1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
1,296 Posts

·
Registered
Various
15,475 Posts
I was stationed there for awhile back in the mid-1970s. I am sure it has changed a lot since then.

·
Registered
8,009 Posts
They keep using strange rhetoric on this. Officials say that one person was injured, the guard. So does that mean the attacker was not injured? They say the attacker was "neutralized" and "no longer a threat," but not "killed." Neutralized can mean anything from tackled to blown away. I have not seen this much weasel-wording in cases like this.

·
Registered
1,327 Posts

·
Premium Member
3,866 Posts

·
Premium Member
3,875 Posts
They keep using strange rhetoric on this. Officials say that one person was injured, the guard. So does that mean the attacker was not injured? They say the attacker was "neutralized" and "no longer a threat," but not "killed." Neutralized can mean anything from tackled to blown away. I have not seen this much weasel-wording in cases like this.
Either they didn't know anything or it was the usual media twisting themselves into pretzel shapes to avoid having to report, "Arab male".

Here's the updated headline and link from the USNI news site"

UPDATED: FBI Now Investigating NAS Corpus Christi Shooting, ‘Arab Male’ Killed by Navy Security Forces

https://news.usni.org/2020/05/21/shooting-at-nas-corpus-christi-security-force-member-injured-shooter-neutralized
That's what I figured. At least the Navy isn't afraid of offending their readership with the facts.

·
Registered
7,830 Posts
So does NAS Corpus Christi have armed security personnel?
You keep hearing how local LEO's have to be called in.
Or are there just armed guards at the gates.
I havent been to this base, but of all the bases I have been on, I have never seen one where they were not armed at the gate.

·
Registered
1,296 Posts
Here's the updated headline and link from the USNI news site"

UPDATED: FBI Now Investigating NAS Corpus Christi Shooting, ‘Arab Male’ Killed by Navy Security Forces

https://news.usni.org/2020/05/21/shooting-at-nas-corpus-christi-security-force-member-injured-shooter-neutralized

In other words, this is not, um, workplace violins.

Favorable outcome, save for the injury to the sailor.
Could it be workplace cellos? Or, have we moved from the string instruments into the brass or maybe woodwinds?

For the NSF, this was most definitely workplace violence, at least by OSHA standards. It may also be a terrorist incident. It may just be a looney, like the one who shot up Westgate Mall in Glendale, yesterday, who wanted notoriety. The 'Arab Male' may be a former employee. Don't know yet.

·
Registered
1,486 Posts
“The station had a similar lockdown last December. In that incident, a man pleaded guilty to destruction of U.S. government property and possession of a stolen firearm for ramming his truck into a barricade.”

The previous incident was around the same time Pensacola had a shooting, which has since been determined terrorist related, and a Little Creek Naval base in Virginia had a car ram through the gate.

I remember talking to someone about how all of it seemed too coincidental and got called a fear mongering conspiracy theorist.

·
Registered
1,296 Posts
Unless you can find out how they are connected, it is coincidental like mall or school shootings. You get a lot of copycats.

·
Registered
8,009 Posts
Unless you can find out how they are connected, it is coincidental like mall or school shootings. You get a lot of copycats.
I think it may go a bit beyond copycatting. There is a theory now of "stochastic terrorism" or "lone wolf" attacks. Stochastic terrorism implies a randomly determined process, that a central source motivates something to happen without specifically directing it. This has been an ISIS tactic for a while. Through social and other media they provide easily influenced people a rationale, a generic target and a generic method. Like, "Fight the seagoing infidels who are blockading our brothers in Iran, get a gun, go to a Navy base and kill as many as you can."

So there may well be a connection that is not apparent, an indirect connection. I would expect that there are others who are planning things at Navy bases right now, but not so much as copycats, but as centrally motivated lone wolves.

·
Premium Member
950 Posts
Reactions: Jeanlouise

·
Registered
1,296 Posts
I think it may go a bit beyond copycatting. There is a theory now of "stochastic terrorism" or "lone wolf" attacks. Stochastic terrorism implies a randomly determined process, that a central source motivates something to happen without specifically directing it. This has been an ISIS tactic for a while. Through social and other media they provide easily influenced people a rationale, a generic target and a generic method. Like, "Fight the seagoing infidels who are blockading our brothers in Iran, get a gun, go to a Navy base and kill as many as you can."

So there may well be a connection that is not apparent, an indirect connection. I would expect that there are others who are planning things at Navy bases right now, but not so much as copycats, but as centrally motivated lone wolves.
Yes, there may be a connection that isn't apparent, but until you establish that there is a connection, you got nothing but a theory with a fancy name and catchy nickname. Of course, this doesn't really appear to be a lone wolf attack given that the feds are looking for another suspect.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts