Defensive Carry banner

1 - 20 of 36 Posts

·
Premium Member
4,562 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Previously mentioned giving up on .380 and going with j frames for CCW.

Have a bunch of .380 to shoot before selling the pistols.

Guess what blew up at the range today? The Ruger LCP II. Extractor blew apart. Got hit in the face. Small bruise that smarts nothing serious. Picked up some of the pieces.

Waiting to hear back from Ruger customer service.

I’m done with .380. It was a good decision.

·
Registered
7,166 Posts
Let me guess...you ran some off brand ammo through it?

It takes a LOT of work to blow up any Ruger.

Once when I was reloading .38 Special for competition, I had one of those dies that detects double charges in one station on my turret press. The indicator rod nearly jumped out of the die on one. I stopped and took the case in question out of the press and dumped the powder in a scale. It had a TRIPLE charge of Bullseye, which in a .38 isn't much powder, but I calculated it potentially would have developed about 50% more chamber pressure than a .357 Magnum. That would have made for a very bad day, even in a S&W Model 14.

·
Registered
4,037 Posts
Well, I have carried a couple of pocket 380s over the years and my limited experience is they do not hold up to any serious training. If you don't run them too much they are probably fine but, there is a point of diminishing returns as we shrink mechanisms ever smaller.
642 is all I pocket these days and even though I have run it hard enough to wear most of the finish off and the lockup is a tad looser it still functions like it should. My stainless Rossi snub has uncounted 1,000's of rounds through it over its 26 year carry life and still going strong.
As I said, one persons experience does not mean much but, its all I have to go by.

·
Registered
7,166 Posts
@forester58 That is exactly right. There is one rule I have always adhered to: The size of the gun is directly proportional to how many hours it should spend on the range. There are some exceptions to that rule like this infernal thing:

I would hesitate to run a strip of toy pistol caps through it.

·
Premium Member
4,562 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Let me guess...you ran some off brand ammo through it?

It takes a LOT of work to blow up any Ruger.

Once when I was reloading .38 Special for competition, I had one of those dies that detects double charges in one station on my turret press. The indicator rod nearly jumped out of the die on one. I stopped and took the case in question out of the press and dumped the powder in a scale. It had a TRIPLE charge of Bullseye, which in a .38 isn't much powder, but I calculated it potentially would have developed about 50% more chamber pressure than a .357 Magnum. That would have made for a very bad day, even in a S&W Model 14.
No. Federal HST.

The pistol had maybe 70 rounds on it from another trip.

None of the older LCP pistols ever had this issue. Ruger makes a quality firearm in my experience. This one is defective.

·
Registered
7,166 Posts
Can you tell from the serial number when it was made? Recent? Or old?

Any ammunition can be a problem. The 380 is relatively low pressure 21.5K psi (IIRC) but a double powder charge could easily cause real problems.

Reactions: 10thmtn

·
Premium Member
7,277 Posts
Since my health issues keep me from shooting the thousands of rounds per year that used to be normal for me, and now 60 rounds of .380 is about my upper limit for one range session with any of my .380's I think they are all good for a long time for me: Two SIG's, one M&P and one Glock. Add to that the fact that none of them gets used more than once every 3 weeks, and I only use decent brands of ammo, I'm pretty sure that, barring a truly defective gun, I'm good for a very long time, and most will be in great shape to be passed to my "heirs and assigns" when that time comes.

I'm sure glad I have my .22lr handguns to use to fill out the remainder of my weekly range sessions! The days (weeks) of shooting several hundred rounds a day at a week long SD shooting school are long, long gone for this old shooter.

·
Premium Member
1,869 Posts
I have about 2K + on my LCPII. Replaced the recoil springs, now I'm just putting a few mags through it each time at the range. It has been fine since the spring change, but I'm trying not to wear it out. Like others have said, I don't think it's meant for hard extended usage. Looking for a 642 snub, but guess it'll have to wait until after the worst of this stupid shortage passes (if it ever does).

·
Premium Member
4,562 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Can you tell from the serial number when it was made? Recent? Or old?

Any ammunition can be a problem. The 380 is relatively low pressure 21.5K psi (IIRC) but a double powder charge could easily cause real problems.
Recent as in last 6 months. I haven’t used the .380 HST in large numbers. No problems previously.

