Defensive Carry banner

1 - 20 of 34 Posts

·
Premium Member
4,740 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I found this on Coulson, Jackson and Associates Blog.

Danny O. Coulson served in the Federal Bureau of Investigation for thirty one years. He created and commanded the FBI’s Hostage Rescue Team.

"You find yourself in the middle of an active shooter situation. You are armed. What action do you take?"

We've discussed these types of situations countless times and, most recently, in a thread on an armed robbery in a Red Lobster restaurant (http://www.defensivecarry.com/forum...ster-robbery-multiple-suspects-any-ideas.html).

As an expert on active shooter situations, Coulson offers excellent advice and tips on how to survive these terrifying encounters. His final, and most important point is: "...THERE ARE NO RAID JACKETS THAT SAY GOOD GUY!!!!!! Do not take action that would cause you to be viewed as the active shooter yourself. Your life depends on it."

·
Registered
11,153 Posts
I am going to stand by my post in the Red lobster robbery thread. To be honest, I would rather die doing something good, than live without having taken any action at all. The article was good, thank you for sharing...

·
Premium Member
34,330 Posts
I am going to stand by my post in the Red lobster robbery thread. To be honest, I would rather die doing something good, than live without having taken any action at all. The article was good, thank you for sharing...
Likewise. Nothing is not my strong suit.

·
Registered
199 Posts
while I agree you shouldn't try to play hero and you need to be aware of what can happen if you decide to get involved. It seems to me that his advice is simular to everything else we have heard from the goverment. Hide, wait for the cops. Correct me if I'm wrong but one of the big arguments for CC is to be able to protect yourself in these situations. I'm sure most of us have said "if only the principle in the school in newtown would have been carrying" I don't know if he intended it this way or not but it seems like he's saying "your not going to do any good, just act like an unarmed victim and don't intervien" well then why carry?

Sent from my SCH-I405 using Tapatalk 2

·
Premium Member
4,740 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I agree with you 100%. I will defend myself and my family at all costs. His advice helps us understand the dynamics of the situation and provides concrete ways to survive and be victorious.

·
Premium Member
4,740 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
while I agree you shouldn't try to play hero and you need to be aware of what can happen if you decide to get involved. It seems to me that his advice is simular to everything else we have heard from the goverment. Hide, wait for the cops. Correct me if I'm wrong but one of the big arguments for CC is to be able to protect yourself in these situations. I'm sure most of us have said "if only the principle in the school in newtown would have been carrying" I don't know if he intended it this way or not but it seems like he's saying "your not going to do any good, just act like an unarmed victim and don't intervien" well then why carry?
He writes: "Do you do nothing? Absolutely not! Take action, but make sure it is the proper action to save your life." He then provides excellent advice for various possibilities - escape, hide, engage.

·
Registered
669 Posts
Ive asked this question to myself many times, and the answer remains...."If not for me, then who else?"

Reactions: docdozer

·
Registered
2,021 Posts
No matter how much you role play situations in your mind, train and practice when the ball falls and you find yourself in the middle of chaos it will be like nothing you have planned. Know matter how good you are you need to be able to think and act on your feet.

The longer the situation last the better the chance of you still being active when the LEO arrive. So get it done and be non-suspicious when they arrive, no gun in hand or still shooting people to the ground.

If you find yourself in a Mumbai type of attack just know you are not only fighting those in front of you back having to watch for the GGs coming in on your back. Also remember you are not a cop and have no responsibility to protect everyone. There are time you have to let others take care of themselves. If they don't then it's on them not you.

Be brave but think smart!

Reactions: MDR90 and USM1976

·
Registered
9,955 Posts
Run hide escape while innocents are being slaughtered knowing full well the all powerful Raid is going to be way late to do anything isnt something I think i could live with personally. But everyone has to make their own decisions on that sort of thing.

·
Registered
1,406 Posts
I haven't eaten at one since I got food poisoning in the late 80s!

Good advise and that what I've been taught since I began using a firearm a long time ago! Phoenix is a perfect example, the home owner was holding the BG at gun point, but ended up dead as the LEOs thought he was the BG!

·
Registered
205 Posts
If it is a robbery and the BGs just make off with money, then I'm most likely going to stand down. I'll keep my pistol in hand, but won't offer any kind of threat so long as the robbers only go for money. If they start shooting, or even threaten to shoot people, then I'm going to have to step in. Hopefully, the appearance of someone else with a weapon will cause the BGs to cut and run (it usually does). Don't want the situation to escalate if at all possible, but lives are worth a lot more then money. With all of the druggies running loose these days you never know just how rational the crooks, are or how they might react when confronted. Nevertheless, I would do whatever I could to keep some innocent (or myself) from catching a bullet.

