Defensive Carry banner

About to join the OC party

3K views 35 replies 17 participants last post by  JeffInPA 
Welcome to the fold. I'm right up outside of New Castle. I open carry quite often. The only super negative encounter I had was in Pittsburgh. This was how it went:

There was a little learning going on that day.

Thats a little over the top by the PPD. Where were you that they said you were on private property? Cant tell from the audio.
I was right in front of the Consol Energy Center, on the triangle of sidewalk that runs to the street.

That was handled very well. Pittsburgh residents and visitors to Pittsburgh DO need to be made aware of the fact that if anybody calls in a MWAG (Man With A Gun) call on you that you ARE absolutely going to experience a LEO encounter until such times as local law is changed.

Pittsburgh City Police are required to respond to and "investigate" all MWAG calls so they are really in a Catch 22 type of situation.

Just have all of your ducks in a row and know that PA. State law is silent on Open Carry and therefore open carry is not specifically prohibited.

You also need to know your PA vehicle law if you are open carrying without a PA license to carry concealed.
Thanks, it was pretty exciting when they called Cujo in. There is no law requiring LEOs to respond to an MWAG call. It may be departmental policy, but they are not required by any law to respond. While Commonwealth law is silent on open carry, there are a few court cases affirming the right to openly carry, chiefly the Commonwealth v Hawkins and the Commonwealth v Ortiz. Carrying a gun in a car is not about "carrying" the gun as much as it is about transporting it. A LTCF is required to transport a loaded handgun in PA, so one would need the LTCF in order to open carry while in/on any motor conveyance. A LTCF is also required to carry either openly or concealed in a city of the first class, in a declared state of emergency, or within a thousand feet of a school.

Good stuff.

Who was the annoying broad that kept telling you to respect the police and show them your ID?
I can't remember her name. My favorite was when I mentioned that the police are supposed to respect the citizens' rights, and she replied, "Thats a problem."
Why yes, sweetheart, that is a problem.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.