Defensive Carry banner

61 - 80 of 80 Posts

·
Premium Member
7,382 Posts
Mistakes happen, learn from them. Some mistakes are bigger and less forgiving than others, and for those one needs to make sure they do not repeat.

Regarding calling the police, I don't see a reason for doing so. Nobody was injured. I see nothing positive that could have come from calling the police (nothing against the police).

Ask yourself if you were in a panicked state and you reacted by calling the police. Your reaction here could be an indicator of how you might react in an even more stressful situation - such as what you might say to the police after actually using your gun in self defense. Depending on the situation you can really get yourself into deep trouble. I'm not sure if that's what happened, but you should consider the possibility.

·
Premium Member
693 Posts
Athappyhiker, thanks for the reality check. I was unloading my 20 ga. shot gun as I was taking it from its secure hiding/easy access location to put in the safe. I don't keep a round chambered and easily removed the rest of the rounds before storing int in the gun safe. It was unloaded when I put it in a soft case when my finger accidentally touched the trigger, (it has a pistol handle with a fold over stock), and the trigger "clicked". The barrel of the shot gun was pointing over the toes on my foot. I would have lost them all if the shot gun was loaded! It was a sobering moment! I can only imagine the anxiety that you felt!

·
Registered
982 Posts
I too had a ND in the house.. I was going to practice with snap caps.. Had them in a mag.. For whatever reason, somehow, I grabbed a live round mag, instead of the snap caps.. Luckily when doing anything such as dry firing, practicing , cleaning, etc where I have to pull the trigger I ALWAYS point it in the safest direction.. this time i pointed it towards the wood pile near the wood stove.. BANG!! went the "snap cap".. My wife was with me in the living room in the opposite direction.. I could not believe what I had just done. I got on my knees face to the ground, and just stayed there for a while.. Don't recall if I was praying, but might have been.. My wife was screaming at me... I was about to just give up guns, carrying, everything.. Never in my life have I felt so fallible, so ignorant, so inept and so stupid... It took a while before I even wanted to be around guns... I trust myself less these days because of it, and I try to be scrupulously careful, above and beyond. However, I still to this day don't trust myself as I would like to.. I feel much more fallible, and less certain of my presence of mind than I would like.. I PRAY to God these days regularly about my gun handling.. that I , those I love, and those around me are always kept safe.

It was an AWFUL experience, one I pray I will never repeat... I feel the remorse of the OP/// bob

·
Super Moderator
16,196 Posts
I’ll fess up too although mine was a real accidental discharge, I had a Bersa in 22lr and after cleaning it before inserting I dropped a round in the chamber and thumbed the slide release and that had to be the loudest boom I have ever heard. Luckily it only put a hole in the side of the TV and the bullet was embedded in the wall next to the window. I did find the spent round and there was no firing pin mark, to this day I have never chambered a round and just dropped the slide instead I load the mag then let the slide strip the round off.

·
Registered
2,261 Posts
I got a divit in my basement wall in much the same way. I didn't call the police, but won't call you a communist because you did.

·
Registered
1,869 Posts
Thanks for the reminder on gun safety. I can imagine the deafening sound and the shock at first. I doubt if a lot of people have heard how loud the noise is when you discharge a gun in a confined space other than a shooting range. Glad that nobody was hurt. Lucky that the wood blocks were in that cabinet.

·
Registered
12 Posts
You had a brain fart. We all have them sooner or later. Appreciate you sharing, it never hurts for the rest of us to get a reminder, so thank you.
However....
I spent 35 years as a policeman. I never got a call in all that time for a ND. If I did, though, do you know what I would've done?
Laugh my ass off for getting called. Just like I'm laughing my ass off right now.
I don't know what possessed you to call the cops, but please stifle that urge should you have a similar accident in the future. The cops don't care, and the poor schlub that was stuck with showing up at your house most likely called his supervisor because "he" never got a call like that, either, and didn't know what to do!
OK, enough having fun at your expense. Glad everyone's OK, your bruised pride will heal, and you can always buy new furniture. Look at the good part - now you're prepared for how freakin' LOUD shooting at an intruder will be if you ever have to do so. Take care, thanks for sharing!

