Defensive Carry banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
871 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I hear all about how Kimbers are not up to par with Colt from so many, yet Kimber does have parts available. I have a Colt Defender made in 1999....need a recoil spring....none available on third party sites like Brownells, Midway, etc. Call Colt and they essentially tell me too bad...they can't get one.

Ok....I ask if I can use a sub from a Kimber or other officers 1911. Of course, they don't know. So I need some help. Has anyone tried to use a Kimber or another recoil assembly in a Defender? Anyone have any advice on this issue. Thanks

·
Registered
871 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Have you tried looking Wolff gunsprings? They should have anything

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Thanks...found at Wolf...they were helpful....thanks for all the help.

·
Registered
871 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
:35: I love a happy ending!! Especially when it's quick :yup:
Sorry for the rant...guess I was just surprised at how unhelpful and seemingly unconcerned Colt was.

Reactions: blackhawkfann24

·
Registered
45 Posts
Kind of a pain to disassemble the captive Defender spring. Just an FYI the 3" Kimber's captive model will work in a Defender/New Agent.

I've got a few thousand through my New Agent and have not changed the spring yet. I do have a spare ready but she's just chugging along nicely.

·
Registered
871 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Reactions: hkusp9f and Gabill

·
Registered
8,100 Posts
Kimber is not up to par, says people who don't own kimbers. I've been very happy with the two I've owned. People who do own kimbers usually are.

·
Registered
871 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Plus 1 on the Kimber assembly; works great and fits better than the Colt's part.
I need more info on how I put the kimber recoil assembly in the Colt. My Defender has an outer spring that goes over the guide rod, but has the inner captive spring inside the guide. Do I just buy the Kimber assembly and put that in? Not understanding how this works for they are different type assemblies. Thanks

·
Registered
1,311 Posts
Kimber is not up to par, says people who don't own kimbers. I've been very happy with the two I've owned. People who do own kimbers usually are.
Sadly, Kimbers are the Taurus of the 1911 world. Meaning, they catch all the grief.

I don't own one, and can't say either way. Just an observation.

Sent from my SM-G900P using Tapatalk

·
Administrator
143,579 Posts
A good bit of information to know is that most firearm manufacturers do not fabricate their gun springs in house.

The various springs are usually subbed out.

·
Registered
45 Posts
I need more info on how I put the kimber recoil assembly in the Colt. My Defender has an outer spring that goes over the guide rod, but has the inner captive spring inside the guide. Do I just buy the Kimber assembly and put that in? Not understanding how this works for they are different type assemblies. Thanks
It goes like this.
-Buy the Kimber spring assembly you need (.45 or 9mm)
-Remove Colt spring assembly (the whole thing, rod and springs)
-Drop in Kimber part
-Reassemble gun
-Done

1 - 20 of 24 Posts