Defensive Carry banner

1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
96 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just wondering what an acceptable time is to get a hit on target from concealment might be?

Brother and I were running some drills today and we both avg right around 2.05 to get a shot on target from the 4pm position.

I'm no so confident that this is an acceptable time in a self defense situation.

Thoughts?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
132 Posts
Stats show the average person can cover 21 feet in 1.5 seconds. Guess you best not let them inside 28, and that is a tie. You lose ties.

Reactions: CDW4ME

·
Registered
4,189 Posts
Train/practice to become smooth, consistent and controlled. Don't worry about time so much, time is a game oriented imperative. I am not suggesting that speed is not important but things like tactics and strategic can be more important. Most self defense gun fights do not boil down to speed of drawn being the determining factor. Can it be?.. sure. Is that factor very common? Not really, not since the mid 1800's. The strongest man does not always win, the fastest man does not always win, the best equipped man does not always win... its tactics that usually wins the day.

I think what most people likely need is training, knowledge and experience... not speed.

·
Registered
314 Posts
I've heard that you should try to aim for under 2 seconds to get a shot on target from a draw. However, who know what the situation might be. Try practicing some "bad breath drills", a.k.a. shooting an assailant from an arm's reach distance from the hip.

·
Registered
210 Posts
A friend has a guy with a rubber knife come at him and he has to try to get a plastic version out of the holster and pull on the fake trigger before he gets stabbed. If the person is close he drills moving backwards as fast (but as steady as he can) while drawing to make more room and time. It might be worth a shot

·
Premium Member
34,157 Posts
Just wondering what an acceptable time is to get a hit on target from concealment might be?

Brother and I were running some drills today and we both avg right around 2.05 to get a shot on target from the 4pm position.

I'm no so confident that this is an acceptable time in a self defense situation.

Thoughts?

It depends. How far away is the target? My best times for a hand-on-gun pocket draw to retention shot is high .3's.

·
Registered
289 Posts
Here's another "that depends" situation. Is the BG running at you with a knife? Does he have a gun aimed at you? Is he swinging a bat? Do you have cover nearby? There are a lot of variable at work for this. Speed is good sometimes. But strategy is the life saver. In my opinion.

·
Registered
712 Posts
I know I'm older and slower than you young bucks. That being said i'll do whatever it takes to gain an advantage in a self-defense situation . Let me simplify it for you I don't care What I have to do, P on myself or somebody else, fake a seizure, act like an idiot, rollover and play dead, anything to gain an advantage. I can only be as fast as I can be. I'm running out of replacement parts for my body. I'm not saying it's an ideal thing but I have to know my limitations and do what I can to overcome them

·
Registered
1,483 Posts
-
The importance of point shooting in the training regimen.

Reactions: vminghelli2

·
Registered
3,472 Posts
A fraction of a second faster than it takes your adversary to realize what's happening.

Reactions: ghost tracker

·
Registered
3,779 Posts
Hmmmm, drawing from a covered IWB position? With no notice given, except that in the next 4 hours you will be engaged.
Best time for me was .87 seconds. For an older guy, I'll take it.

·
Banned
10,182 Posts
hand to gun to draw to shooting .... gun is empty in 2.5 -3.5 seconds (3.5 - 3.6 on 14 shots, and didn't measure on a 17 rds capacity mag). So, if it takes you 2.0 seconds to shoot, I would have probably already shot you nearly 10 times. All shots on target and in a tight grouping. Just keep practicing, where thought doesn't even enter the process, and it becomes purely reaction.

I don't care what distance we are talking about.

I don't like and won't practice "1" shot, it develops a bad habit of stopping after the first round is shot. Praciticing how quickly you can do all following shots rapidly and keeping on target also needs to be learned and practiced.

Hope that helps.

Reactions: vminghelli2

·
Registered
4,672 Posts
Stats show the average person can cover 21 feet in 1.5 seconds. Guess you best not let them inside 28, and that is a tie. You lose ties.
Good point.
Video worth watching:

·
Registered
8 Posts
This is a good video. To think that the speed of draw and firing at the range will hold true in the real world if the worse case scenario happens is to think incorrectly. A surprise attack or attack after distraction will not allow you to draw as you would like. The repetitive nature of training will allow you to draw more quickly and safely once you have some space or a chance to get at your firearm even if still engaged with the individual. but sub 1 sub 2 sub 3 second times probably won't be relevant in the real world. I can crack off four rounds in under 2 seconds starting from a relaxed, casual stance (concealed at appendix). I'll take that, and realize i know hope to safely draw and obtain the target quickly. But if someone suddenly rushed me with a knife (or bat or gun), the first order of business is space - keep in mind it will take you time to realize what is happening. That is not like the range where you know what is coming and hat you are going to do, even if you use a random timer.

·
Registered
606 Posts
One reason I really like appendix carry is the speed. It's just as fast as open carry from the hip.

Age and health play a role in your speed. My personal goal is to eventually be under 1 second from concealment. With my age and physical ability I believe this is achievable and it's why I dry fire 4-5 times a week.

Right now I'm at about 1.5 seconds.

We also have to factor in the mental aspect of the draw. When do we make the decision. Having a sub second draw is great. But if it takes you 5 seconds to make the decision to draw your total time is 6 seconds.

·
Registered
1,440 Posts
I f your are drawing from concealment, I want my students to be able to go from command to first shot, again, drawing from a concealment garment, in less than 2.5 seconds. However, as someone else said, speed is not the primary goal. Remember, you cannot miss fast enough to make up for a hit.

·
Registered
44 Posts
Having someone walking by you and having no idea they have bad intentions is one of many situations I've thought about while it was happening. Not an actual incident but things you think about during activities in the day. The video really shows the need to know how to defend yourself if getting to your gun would take too long. I've always thought saving someone else would be more possible than myself because the perpetrator's attention is not on me. I'm not as safe as I was thinklng before seeing this video.

·
Registered
8,132 Posts
I dont plan on standing still if someone is running at me.

Reactions: Rainsong

·
Premium Member
4,459 Posts
A note on the Tueller drill. It was developed here in Utah and it involves 1) Recognizing the threat, 2) Determining how to respond, 3) Draw, 4) Aim, 5) And fire. Inside 21 feet you are in trouble.

In a fight I have no intention of playing fair. Fair is for playing games with others and business dealings. Fair in a potentially violent situation is for fools. When I see what I consider trouble I DISCREETLY put my hand on my gun, Skipping steps 1 and 2. If it looks really serious then my gun is out down by my leg turned so no one else can see it. Takes no time at all from there. If it comes to a quick draw contest then I probably won't be posting in here anymore.:dead:

Before my current medical regime I could draw from concealment and put 2 center mass in just under 2 seconds at 7 yards. Now? Sometime I'll post before and after 7 yard targets just for laughs.

1 - 20 of 30 Posts