Defensive Carry banner

21 - 36 of 36 Posts

·
Registered
8,593 Posts
Have a bunch of .380 to shoot before selling the pistols.
My guess is that with the ammo shortage, you could make a trade for a caliber you wanted on GunTrader or someplace like that. .380 is pretty popular and hard to find.

·
Premium Member
4,578 Posts
Discussion Starter #22
I think I'm about to get away from the .380 also, actually micro autos in general. My pet theory is they don't have enough space for the machinery to get everything done reliably. But really it's that they just don't inspire confidence. I never thought I'd say it, but as someone mentioned, I'm starting to think about an NAA mini revolver as a BUG and an option for non-permissive (but still legal) environments. If the premise is that a micro gun is for "bad breath range" where it's hard to miss, they make a big bang and they do put holes in bodies, including heads.
I have come to the same conclusion on micro autos. Thinking about adding a G26 for those rare times I want more than a J frame.

·
Registered
367 Posts
Sorry to read this happened to you ctr and I doubt it was a limp wristing issue, :)
I have put well over a thousand rounds through my LCP and it has never hiccupped. I sincerely believe you are correct in assuming that it was a defect. Please let us know what Ruger has to say. Glad you weren't severely injured.

·
Registered
4,534 Posts
When I worked, a pocket 380 was often "best I could do" in work attire.
No longer limited by work attire, smallest I carry is a Glock 19/23, under my sloven untucked shirt. :)

Reactions: 1gunsnowbird

·
Registered
975 Posts
OP - This sounds like deja vu all over again. Earlier this year, I was shooting a BUG match and one of my fellow shooters asked if he could scavenge my brass (I was shooting Critical Defense with the nickel-coated brass). I said, sure.

After the first stage he brought some of my brass up and showed me a dent in the side of the casing. As the match went on, he found more and more of MY brass with the dents. I took pictures and sent them to Ruger CS (no longer located in Arizona, but North Carolina, I think). They provided a shipping label and turned the gun around in a week, with a new barrel and new extractor. The gun ran fine but still dented the shell casing, so they sent me another new extractor and two more for my other LCPIIs.

Despite their excellent response, I had lost confidence in the guns and have since sold two of them, with one more going on the block this fall. I'm not sure if this is related to your incident, but it may be.

I've since picked up a Glock 42 for deep concealment and occasional pocket carry in the right pants with big pockets. I've never read or heard ANYTHING alarming about the G42s blowing up or having any serious issues since they got the birthing pains resolved a couple years ago. I only got a chance to shoot it a few times before the virus hit, but I plan to put a front night sight on it and keep it bone stock, except for some Pearce Grip +1 mag extensions on a couple of mags and maybe a GEE plate on one for pocket carry.

·
Registered
26 Posts
Just be glad it happened during a practice session, and not during a 'yutes' home invasion.

All guns need to be broken in, cleaned, lubed, inspected... as required. Smaller guns will sometimes need a fluff and buff. Spent brass, already mentioned, needs inspection too.

My Ruger LCPii runs perfectly.
My Ruger LCP custom runs perfectly.
Both of my Taurus TCP 738's run perfectly. One needed a serious fluff and buff.

I don't run reloads or unknowns.

Problem is many ammo companies pushing the ammo. 80-95 grain is plenty for a 380. Not sure why 99-102gr are even made. And, a few manufacturers sell their mega powder dose(probably .1 gr more) ++P++++++ megaloads too.

Because of my previous experience with a few Seecamps(talk about ammo picky), all my carry ammo is length measured and weighed. Ramping up production over the years means lower quality ammo from ALL. OAL varies too much within a box. And, weight should help find the over/under powder charges.

Thank you Charter and Taurus... both offering 380 revolvers which shoot all my questionably purchased mallninjageewhizunobtainiumexoticdinosaurslaughterer ammo that didn't feel safe carry in my pocket 380 automatics, along with the iffy measured name brand stuff.

·
Registered
5,990 Posts
I agree that the pocket .380's service life is somewhat limited compared to service sized pistols. Back when I worked narcotics we were issued Sig P-232's which are not pocket sized, IMO. They were great shooting .380's and we had to shoot a regular combat type qualification course with them. I don't recall ever having a malfunction with them and I'll bet it would take a LOT of rounds to wear one out! YMMV! :D

Reactions: Kilowatt3

·
Premium Member
4,578 Posts
Discussion Starter #28
I agree that the pocket .380's service life is somewhat limited compared to service sized pistols. Back when I worked narcotics we were issued Sig P-232's which are not pocket sized, IMO. They were great shooting .380's and we had to shoot a regular combat type qualification course with them. I don't recall ever having a malfunction with them and I'll bet it would take a LOT of rounds to wear one out! YMMV! :D
The P232 was a great pistol but the first double action pull was quite a reach for those with small hands. I eventually sold mine off.

Reactions: 5lima30ret

·
Registered
29 Posts
Tossing in my 2 cents. I have a Glock 42 for summer carry. I practice with it each range trip. I would guess it has 1000 rounds through it or more. I have had zero issues with it. I did change out the sights for night sights. My Ruger experience was the guns were to small to comfortably hold correctly and fire. You could hide them behind your ear they just weren’t comfortable enough for practice.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Premium Member
1,875 Posts
"My Ruger experience was the guns were to small to comfortably hold correctly and fire." ~ @knsbbq

I'll differ there. I took my LCPII to the range today to make sure the new recoil springs were broken in (changed them at 2000+ rounds) and put 100 rounds of WWB flat nose through it. Works like new. I had 2 fliers out of 100 rounds, the rest were within a 4" circle at 10 yards. Not slow fire, either. The LCPII shoots just fine imo.

·
Premium Member
4,578 Posts
Discussion Starter #32
Update: Ruger CS asked to see the pistol.

·
Registered
5,990 Posts
My LCP II is about as pleasant as a root canal, but it's reliable and accurate.
My LCP Gen 2 (not LCP II) is not pleasant to shoot but is reliable...for me. That being said, my last (3) root canals were w/o any Novacaine or anesthetic! So YMMV :D

·
Premium Member
1,044 Posts
Previously mentioned giving up on .380 and going with j frames for CCW.

Have a bunch of .380 to shoot before selling the pistols.

Guess what blew up at the range today? The Ruger LCP II. Extractor blew apart. Got hit in the face. Small bruise that smarts nothing serious. Picked up some of the pieces.

Waiting to hear back from Ruger customer service.

I’m done with .380. It was a good decision.
as my EDC I no longer carry my BT

·
Premium Member
1,044 Posts
Having problems with the reply format. Even though I no longer carry my Bera BT380 as my EDC, I'm still partial to it. It's bigger than the Ruger LPs and also has a bit longer barrel. the only reason I up-calibered to the BT 9UC was I became a member of our Church security team.

·
Registered
56 Posts
Have a 2009 model LCP, that has had zero issues, shooting everything up to Golden Saber 102 grain without any issues. The only thing I've replaced in 11 years are the grips; with the Hogue Recoil reduction grips. Zero parts have been replaced, and it certainly has gone through 1000+ rounds. Come to think of it, I only have one firearm I have replaced the spring and firing pin on, and that is my Buckmark Practical 22. It probably has 5000+ rounds through it. The only firearms I ever had a part break were a PMR30 firing pin, and P938 two piece guide rod coming apart while shooting. Actually find the LCP quite reliable, and accurate for the mouse gun it is.

21 - 36 of 36 Posts