Defensive Carry banner

1 - 20 of 73 Posts

·
Banned
2,625 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So I hear a lot of people say that a good holster and belt combo can make your gun "disappear". Maybe some of it is exaggeration, imagination or urban legend but I've read about full sized 1911's melting into a t-shirt and shorts getup.

I love my G19 and my XD45c both of which have medium length handles. I carry IWB at the 3.30 position. But the handles print. Especially when I fold my arms or bend down to pick my daughter up. Tighter shirts also expose the handle. When I wear tighter and lighter colored clothes I default to the G26 or if nothing else, my LCP. But I love carrying my G19.

I wear a Galco gun belt (1.5 inches wide) and a Galco Triton Kydex IWB holster at 3.30. I have my cell phone and spare mag at 10.30 and 8.30 respectively. And I drape my polos or t shirts over everything. I'm a medium sized shirt guy wearing larges so the fit is pretty loose.

So my question is: what's the secret? Is there a difference in the level of concealment between a cheapie uncle mike's, a midrange Galco or a fancy Crossbreed? Have you ever successfully hidden a compact or full size length handle under all posture conditions? Does carry position matter? How about belt tension?

I'm ok switching to a smaller gun. I just don't like it. I'd carry my G19 every day if I could completely hide it (which I can't - I've had one or two printing days already with the 19, mostly on tighter and lighter colored shirts. It still conceals well under baggy dark shirts)

Appreciate your input!

·
Premium Member
37,641 Posts
The Triton has a narrow front-to-rear profile, and is wide by design. It does nothing to draw the grip of the gun up against the body. If you want an IWB kydex holster which will make your gun disappear, give this one a try. If you don't like it, I will buy it off you for what you have in it. Ohio Special IWB - MidWorld Holster

Reactions: DetChris

·
Registered
287 Posts
idk I print sometimes but it doesn't bother me to much unless my gun would be exposed never has so it dont bother me most people dont even pay attention to it remember its not illegal to print I carry a glock 27 and my revolver never prints

·
Premium Member
37,641 Posts
idk I print sometimes but it doesn't bother me to much unless my gun would be exposed never has so it dont bother me most people dont even pay attention to it remember its not illegal to print I carry a glock 27 and my revolver never prints
You have a Glock 27 revolver?

·
Super Moderator
50,611 Posts
One has to find that right 'niche' in the body to CC. A well-boned holster and a good belt make a lot of difference in CC.
Lastly, keep in mind it IS the grip and not the barrel length that creates difficulty in concealment.
A 15-20 degree forward cant inside a quality holster that hugs the body under a looser fitting shirt SHOULD make the gun all but disappear.
You can't wear a shirt that advertises your muscle and hides a good size firearm at the same time...I'm just sayin'...(My muscles have all gone south for the winter, so it's not one of my concerns.)

That said, one might faintly show the 'possibility' of a concealed firearm when reaching up high, twisting and bending, or just raising the arms overhead...that's life...just be aware of those instances and act carefully.

That's my story, and I'm sticking to it.:yup:

·
Banned
2,625 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I want a Glock revolver too! Anyway I digress :)

I am a firm believer in "concealed means concealed". Not everyone around me is gun tolerant. Heck, there are people who don't even know concealed carry laws existed. I don't want to freak them out or draw any attention. And I like the element of surprise should someone try something stupid.

·
Premium Member
7,276 Posts
I'm going to second trying a different holster. I don't know a thing about your Galco, but not every holster works for every body type and carry position. Maybe give a different kydex rig a try and see how it works for you. The one Mike1956 suggests looks like a solid choice, though I have no experience with them, or maybe a hybrid like a SHTF Ace. I think either one may offer you some difference in how much printing you get.

One more note, unless you are really doing some 'deep' concealment like something that is really way down into your waist, just about every gun is going to print sometimes. It's all but impossible to conceal something like a pistol and eliminate every possible tell. The thing is, nobody is going to be more aware of that than you are, so part of it, IMO, is just carrying confidently and trusting your equipment. Most folks walk around in a permanent state of cranial rectal inversion; they just aren't going to notice a small print every so often.

·
Registered
2,167 Posts
This is the IWB holster I use. There are a lot of good ones out there just have to find the one that works for you and dress around the gun , not the other way around. I carry a Glock 23 and one would never know I have it. I typically wear Cargo shorts and a T-shirt.

Handmade Hybrid IWB Holsters | Ozarks Holster Company

·
Banned
2,625 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
The Triton has a narrow front-to-rear profile, and is wide by design. It does nothing to draw the grip of the gun up against the body. If you want an IWB kydex holster which will make your gun disappear, give this one a try. If you don't like it, I will buy it off you for what you have in it. Ohio Special IWB - MidWorld Holster
Thanks for the tip! Whoa, $75?? This will be my most expensive holster yet.

