Defensive Carry banner

1 - 20 of 36 Posts

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Well i just got my new OWB from winthrop holsters for my 229. Going to wear it but have a t shirt over the top. Definitely wont cover the whole gun but im not worried. Going to keep a log of any interactions in this thread. FYI i am in the Pittsburgh area in case others search for this.

·
Registered
10,313 Posts
Im guessing if a t shirt covers over half the gun nobody will notice it unless you make it a point to get them to notice.
Very true. Amazing how inattentive folks are.

Reactions: StormRhydr

·
Registered
4,193 Posts
Enjoy and stay safe!

·
Registered
2,645 Posts
In my opinion, it does not matter so much how one carries as it does that they always carry. A sidearm is only good if you have it when you need it.

Carry constantly, stay safe.

·
Registered
1,885 Posts
best of luck to you. you have you're LTCF too? dont want them to try to hastle you since it will be partially covered. OC is perfectly legal in PA just you need your LTCF to conceal it.

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
best of luck to you. you have you're LTCF too? dont want them to try to hastle you since it will be partially covered. OC is perfectly legal in PA just you need your LTCF to conceal it.
Yes i do have my LTCF. My 229 feels better on the outside though.

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Day 1. Pretty obvious what i had on me. Its not what i would call small. Walked the dog with my gf on the running trail by PNC park and Heinz Field. Went to dinner in southside Pittsburgh at a mongolian grill. Then got ice cream and walked the street for about 30 minutes in a VERY crowded area. Not a word said by anyone. Kinda surprised personally.

·
Registered
4,193 Posts
Thanks for the update. Glad it is going well!

·
Registered
1,110 Posts
Nice thread, I will be monitoring this daily, i'm curious to hear how the general public react to you. I may just do something similar myself after august 1st when alabama statute is worded so there is no confusion as to whether OC is legal.

Thanks for the thread.
Sara Lou

·
Premium Member
6,622 Posts
I detest IWB carry. My larger sized carry guns are an M&P compact 9, and G 19s.

I went to our local summerfest, and carried a G 19, OWB in a bladetech paddle holster, with sort of a bowling shirt open, but over it. Wind was blowing a bit, and while I didnt try to display anything, I also didnt really care very much. It was legal for me to carry, etc.

Never got one second look from anyone. I have come to the conclusion that people see guns all the time on the "street". Most likely from LE. So its the person and their actions that draw attention, or not.

A respectable looking person, going about their business, not acting crazy, or waving a gun, or whatever, I dont think bothers people as much as we might think.

How many times have YOU seen someone with a gun, but simply assumed that they were LE? I think that happens more often than we think.

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Picked up a new galco gunbelt today. Cant be wearing a $1k gun with a 9.99 belt. And it was sagging a bit. Damn this belt is stiff, yet comfortable.

·
Registered
96 Posts
Welcome to comfortable carry. Glad to hear you got a good belt, definitely needed for owb carry with a heavy gun. I'll let ya know that you should get use to nothing happening. I use to OC a P226(without a t-shirt over it) and most people never noticed.

Keep carrying how you want. Concealed, kind of concealed, or open, it doesn't matter as long as you're legal and you're carrying.

·
Registered
748 Posts
Picked up a new galco gunbelt today. Cant be wearing a $1k gun with a 9.99 belt. And it was sagging a bit. Damn this belt is stiff, yet comfortable.
As long as you're wearing boxers and shooting your gun sideways, there's not problem with that.

·
Registered
204 Posts
Welcome to the fold. I'm right up outside of New Castle. I open carry quite often. The only super negative encounter I had was in Pittsburgh. This was how it went:

There was a little learning going on that day.

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Thats a little over the top by the PPD. Where were you that they said you were on private property? Cant tell from the audio.

·
Registered
96 Posts
People are so selfabsorbed anymore with their phones and other crap, who would notice. Its a wonder more people arnt killed from not paying attention to life. Herd thinning anyway lol

·
Registered
204 Posts
Thats a little over the top by the PPD. Where were you that they said you were on private property? Cant tell from the audio.
I was right in front of the Consol Energy Center, on the triangle of sidewalk that runs to the street.

·
Registered
96 Posts
16 Open Carriers vs Several Police Officers! - YouTube

This is an example of over the top. A group of OCers that meet regularly in Kansas City had to deal with a MWAG call. It seems about a third of KCPD showed up at the Stake and Shake they were at. I wasn't there but the good thing that happened was that it seems every KC LEO knows about it and that OC is legal.

So if ya worry about an encounter, don't assume there are strength in numbers. Of course if I was a cop and had a call of 16 MWAG I'd call for backup too.

·
Administrator
144,341 Posts
I was right in front of the Consol Energy Center, on the triangle of sidewalk that runs to the street.
That was handled very well. Pittsburgh residents and visitors to Pittsburgh DO need to be made aware of the fact that if anybody calls in a MWAG (Man With A Gun) call on you that you ARE absolutely going to experience a LEO encounter until such times as local law is changed.

Pittsburgh City Police are required to respond to and "investigate" all MWAG calls so they are really in a Catch 22 type of situation.

Just have all of your ducks in a row and know that PA. State law is silent on Open Carry and therefore open carry is not specifically prohibited.

You also need to know your PA vehicle law if you are open carrying without a PA license to carry concealed.

1 - 20 of 36 Posts