Reactions: OldChap

·
Premium Member
1,869 Posts
@ctr - I haven't used any Federal HST ammo in my LCPII, so don't know if that would make any difference. I wouldn't think the ammo would be the problem. I use either WWB flat nose or Hornady 90 gr. XTP. If it's a new gun like that, it must be defective. I dunno.

Glad you're OK, though!

·
Premium Member
4,562 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
@ctr - I haven't used any Federal HST ammo in my LCPII, so don't know if that would make any difference. I wouldn't think the ammo would be the problem. I use either WWB flat nose or Hornady 90 gr. XTP. If it's a new gun like that, it must be defective. I dunno.

Glad you're OK, though!
Thanks. Important to always wear eye protection. Confident the issue is the firearm. Used the same ammo in a different pistol without issue.

Reactions: Wavygravy

·
Registered
10,875 Posts
Wrong lesson. The real lesson here is; two is one, and one is none.

I’ve had bad ammo lock up my revolver, twice.

I’ve had all kinds of ammo and mechanical malfunctions with semi autos.

With long guns, I’ve had bolt actions and pump actions malfunction due to mechanical defects from the factory. Semi autos? Too many malfs to count.

Guns are machines. They break. It happens.

Glad you’re ok!

PS, I tote a brace of 11 year old gen-1 LCPs almost daily. They do get shot. I would prefer snub revolvers, but the .380s conceal better and it’s much easier to carry spare ammo.

A NAA Mini revolver is easier to carry than a speed loader...just sayin.

·
Registered
7,166 Posts
Recent as in last 6 months. I haven’t used the .380 HST in large numbers. No problems previously.
I was asking because I was wondering if this stupid China pestilence might have had an effect on quality control. I guess it might be possible.

Anyway, I'm sure Ruger will make it right for you.

Reactions: 10thmtn and ctr

·
Registered
34,690 Posts
I think the extractor broke because you limp wrist. Now prove me wrong...

I have seen guns break where they couldn't be used, but I've never had it happen to me . . . yet.

·
Premium Member
4,562 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Wrong lesson. The real lesson here is; two is one, and one is none.

I’ve had bad ammo lock up my revolver, twice.

I’ve had all kinds of ammo and mechanical malfunctions with semi autos.

With long guns, I’ve had bolt actions and pump actions malfunction due to mechanical defects from the factory. Semi autos? Too many malfs to count.

Guns are machines. They break. It happens.

Glad you’re ok!

PS, I tote a brace of 11 year old gen-1 LCPs almost daily. They do get shot. I would prefer snub revolvers, but the .380s conceal better and it’s much easier to carry spare ammo.

A NAA Mini revolver is easier to carry than a speed loader...just sayin.
The original LCP seemed more stout to me. I owned a brace of them as well.

Reactions: 10thmtn

·
Premium Member
4,562 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
I think the extractor broke because you limp wrist. Now prove me wrong...

I have seen guns break where they couldn't be used, but I've never had it happen to me . . . yet.
If that’s true I’m getting old. Not limp wristing the .45.

·
Registered
34,690 Posts
If that’s true I’m getting old. Not limp wristing the .45.
Because you know you've got to hang on to a .45!

Reactions: ctr

·
Registered
5,922 Posts
I have two 10 year anniversary edition LCP's. Not a big fan of the .380, but Ruger makes a good one that you can stuff in a pocket and conceal in anything. That is what it was designed to do. Ruger makes quality stuff, but things do happen. Send it back to Customer Service and get back in the saddle and go.

I bought a stock once. It went down. I am done with stocks, and will never buy another. See how this sounds? Same thing with guns. Some times you fail, most of the time you get it right. Keep on til you get it right.

·
Registered
8,553 Posts
I think I'm about to get away from the .380 also, actually micro autos in general. My pet theory is they don't have enough space for the machinery to get everything done reliably. But really it's that they just don't inspire confidence. I never thought I'd say it, but as someone mentioned, I'm starting to think about an NAA mini revolver as a BUG and an option for non-permissive (but still legal) environments. If the premise is that a micro gun is for "bad breath range" where it's hard to miss, they make a big bang and they do put holes in bodies, including heads.

1 - 20 of 36 Posts