Defensive Carry banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
1,019 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Decided to buy a 4" barrel 686 to OC around my property. Out and about working in rain, snow, dust, on four wheeler, and running chainsaw (etc). Tired of putting my home defense pistol through the ringer. Don't want to buy before I pick out a holster.

Need a tough, secure, full length OWB holster for OC.

Advice?

·
Registered
1,019 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I have a 586 (4") and have used a Bianchi 5BHL for it from day one (almost 30 years)
It's a good holster and works very well for OC with the S&W.
Any issues having the trigger exposed? Does the thumb break hold the hammer down?

·
Banned
854 Posts
Decided to buy a 4" barrel 686 to OC around my property. Out and about working in rain, snow, dust, on four wheeler, and running chainsaw (etc). Tired of putting my home defense pistol through the ringer. Don't want to buy before I pick out a holster.

Need a tough, secure, full length OWB holster for OC.

Advice?
Found it- thank you Bubble751!

·
Registered
1,871 Posts
Any issues having the trigger exposed?
none-and I had a trigger job done to my 586 right after I bought it=lighter, smoother trigger

Does the thumb break hold the hammer down?
yes

I've never had an issue with the holster and have used it on hunting trips, lots of walking thru the woods, while riding the tractor-mowing, general property upkeep, etc. WHen I bought my 586 that was the only holster I could find...back in the day when Bianchi and Galco were about the only options in stores - pre internet - so that's what I went with and it was a good choice.
Good enough that I found no reason to replace it.

·
Registered
6,377 Posts
SafariLand and Bianchi were the industry standard for double action revolver leather holsters in the law enforcement arena for many years! I have not seen one from either company that wasn't good quality! Good luck!

·
Registered
1,871 Posts
oops My Mistake! My old Bianchi is a #10L not a #5BHL. very similar holsters though.
here are some photos with the 586. This is my wife's favorite pistol BTW.

IMG_7025.jpg
IMG_7026.jpg
IMG_7027.jpg

·
Registered
1,019 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
oops My Mistake! My old Bianchi is a #10L not a #5BHL. very similar holsters though.
here are some photos with the 586. This is my wife's favorite pistol BTW.
Thanks again for the information. Looks like one could spend a lot and not get anything different. That is one thing about rural living. I don't go to far from the house, because there is no telling what you'll see in the woods. No telling how many people critters have seem me with my pistol and decided to move on.

·
Registered
1,019 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Looks like Bianchi no longer makes this holster (that I could find). I have a thumb break holster for a semi auto and it is OK. The only company I can find with a thumb strap like yours is El Paso Saddlery (the Tom Threeperson's).

Anyone else have any other recommendations?

1 - 10 of 10 Posts