Defensive Carry banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I hope I posted this in the right section, but I just want to share a story that JUST happened today.

I work at a university (Which I will leave un-named. Yes, it's restrictive and yes I should probably consider a job change, yeah, I know) and had gone out to lunch off-campus with my colleagues around 12:30. We return to our offices an hour later and receive an email from the campus police dept that says the following:

Around 12:15 p.m. today, Police dispatchers received a call about a potential active shooter on the campus. Police responded immediately and determined the threat was a false alarm. There were no injuries.

Police are investigating the source of the call. The University thanks City Police for their swift response. At this time, no further information is available.
What infuriates me about this is the fact that not even a warning was issued. We are all signed up to the on-campus alert system where we are SUPPOSED to receive both email and text alerts about emergencies etc. Yet we received nothing, no warning, no alert. Just an email saying, “blah, blah, blah...yeah...that active shooter we didn’t warn you about was a false alarm. Carry on." My other colleague, who is a self-defense and situationally aware dude as well, was getting lunch in the exact area police were called to and he said he just saw a bunch of uniforms and noticed that nobody really even knew what they were doing.

To play devils-advocate I'm sure no alarms were raised to preserve order and create as little disruption as possible, but to me this is a PRIME example of why you need to be responsible for your own safety. Sure police responded swiftly, but while they were determining whether or not this was a REAL situation, people could've been getting hurt or killed. What if this non-event WAS an event. Lives would/could have been lost. I wish I could carry on campus for my own protection and those that I care for, but until I can find a job with better benefits/policies, I am stuck. So unfortunately it is not an option for me.

With all of that said thanks for reading and stay ready and vigilant.

·
Registered
8,132 Posts
Its a double edged sword. Everyone would be equally pissed off when national news is covering a story about someone slamming a door, and the liberals are hashtagging about how they shouldnt have to live in that kind of fear.

Reactions: RickyD

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Its a double edged sword. Everyone would be equally pissed off when national news is covering a story about someone slamming a door, and the liberals are hashtagging about how they shouldnt have to live in that kind of fear.
Good point. To add to that, they encourage everyone here on campus to call if you see something out of the ordinary. No matter how small. So I guess in my mind terrorists have already succeeded when an umbrella, a slammed door and whatever caused today's false-alarm incite fear and a call to police for action.

·
Registered
1,659 Posts
Just be glad it was a false alarm...and move on. Lessons were probably learned by all involved.

·
Registered
8,132 Posts
Good point. To add to that, they encourage everyone here on campus to call if you see something out of the ordinary. No matter how small. So I guess in my mind terrorists have already succeeded when an umbrella, a slammed door and whatever caused today's false-alarm incite fear and a call to police for action.
Agreed, sad world we live in.I wish you guys were allowed to carry there.

·
Premium Member
3,841 Posts
I don't know where you work, but if you are at a US university you work with people who need a safe place because words and ideas hurt them... Think about that for just a moment. The trauma of an actual alert might cause PTSD in half the staff and students.

·
Super Moderator
16,861 Posts
My line of thinking is they did not want to send a warning until they determined if it was a credible threat or not. Once it was determined there was no threat they just sent an advisory as to why there were so many LEOs in a certain area of campus.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Agreed, sad world we live in.I wish you guys were allowed to carry there.
Sad world indeed. I wish I could carry too, thats what the police are for right? /sarc

I don't know where you work, but if you are at a US university you work with people who need a safe place because words and ideas hurt them... Think about that for just a moment. The trauma of an actual alert might cause PTSD in half the staff and students.
You are very right. I was silly to think that concern for the logical defense and protection of innocent American lives would be remedied by a mass text. The complete destruction of the college would have been realized if it went through. (I'm not even being sarcastic) I am at a U.S. university and...It. Is. Ridiculous. The people here are amazingly friendly, I love working with them, BUT a majority are also so EASILY offended and GROSSLY naive and are definite hoplophobes. I once sat in the break room with several colleagues and one of them was telling us how she was frantically calling her daughter, pleading for her to leave Liberty University (not the university I work at unfortunately) because their president recommended the students take their own self defense seriously and should conceal carry during these trying times. I also work with another individual who thinks that our country's violence problem would be solved once the Second Amendment is repealed. I have one good friend there who is a libertarian and we feel like we have to have closed door discussions about firearms and our disdain for safe zones and political correctness. The irony. Other than that, I love my job believe it or not, I just wish I could carry.

·
Premium Member
3,841 Posts
Sad world indeed. I wish I could carry too, thats what the police are for right? /sarc

You are very right. I was silly to think that concern for the logical defense and protection of innocent American lives would be remedied by a mass text. The complete destruction of the college would have been realized if it went through. (I'm not even being sarcastic) I am at a U.S. university and...It. Is. Ridiculous. The people here are amazingly friendly, I love working with them, BUT a majority are also so EASILY offended and GROSSLY naive and are definite hoplophobes. I once sat in the break room with several colleagues and one of them was telling us how she was frantically calling her daughter, pleading for her to leave Liberty University (not the university I work at unfortunately) because their president recommended the students take their own self defense seriously and should conceal carry during these trying times. I also work with another individual who thinks that our country's violence problem would be solved once the Second Amendment is repealed. I have one good friend there who is a libertarian and we feel like we have to have closed door discussions about firearms and our disdain for safe zones and political correctness. The irony. Other than that, I love my job believe it or not, I just wish I could carry.
If it's any consolation, I did my undergraduate work at Case Western, the same school where students and teachers had to have the week off because they were so traumatized by having law enforcement housed on campus during the convention. Pathetic does not begin to express my feelings on the topic. I plan to share that with the next person to call me asking for money.

·
Registered
10,072 Posts
Last week we had a telephone threat. The guy, who left his full name, spelled it, number, and address ON A RECORDED LINE that he was informed was recorded said "I'll make the shooting in Dallas look like Disneyland." He said it twice!!! I personally heard the recording. And the guy was local, not like across the country or anything. We called the police and they said there was nothing they could do. Phone threats aren't considered imminent in Florida. Add on he had a legit reason to be on site the next day.

After several conversations with the Police, they did finally go talk with him and he admitted he did it. They gave him a hard time and issued a no trespass order on him. Could you imagine being the Chief of Police and having to explain on national television how a person called in a threat and you couldn't do anything? That's crazy.

I'm still looking over my shoulder every day...that's messed up just to say something like that.

·
Banned
3,343 Posts
Back in the day we'd just find a fat girl and hide behind her. (I kid I kid).

Actually, we never had any on campus threats because back then people weren't animals like now. :(

·
Registered
1,397 Posts
How do you recognize a potential active shooter? I pasted English in high school but these new wordings get me confused. I guess I need to go to a university.

·
Registered
2,990 Posts
How do you recognize a potential active shooter? I pasted English in high school but these new wordings get me confused. I guess I need to go to a university.
Do you own a AR-1r Assault Rifle with lots of high capacity clips? Do you own a Glock and hundreds of boolits? Then you're a potential active shooter.

Even if your long gun is a Sig MCx or Mini-14 with tactical stock, it's an Assault Rifle. If your handgun is an M&P or XD or Sig it's still an assault Glock. You're a potential active shooter.

If you have a pop-tart chewed in the shape of Glock, you're a potential active shooter.

·
Registered
4,189 Posts
So you wanted them to send you an alert, warning you of a danger when they had not yet verified its credibility? If some yahoo calls in a bogus threat, you want them to alert you and the whole campus?

·
Registered
3 Posts
I am a heat and A/C technician work in some pretty bad Neighborhoods in Chattanooga. Was on job last summer when I heard 6 gunshots behind me. Stood up looked around didn't see anything went back to work. Few minutes later police officer hollered did you hear where shots came from.Needless to say someone drove by and shot out windows in apartments behind alley where I was working. After that scenario and the 5 servicemen that got gunned down in my Hometown I got my carry permit. I'm fortunate my company allows me to carry on Job. Noogastrong!!!!