·
Super Moderator
22,322 Posts
Wide in which way, Mike? I have a Galco Triton, it's narrow and thin.

Reactions: RETSUPT99

·
Premium Member
7,276 Posts
Thanks for the tip! Whoa, $75?? This will be my most expensive holster yet.
I'll say this, you will probably have little success finding anything well made for much less; a little less, maybe, but not a lot less.

FWIW, I use a Blade-Tech Nano and I've been very happy with it. I carry AIWB with it, but it does have one adjustment for cant and I used to carry it in the same position that you currently use and it worked great there as well.

Blade-Tech Nano

·
Registered
289 Posts
This topic is perfect today. Last night I was wearing my full sized M&P9 in an OWB holster under a pretty loose Hawaiian shirt at about 4:30. As I was doing dishes, my wife sarcastically pointed out that I was "showing pretty badly." I shifted it around to 3:00 and it was better but not as comfortable. I don't intend to carry this regularly, but thought I'd try it out at home under a nice loose shirt. I guess it was a big "fail."

·
Registered
1,131 Posts
FOR ME, a 3:00 positioning doesn't work nearly as well for CC as does a 4:00-4:30, behind the hip carry. in the latter position, the gun isn't visible from directly in front, and the curve into the small of the back makes a 'pocket' to keep the gun butt from printing as much. it's a tiny bit slower to access, and really needs a holster that is FBI, or forward tilted.

i've carried a Glock 19 and several Sigs in that position for years without anyone seeing the gun or suspecting that it was there, (at least so far as i know). i'm 5'7", 150 pounds, so it's not like i'm so huge that anything would disappear on me. i usually carry OWB, which should be less concealable, although i occasionally carry a Sig IWB in a Galco NSA, IWB holster.

try moving your holster/gun further around in back of you, and see if that doesn't make the fact that you're armed harder to detect.

when you're armed like this, avoid bending over at the waist. squat with your legs instead. use your non-dominant arm to reach up for things, to avoid pulling up your cover garment and exposing the gun. and when you're about to sit down in a dining room-type chair, be aware not to catch the butt of your gun on the back rungs of the chair as you lower yourself.

YMMV: i realize i sounded a bit too definitive in my original post. body shape, holster and gun combinations, the way one typically dresses - all these things can affect how well or poorly a particular carry method will work for an individual.

·
Premium Member
37,641 Posts
Wide in which way, Mike? I have a Galco Triton, it's narrow and thin.

Wider at the points where the clip attaches compared to the Watch Six design on the left.

·
Registered
25 Posts
I also carry a Glock 19 and personally I think your body type is a big factor in what works and what doesn't. I have Crossbreed Super Tuk and a Remora holster and for me I get best results at 4:00 - 4:30 position. I experimented with 3:00 last weekend and while standing up straight in front of a mirror it concealed fairly well but I didn't feel it concealed all that well moving and bending. After about 30 minutes I moved it back to 4:30 and it just seemed to work better (for me).

·
Premium Member
37,641 Posts
i don't think that a 3:00 positioning works nearly as well for CC as does a 4:00-4:30, behind the hip carry. in the latter position, the gun isn't visible from directly in front, and the curve into the small of the back makes a 'pocket' to keep the gun butt from printing as much. it's a tiny bit slower to access, and really needs a holster that is FBI, or forward tilted.

i've carried a Glock 19 and several Sigs in that position for years without anyone seeing the gun or suspecting that it was there, (at least so far as i know). i'm 5'7", 150 pounds, so it's not like i'm so huge that anything would disappear on me. i usually carry OWB, which should be less concealable, although i occasionally carry a Sig IWB in a Galco NSA, IWB holster.

try moving your holster/gun further around in back of you, and see if that doesn't make the fact that you're armed harder to detect.
It depends on one's shape and waist size, I'm thinking. I have a 32" waist. At 3:00, my full-size M&P vanishes, while at 4:30, my Glock 19 prints like a gym bag.

·
Premium Member
7,276 Posts
I think bending is the one thing that you really have to make a conscious effort to change if you want to avoid big printing issues, especially if you carry anywhere from the 3:00 to 5:00 postion. I trained myself to always bend at the knees and pick things up with a straight torso. The side benefit is that it's the best way to pick anything up and does the most to protect your easily tweaked back muscles.

·
Premium Member
37,641 Posts
I think bending is the one thing that you really have to make a conscious effort to change if you want to avoid big printing issues, especially if you carry anywhere from the 3:00 to 5:00 postion. I trained myself to always bend at the knees and pick things up with a straight torso. The side benefit is that it's the best way to pick anything up and does the most to protect your easily tweaked back muscles.
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
This

1 - 20 of 73 Posts