Defensive Carry banner
1 - 20 of 43 Posts

·
Registered
348 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am finally making an attempt to keep up with the times and get a smart phone. I have one selected (brand not important) but have run into some issues on how to carry the darn thing. I carry a fair amount of stuff on my belt already so horizontal phone carry may not work. The new smart phone is approximately 40% taller than my dumb phone so I am not sure how it will work if I carry in a vertical fashion. I typically carry my CCW gun on my right hip at 4:00 and reserve that side for the gun only. All other items are placed on the left side of the belt to balance out the weight. I hate having things in my pockets so the two front pockets are out. Back pocket doesn't seem to make sense either. I am pretty hard on things if they aren't protected so I am worried about damaging the screen on the new phone if its not completely covered. Does anybody have any advice that could help me out?

·
Registered
10,159 Posts
Unless it is a note or + iphone just stick it in your pocket .... Unless you are in a field where you need to be able to pull it out fast .....

·
Registered
1,006 Posts
Invest in a case, phones do not well when dropped.
My case has a clip on back, it goes in the right hand shirt pocket, clips in place so it doesn't hit the corn crete when I bend over.

·
Registered
8,816 Posts
What caliber is it? :ticking:

Seriously. I would invest in an Otter Box Defender or Armor model for it. A little pricey, but the more protective models come with a belt carrier that works well.

·
Registered
101 Posts
I carry a large phone (Nexus 6) and I just have a sturdy case and carry it in my back pocket. Easy.

Sent from my Nexus 6 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
648 Posts
I'm running into the same issue. I have an iPhone 7 plus, and no good place for it. Typically carry it on my right side in a belt clip, but now I'll have a gun on my right side. Left side belt has Esee izula, leatherman, flashlight, and spare magazine. Back left pocket is thick work gloves. Left front pocket is car keys and hand sanitizer. Right front pocket is pocket knife and chap stick. Right rear pocket is my billfold. I have no clue where I'm gonna fit my iPhone 7 plus with otterbox.

·
Registered
188 Posts
I have a wallet case and carry mine in my back pocket. Gotten into the habit of taking it out every time I sit down.

I also recommend LifeProof case's. They come with a one year warranty, no questions asked, in my experience.

Sent from my XT1585 using Tapatalk

·
Super Moderator
19,161 Posts
I have a Samsung Galaxy s7 I have no problem carrying in a horizontal belt holster on the left side.

·
Registered
3,187 Posts
My phone is on my belt at 9:00. Sometimes I slide it up to 10:00. Flashlight at 8:00. Multi-Tool about 5:00. Pepper Spray at about 4:00. Model 36 S&W AIWB. Speed Loaders right front pocket. 442 left front pocket. Money Clip right rear pocket. Wallet left rear pocket. Phone charger and keys right Cargo pocket. Personal stuff left Cargo pocket. If I don't have it, I don't need it.

·
Registered
4,892 Posts
+1 on the LifeProof. It kept a 4s going for years while hunting and fishing in wet weather.

I just got a 7 last week and since it's water resistant I put it in a leather case with front flap cover that doubles as a small wallet (4-5 cards plus cash slot, carries MIL ID, DL, CCL, debit card easily).

If pants pockets are out, and so is belt carry, guess that leaves shirt pockets. Just don't lean over.

·
Registered
10,327 Posts
I've been using this brand of case for a while.

Platinum Holster Case for Apple iPhone 6 and 6s Blue PT-MA64SHL - Best Buy

There's a shell that covers the back and sides of the phone, which clips into the belt holster part, face in. The holster can be rotated on its clip to positions from vertical to horizontal (I believe - this model looks slightly different from mine). I like it a lot, and for $20 it's a good deal.

·
Registered
270 Posts
Finally, my "lack of experience" in age has made me an "expert" in something on a thread on this website.

First things first, get yourself a Tampered Glass screen protector. The glass cover will crack instead of your actual glass screen WHEN you drop your phone, not IF, when. It's best to get the insurance for the glass cover as well for free replacements. Total cost of around $30-$40 for the tampered glass AND insurance.

Second, a HARD case, something either with thick/harder rubber or thick plastic. Thin plastic and soft rubber are worthless.

Last, the carry style. This is completely personal. I normally put mine in one of my front pockets or my rear left pocket. I have quite a few friends that carry them OWB Open carry style in any position ranging from 2:00 to 10:00 O'clock. Both vertical and horizontal. The weirdest style I've seen so far is a Watch/phone holster combination. The watch obviously faces upwards and the phone holster is on the under side of your wrist. Couldn't tell you where this watch/holster combo was found or who made it, it was the only one I've ever seen so far.

Also a heads up, new smart phones, regardless of the make, HATE getting cold. It you're outside and it's below 30 degrees your phone may have 90% battery life but it will "die" in the cold. Keep it warm when you can. Also, the battery life on these things is a complete joke. So if you're on your phone a lot prepare for it to die, fast.

·
Registered
3,249 Posts
I have a iPhone 6 in an otter box. Need the otter box or similar. You will drop it. The phone won't take kindly to the drop unless it is cradled snugly in an otter box. Welcome to the 21st century. You should try out myspace too. :image035:

·
Registered
305 Posts
look up if they make an otter box for your phone they come with a clip that can go to your belt anywhere or you can put it in a pocket.

·
Registered
305 Posts
What caliber is it? :ticking:

Seriously. I would invest in an Otter Box Defender or Armor model for it. A little pricey, but the more protective models come with a belt carrier that works well.
You can find otter boxes defender and armor models are on amazon for like 10 bucks some are even camo so you can't see them ;)

1 - 20 of 43 Posts