·
Registered
69 Posts
i would have to agree with everyone else do nothing wouldn't sit well with me after the fact. I think every situation unfolds so differently that it has to be a judgement call during the situation. taking into account the possibility that LEO will show up and mistake you for a BG

·
Registered
1,549 Posts
When I am tempted to think in terms of heroic action I try to remember this. Every man and woman of good character in my state has the option of securing training and a carry permit just as I did or they can rely on the aforementioned state to provide for their security. Risking your life for people who are unwilling to accept responsibility for their own fate is a fools errand.

This does not mean that I won't intervene to help others. The infirm, elderly, and children are worth defending. The others? Not so much.

Jim

·
Registered
75 Posts
When I am tempted to think in terms of heroic action I try to remember this. Every man and woman of good character in my state has the option of securing training and a carry permit just as I did or they can rely on the aforementioned state to provide for their security. Risking your life for people who are unwilling to accept responsibility for their own fate is a fools errand.

This does not mean that I won't intervene to help others. The infirm, elderly, and children are worth defending. The others? Not so much.

Jim
what about new chl apps? what if you encountered this scenario and then learned after you eliminated the threat another gg comes by you and thanks you and he had been waiting on his CHL for 6 weeks.

you going to tell him he shouldn't have came to the mall until he got it? lol

I would take action, I can't stand by and do nothing....I am one to help people. IMO

·
Premium Member
2,249 Posts
In Mr. Coulson's scenario, if he perceived the threat when he parked at the store why did he not just leave immediately? By his account he was already anticipating trouble. Seems he allowed the situation to develop and place himself and his wife in jeopardy. I have no formal training at all, and I would have driven away at once. Just my thoughts.

Reactions: BenGoodLuck

·
Registered
7,974 Posts
I could not stand idly by and do nothing. JMO

Reactions: Harryball and TrevX

·
Premium Member
3,224 Posts
Well the robbery at Red Lobster and an active shooter in a mall or wherever are two different types of situations.

First I am doing some checking but I believe all four men at Red Lobster were armed not just one, but I digress.

In an active shooter situation the suspects intent has been made clear from the first shot. He is not there to rob anyone he is there to kill, plain and simple. With family members present their safety is my first priority and everything else is secondary.

I agree with his tactics and statements especially the one about you will be outgunned. A 15 year old with a .22 rifle has the average gun toter outgunned in terms of range of the weapon and possibly mag capacity. As has been discussed before you have a couple of options. At the sound of gunfire you can look for an avenue of escape, take cover and stand your ground, engage at whatever distance the threat is encountered which if at longer ranges the fire may be ineffective on your part or you close the distance to within your effective range whatever that is.

There will always be the chance that you are mistaken for the shooter by LE or another gun toter and vis versa. If all you hear are shots and then see a man running with a gun in the heat of the moment you may engage the wrong person, CCW badges or sashes being the exception of course. There is no one right answer as the individual's training, weapon and determination would all be different.

Yep everyone has the choice whether or not to carry and protect themselves however it is their choice. Not everyone likes firearms for whatever reason and their is nothing wrong with that, individual choice is what makes our country what it is. The minute the suspect chooses to take a life whether it be a child, grandmother or a homeless guy caught in the wrong place at the wrong time you would have to make the choice to engage or not. It all comes back to you as an individual, your training, mindset and the weapon you are carrying at the time.

While the J frame or pocket .380 many carry would normally be fine in terms of your own personal protection at closer ranges the distances encountered at a mall would force you to close the distance to the shooter to within your effective range so again the question remains how many would run to the sound of gunfire?

Having a permit and carrying a firearm does not make you the superhero or savior of the day. Remember the active shooter incident where the gunman started firing in the parking lot with a rifle and the business owner across the street who was armed was chastised by the gun community for not engaging the suspect at long range? As many have stated on here they carry a firearm for their self protection not everyone else's and that is their choice nothing wrong with it. Many others have stated they would engage but the simple fact is do the have the training to do it?

Like others I would have a hard time standing by and doing nothing but I could not in good conscience run off and leave my family defenseless either.

1 - 20 of 34 Posts