabela's because they have a check your guns here desk. I asked the gentleman if it applied to carry weapons, and he answered that is was just for guns that were brought in the open. He said as long as I didn't plan on getting my carry piece out, there was no need for him to check it.

My recommendation would be to just ask them what they mean by their sign.

·
Registered
203 Posts
I bent over to pick up something I dropped and the guy at the counter saw part of my concealed weapon. He ask if it was loaded and I told him that there wasn't a round in the tube and it wasn't loaded. He got upset and told me I was breaking the law sense he saw the gun.
I was asking one of the guys at a local gun store some questions about types of ammo, seeing what he thought about the kind I was buying.

I'm a big time newbie so I wanted some advice. I came away thinking he didn't know much more than me.

Some of the guys at gun stores can be incredibly knowledgeable, and sometimes they can be surprisingly disinterested in guns. It sounds like that guy who got upset didn't really understand the law.

·
Registered
9 Posts
My gun goes EVERYWHERE that I go. If I can't carry in your store I don't go in your store. I will not compromise my safety for anyone and as far as stores, there are way to many who would like to do business with me and my gun for me to give any of my hard earned money to someone who doesn't respect our 2nd ammendment. . .especially for a gun purchase! :comeandgetsome::smoke23:

·
Registered
1,231 Posts
Had a local gunshop actually ask me if I was CC in a loud enough voice that everyone suddenly looked at me. No I wasn't printing, I review differant products and one of my lastest ones is from Maxpedition, and its a shoulder bag called the Fatboy Versipack. It has a CC pocket, but needless to say I was furious. Needless to say I will no longer shop there at all. Also it was the Owner of the store that did it.

·
Registered
149 Posts
Wow....a GUN shop that prohibits guns :hand1:
I absolutely DONT understand their stance. Theyre selling guns and supposedly for the 2nd amendment, then strip their customers of their right to defend themselves with their guns ???

Frankly, this store would get a 'No Guns/No money" flyer/card and Id never shop there again.
http://web77.org/shotgunhunting/gallery/guns/_exa/ngnm.jpg.d/medium.jpg

The gun stores around town here where I live all encourage CC from what Ive seen. Its crazy for a gun store to have any other position.
Yep, but I like these MUCH better: Free "No Guns, No Money" Cards

·
Registered
218 Posts
The one gun store I've been in locally has a range and has a sign that says guns are to be unloaded and in a bag. I haven't checked to see about cc while in the store yet.

Every employee, or nearly every one of them, in the store is open carrying though. The policy for customers could be to avoid confusion about people's intentions, to avoid confusing customers' own weapons with merchandise as a loss prevention policy, and to avoid accidents from idiots.

There are gun shop owners in the forum, right? What do you guys think?

Some of the guys at gun stores can be incredibly knowledgeable, and sometimes they can be surprisingly disinterested in guns.
At this store I was very impressed with the knowlege of everyone I talked to and their helpful attitude despite being jam packed every time I've been there.

1 - 20 of 78 Posts