Defensive Carry banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have 2 XD9's SC & 4" and a Sig Mosquito.Recently (2mos.) purchased a new Sig 229 SAS 40cal. for my consealed carry. I have put over 1000 rounds through both pistols and I am able to keep all rounds from the XD9's within 4" or less, using Win. 115gr. target ammo. But with the Sig (also using Win. 165gr. target ammo) my rounds are scattered, low and to the left (approx 4 - 6" from my aiming point). I am still getting used to the Sig DAK trigger sytem, and I have tried to alter my grip and reset the rear sight (which moved the rounds under my sight point). With Sig's reputation for accuracy right out of the box, I am a little disappointed in my results. In some of the threads I remember reading about accuracy improvements with match grade barrels like Barsto. I have not had anyone else fire it yet, but that's next! I am considering giving it to a gunsmith to check it out, but I still think it's something I am doing wrong. Any suggestions?

·
Registered
686 Posts
Sailor,

I'm a little more off the ball with my HK .40S&W then I am with my friends Sig 226 9mm. I personallly dislike the .40 recoil, and I've put well over 1000 rounds through my pistol since I got it in August. I've shot maybe 200 rounds from the 9mm.

Not sure how experienced you are as a shooter, but to a lot of people, the .40S&W has some of the harshest recoil of any pistol.

just my observations and 0.02 :)

--Jim

·
Registered
211 Posts
My Sig 229 SAS has been spot on very accurate. I would do some dry firing practice, after checking to make sure unloaded of course, to see if the longer trigger pull is causing you to pull gun. Just practice the fundamentals of first pad on trigger finger, focus on front site, press the trigger, and don't anticipate. As Firefighter said the .40 has a bit more recoil than the 9mm so you may be flinching without realizing it. If you are doing all that and still not grouping well, and others are experiencing the same issue, then maybe having someone look at it, Sig?, wouldn't be a bad idea.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Sailor,

On think your right on target, excuse the pun, in looking at your setup. Rocnerd brings up a very good point about dry firing. Any flaws will show up immediately. Good luck.

·
Super Moderator
25,533 Posts
Sailor, Assuming that you are right handed, low and left is usually a sign of trigger jerk. You may want to review the way you are squeezing off with the new SIG, the pull difference in trigger pull may be messing you up. :confused:

·
Premium Member
25,483 Posts
I'll bet this is still shooter related - and not meaning that as any slur!!

Yes, dry-fire and also plenty more live fire. Could even be that a judicious placement of some grip tape or even different grips -would help you index the hold more easily, and enough to better handle that trigger.

I very much doubt the gun is to blame tho nothing is impossible of course - add to this as has been mentioned, the .40 is not the easiest round to shoot for many folks.

·
Registered
6,011 Posts
A Matter of Perception

firefighter4884 said:
Sailor,

I'm a little more off the ball with my HK .40S&W then I am with my friends Sig 226 9mm. I personallly dislike the .40 recoil, and I've put well over 1000 rounds through my pistol since I got it in August. I've shot maybe 200 rounds from the 9mm.

Not sure how experienced you are as a shooter, but to a lot of people, the .40S&W has some of the harshest recoil of any pistol.

just my observations and 0.02 :)

--Jim
You know, I got rid of my Glock M23 for just that reason. But then I got a Glock M27. I love my 27. But I only "notice" the recoil when I'm shooting static targets in a range environment. But if I'm running in an IDPA match I don't notice the recoil at all! I've had my Glock M27 for a long time now. I wouldn't trade it for anything. I also like it because if I want to easily conceal it, I put the std 9rd mag in it. But I keep several M22 & M23 mags with those little plastic "spacers" installed and it provides me with a seamless full length grip. And full capacity. Awesome.

But I dearly love those Sig P229 SAS models. Now, IF I could only justify the cost to our family CFO.....:twak: :nono: :spankme:

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I purchased an inexpensive ($30) but adjustable, hand gun rest last night, to try and take the "human factor" out of the equasion so I can see what is happening. It will also give me a better idea of the effects of different ammo. I also priced a Lasermax as a training tool --this is a lot cheaper! I plan on testing tomorrow.

·
Registered
1,862 Posts
I got my instructor to fire my pistol, it showed me that it was clearly me that was causing the problem, changed my grip and did lot's of dry fires. Now I just need to work on my habit of "canting" the pistol upwards a bit when doing a quick draw from the holster.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
I put a total of 50 rounds through the P229 SAS this weekend using the new gun rest -- Its is me NOT the P229. All 50 rounds were no more than 2.0" apart! I guess I will practice dry fire more often, I am still considering getting a Lasermax as a training tool to weed out my problem.

·
Registered
6,868 Posts
Well, that's good news Sailor....the Sig .40's are accurate guns; my duty P229 with a traditional DA trigger pull is very accurate and equally controllable. I wish my agency transitions to P229R DAKs...but they won't since our guns are only about three years old.

·
Banned
318 Posts
Sailor87 said:
I put a total of 50 rounds through the P229 SAS this weekend using the new gun rest -- Its is me NOT the P229. All 50 rounds were no more than 2.0" apart! I guess I will practice dry fire more often, I am still considering getting a Lasermax as a training tool to weed out my problem.
Hmmm sounds like an ergonomics issue maybe.

For example I have big hands but the following happened to me.: I've owned many Glocks with the 9mm/40 frame with no real problems with gripping the pistol.
I had a chance on a good deal on a 20C Glock 10mm and jumped on it as this one seemed ideal for my wants in a "10". Well that thing shot like a dream when benched but shot waaay low when fired offhand.
Plus I've owned a DE .44mag pistol and didn't have that issue at all and that had a bigger but different shaped grip than the 20C.

Sometimes thigs can be funny that way.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts