Defensive Carry banner

1 - 20 of 286 Posts

·
Registered
2,790 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
More jumping on the bandwagon. Meijers is a large chain around here

"The safety of our customers and team members is our top priority, so we respectfully request that our customers do not open carry firearms at Meijer. We've made this decision because open carry can create an environment that makes our customers and team members feel unsafe. — Meijer (@meijer) September 9, 2019"

"At ALDI, the safety of our employees, customers and the community is our highest priority. Alongside many other businesses, we are asking that our customers refrain from openly displaying firearms in any of our stores, except for authorized law enforcement personnel. — ALDI USA (@AldiUSA) September 9, 2019"

https://www.clickondetroit.com/news/meijer-and-aldi-ask-customers-to-not-openly-carry-guns-in-stores

·
Registered
1,917 Posts
What's with all the grocery stores suddenly turning anti?

If I owned a grocery store chain I'd come out and say open carry is welcome (where legal) and watch business increase.
That would never happen. There are far more people who don’t support open carry than those who would shop somewhere just because they allow it. The “cancel culture” doesn’t go both ways.

·
Registered
161 Posts
More jumping on the bandwagon. Meijers is a large chain around here

"The safety of our customers and team members is our top priority, so we respectfully request that our customers do not open carry firearms at Meijer. We've made this decision because open carry can create an environment that makes our customers and team members feel unsafe. — Meijer (@meijer) September 9, 2019"

[/url]

Feeling unsafe is different from being unsafe. Your new move takes people from being safe, but feeling unsafe, to being unsafe, but feeling safe. MORONS
I want to move to a deserted island, I can't take all these morons anymore

·
Registered
1,191 Posts
The real question is what percent of us CC’ers are going to show our disapproval by taking business elsewhere?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
18,298 Posts
As I have said before, many here get locked in to the idea that we are a majority with a mutual understanding of all things firearms, and come to expect others to think in this way. We are not.

This has been the folly of those who believe that OC will “ educate” the public and normalize it in society by their antics and recordings in public places.

Now, the kick back is here, with the recent mass shootings to provide support for these new policies, which is probably supported by the vast majority of their customer base.

Heres your sign; if at any given time, you don’t see about 50%, or say 35% of every single person you see open carrying on a daily basis, then it’s probably not a socially accepted practice, regardless of what you want to think or project.

Options are these; get loud and proud like the LBGTQ whatever groups and get real public on a national level, or accept the fact that business do have a right to regulate activity on their premises, and continue on the political path to make changes in these policies.

We as a gun community have not been able to self regulate. Everybody wants to be right, and do how they wanna do, regardless of how it effects the group as a whole.

Now, since this division has weakened our ability to present a united front, the regulation is being done for us.

·
Premium Member
33,734 Posts
What's with all the grocery stores suddenly turning anti?

If I owned a grocery store chain I'd come out and say open carry is welcome (where legal) and watch business increase.
I'm no fan of Open Carry, and don't allow it in my home. Does that make me an anti?

·
Premium Member
33,734 Posts
The real question is what percent of us CC’ers are going to show our disapproval by taking business elsewhere?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
When I take my business elsewhere, it won't be on the basis of whether or not the business has asked that people don't OC on the premises.

·
Banned
1,100 Posts
-snip-

Heres your sign; if at any given time, you don’t see about 50%, or say 35% of every single person you see open carrying on a daily basis, then it’s probably not a socially accepted practice, regardless of what you want to think or project.

Options are these; get loud and proud like the LBGTQ whatever groups and get real public on a national level, or accept the fact that business do have a right to regulate activity on their premises, and continue on the political path to make changes in these policies.
-snip-
Instead of blaming the few who open carry right now consider if gun carriers had been open carrying, even if only 35% of them, for the past 30+ years instead of proudly proclaiming "concealed means concealed" open carry would already be a socially accepted practice.

Perhaps gun folks could learn something about how to become socially acceptable from the tactic of being right there in your face like the LGBTQ+ community has done. Maybe it is time for gun owners to come out of the concealed means concealed closet.

·
Premium Member
33,734 Posts
As I have said before, many here get locked in to the idea that we are a majority with a mutual understanding of all things firearms, and come to expect others to think in this way. We are not.

This has been the folly of those who believe that OC will “ educate” the public and normalize it in society by their antics and recordings in public places.

Now, the kick back is here, with the recent mass shootings to provide support for these new policies, which is probably supported by the vast majority of their customer base.

We as a gun community have not been able to self regulate. Everybody wants to be right, and do how they wanna do, regardless of how it effects the group as a whole.

Now, since this division has weakened our ability to present a united front, the regulation is being done for us.
All true. UBCs, Red Flag laws, AWBs and who knows what other repressive gun legislation are all on the table right now, and people are still wanting to plant the battle flag on OC vs. business owner property rights that actually affect very few one way or the other.

Reactions: G-man* and AzQkr

·
Premium Member
33,734 Posts
So a shirt covering a gun makes you more safe? Are you scared at the sight of a gun?
Does an uncovered gun make you more safe? Are you trying to scare people by displaying one openly?

·
Registered
18,298 Posts
So a shirt covering a gun makes you more safe? Are you scared at the sight of a gun?
Not relevant because you are trying to apply logic accordingly to your perception like it is everybody else’s perception and that is a big part of the problem in these discussions.

Many people are ok with what they don’t see.....that’s logical. But many do not want to see it, or want there children to see it or be around it.

Hell, I’ve seen a few greenhorns that I don’t want to be around carrying guns.

1 - 20 of 286 Posts