·
Registered
19 Posts
Exactly. and I have one of those idiot neighbors that we have a very rocky relationship and he's called police on me multiple times over the years for simply having a fire pit going, or supposedly being too loud with friends in the back yard.
See, this is what scares me about the Guilty until proven guilty” red flag laws. Some one reporting you because of an accident or they dont like you”

·
Registered
82 Posts
When I'm unloading a semi auto in my house I use one of these clearing boxes that has ceramic bricks and bullet proof material inside of them just in case. A guy I know got them along with a pile of other stuff at a government auction one time and he gave them to me since he had no use for them. Luckily they've never had a shot fired in them. Anytime I'm going to pull the trigger dry firing or whatever on a gun in my house I stick the barrel in one, just in case.

·
Registered
223 Posts
There are 3 types of firearms owners. There are the ones that have negligent discharges and admit it. There are ones that have them and don't admit it. And there are the ones that haven't had a negligent discharge yet!. ( I did not read all the posts so if someone beat me to it, sorry for the dupe.)

·
Registered
16 Posts
I too made a mistake just a couple years ago.Every year after muzzleloader season is over I've always fired off my gun (old style) emptying it. Well apperantly this one year I didn't . So the next year I ran a few patches down it cleaning it. Stepped outside and fired a cap through it. To my embarrassment it fired! I was in disbelief at first! But after it was all said and done I patted myself on the back bc I followed the first and most important rule of gun safety.ALWAYS KEEP IT POINTED IN A SAFE DIRECTION. The round went into the ground. Thank goodness!

·
Banned
210 Posts
MY best friend, while I was living in Wyoming" put a 240gr. 44 Magnum HP through his roof after cleaning his S&W 6" and upon final wipe down with a rag he snagged the hammer he said and it came loose from the cloth and it fired. I'm just relating the story he told; not that I totally believed him. :image035:

·
Registered
1,106 Posts
I had a close call when showing a friend that was new to guns. I dropped mag and cleared chamber to show her a little bit about a semi auto 9. Then the topic of tap rack bang came up. I inserted mag partially and did the tap.....rack......and....thank goodness my muscle memory wasnt fool proof and caught myself.

·
Registered
119 Posts
Discussion Starter #78
I too had a ND in the house.. I was going to practice with snap caps.. Had them in a mag.. For whatever reason, somehow, I grabbed a live round mag, instead of the snap caps.. Luckily when doing anything such as dry firing, practicing , cleaning, etc where I have to pull the trigger I ALWAYS point it in the safest direction.. this time i pointed it towards the wood pile near the wood stove.. BANG!! went the "snap cap".. My wife was with me in the living room in the opposite direction.. I could not believe what I had just done. I got on my knees face to the ground, and just stayed there for a while.. Don't recall if I was praying, but might have been.. My wife was screaming at me... I was about to just give up guns, carrying, everything.. Never in my life have I felt so fallible, so ignorant, so inept and so stupid... It took a while before I even wanted to be around guns... I trust myself less these days because of it, and I try to be scrupulously careful, above and beyond. However, I still to this day don't trust myself as I would like to.. I feel much more fallible, and less certain of my presence of mind than I would like.. I PRAY to God these days regularly about my gun handling.. that I , those I love, and those around me are always kept safe.

It was an AWFUL experience, one I pray I will never repeat... I feel the remorse of the OP/// bob
Thanks BeeBee - that's pretty much how I felt when this happened. Totally shook my confidence up to the point where I didn't carry for a day or two. The whole "what could have happened" thoughts are terrifying... but the most searing reminder about why the most basic firearm safety rules can never be loosened up even for a moment. If I'd had a sand bucket then and pointed it towards that, even with a ND at least it would have been very very low risk of any damage/injury.

·
Registered
119 Posts
Discussion Starter #79
Thanks for the reminder on gun safety. I can imagine the deafening sound and the shock at first. I doubt if a lot of people have heard how loud the noise is when you discharge a gun in a confined space other than a shooting range. Glad that nobody was hurt. Lucky that the wood blocks were in that cabinet.
Yeah, it had been a long time since i'd heard a handgun caliber (9mm) go off inside without earpro on. It is SO much louder than a rifle or shotgun shot outside hunting, and when you're not expecting it... heart attack time. What was odd was that my daughter who was two floors above me at the time said that she didn't even hear it... but she's a teen so for all I knew she had ear buds in blaring music...

·
Registered
822 Posts
That is why we have to try to follow all of the safety rules! Even if one gets overlooked nobody will get hurt. Only ones nerves.

Glad nobody got hurt.

61 - 80 of 80 Posts