·
Registered
712 Posts
I hope I posted this in the right section, but I just want to share a story that JUST happened today.

I work at a university (Which I will leave un-named. Yes, it's restrictive and yes I should probably consider a job change, yeah, I know) and had gone out to lunch off-campus with my colleagues around 12:30. We return to our offices an hour later and receive an email from the campus police dept that says the following:

What infuriates me about this is the fact that not even a warning was issued. We are all signed up to the on-campus alert system where we are SUPPOSED to receive both email and text alerts about emergencies etc. Yet we received nothing, no warning, no alert. Just an email saying, “blah, blah, blah...yeah...that active shooter we didn’t warn you about was a false alarm. Carry on." My other colleague, who is a self-defense and situationally aware dude as well, was getting lunch in the exact area police were called to and he said he just saw a bunch of uniforms and noticed that nobody really even knew what they were doing.

To play devils-advocate I'm sure no alarms were raised to preserve order and create as little disruption as possible, but to me this is a PRIME example of why you need to be responsible for your own safety. Sure police responded swiftly, but while they were determining whether or not this was a REAL situation, people could've been getting hurt or killed. What if this non-event WAS an event. Lives would/could have been lost. I wish I could carry on campus for my own protection and those that I care for, but until I can find a job with better benefits/policies, I am stuck. So unfortunately it is not an option for me.

With all of that said thanks for reading and stay ready and vigilant.
Just be glad it was a false alarm. No system is going to be perfect .

·
Registered
712 Posts
I would like to add that if you had any idea how many false alarms threats etc. that we never hear about you would never leave a lock bomb shelter. I know even one is unacceptable but let's face it. They'll never be away in an open society to stop every not bad guy terrorist in general SB. All we can do is protect ourselves and people loved ones safe as possible. It may sound cold but let's face it . Everyone to dies because of the act of some bad guy is someone's wife, husband, son, daughter, father, or mother. All we can do is try our best to make sure it doesn't become one of ours.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
So you wanted them to send you an alert, warning you of a danger when they had not yet verified its credibility? If some yahoo calls in a bogus threat, you want them to alert you and the whole campus?
I'll go with yes. To your point though, I get that if someone cried wolf at every potential sighting we would never be able to function as a society. I don't believe it was a phone call, though I have no evidence to the contrary. All I know is there were a large amount of uniformed/plain clothes officers around the entrance to the Student Center and some very nervous looking individuals (possibly the suspects) surrounded by them and thats it, other than what was provided in the email I pasted in my original post. My point is, IF it were a credible threat, how many passersby would've been affected? People could've been hurt all while the police (who more often than not can't be exactly where you need them when you need them) are even able to figure out who or what is going on. So with that said, I believe a warning of "Shelter in place" would've been sufficient and then an "All clear" issued when the guy pointing his fingers in the shape of a pistol was softly scolded and asked to refrain from frightening the students on campus. No need to say "Active Shooter" until the threats of real boolits and glockazines were actually determined. This would've eliminated or significantly reduced the potential amount of victims. I mean while this was all going on I, along with half of the campus, was wandering off to lunch around that general area. Confusion and crossfire are the last things I want to be caught up in thats what good SA is for, but if the ability is there to prevent, why not do it? This of course is just me after-action-monday-morning-arm-chair-quarterbacking. As stated earlier in this thread, lessons learned all around. Perhaps not saying anything at all would've been a better course of action? I don't know, I am just glad I do not have to make those judgement calls, I would probably do a terrible job.

·
Registered
4,189 Posts
Risk assessment can often times boil down to a specific type of decision matrix... does this exits- yes/ no.. does that exist- yes/no.. was this specified? yes/no yadda yadda yadda.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts