Defensive Carry banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Premium Member
603 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Title says it all. Currently have one of those thin sheet metal safes that, while great for securing the firearm (from children for example), aren't great at preventing theft. I'm in the market for a heavy duty bolted to the floor safe as I expand my collection.

Just curious for buying tips from some more experienced folk? My local gun show is next week, would there be deals to be had there in the way of safes or am I better off sticking to local? Any dos or don'ts or brands to stay away from?

Sorry if it's a dumb question, but I like to be well versed before making such a purchase and am looking for some buying tips from others with experience.

·
Registered
3,173 Posts
Some things to consider are size and weight. How many guns are you going to be putting in it, not just now, but maybe 10 years from now?
Where are you going to put it? Can the floor support that much weight? Do you want/need fire protection? Many "gun safes" are only 11 ga. steel sides, top, rear and pretty easy to cut through.
I like Sturdy gun safes, they're sturdy. Mine has 4 ga steel sides, top, rear so it's quite heavy at over 2000 lbs.and requires a concrete slab to sit on.

·
Registered
86 Posts
I would look at what your needs/future needs would require and go from there. Look up prices and educate yourself before the gun show. Most of the time prices are good but not always.

·
Registered
9,420 Posts
I would buy a safe large enough for AT LEAST twice as many guns as you have/want. Reason being is they dont usually determine the number of guns using the same number of long guns and hand guns as you have and arent putting other stuff in there like most people do. Also, dont let the size of the door fool you into thinking a thicker door is better. A lot of manufacturers use composite doors that make them thicker, but the metal used is still really thin. Lastly, when you find some you like, go on youtube and look up some videos for how to break into that safe and make sure its secure. Some safes are suprisingly easy to get into, and you dont want the theft of all of your guns being just a youtube view away.

Reactions: josh333 and Rooster

·
Registered
642 Posts
Going to be pretty expensive to do it up right, in this day and age a competent gun thief will come prepared to scale any and all obstacles. imo

Reactions: Rooster

·
Premium Member
603 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I would buy a safe large enough for AT LEAST twice as many guns as you have/want. Reason being is they dont usually determine the number of guns using the same number of long guns and hand guns as you have and arent putting other stuff in there like most people do. Also, dont let the size of the door fool you into thinking a thicker door is better. A lot of manufacturers use composite doors that make them thicker, but the metal used is still really thin. Lastly, when you find some you like, go on youtube and look up some videos for how to break into that safe and make sure its secure. Some safes are suprisingly easy to get into, and you dont want the theft of all of your guns being just a youtube view away.
Thanks for the response, and yea that's kind of scary to think a safe breaking tutorial is but a mere YouTube video away.

For now, I have 2 long guns and 10 handguns in my house. I plan to buy 2 more long guns before the end of the year. Judging by the responses here, I'm beginning to think my initial budget won't be enough for something as solid as I would like.

I got some homework... and overtime work to do apparently. :rofl:

·
Premium Member
603 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Thank you @G26Raven ! I'm actually glad I asked, a few of the responses here already have gears churning in the noggin that I hadn't thought of yet. Particularly the break-in-ability security.
@CavemanBob You know, I've always dismissed alarm systems due to always being a renter most of my life. 3 years into home ownership now, sounds more worth looking into! Thanks for the suggestion, all good stuff to run by SWMBO!

·
Registered
10,714 Posts
You're also going to hear from people who say a safe is a waste of money, because they can be cut into with a hand power tool. I don't doubt that they can, as there are videos of it being done. That's part of the reason why I have a heavy duty safe and we also have an alarm system. If they want to hang around while the alarm is going off, trying to cut into our safe, by all means have at it. It's all insured anyway.

·
Registered
10,714 Posts
I guess I have to laugh at the video above. I would NOT consider that a "heavy duty" gun safe. Here's what we have.

·
Premium Member
603 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
@G26Raven What did that run you if you don't mind me asking?

My initial budget of $1000 seems inadequate unless I can find something decent on the second hand market.

·
Registered
10,714 Posts
We bought it 3 years ago so I don't recall exactly. It's a Liberty and I want to say it ran about $1300.00 on sale.

I could not foresee where my firearms interest would take me when I first started shooting about 8 years ago. I started with a Gun Vault for a G17. After buying a couple more of those, we finally bought a safe about the size of the one in the video above. Once I started hunting, and my wife got her own AR, that became completely inadequate. When we moved from California to Utah, I sold the small one to a friend and we bought the one in the photo above here. It has enough room in it to store all of the long guns comfortably, plus our handguns, without things getting banged up. Plus, when we take a trip we can throw our laptops in it along with other valuables and still have space left over.

·
Premium Member
8,125 Posts
I guess I have to laugh at the video above. I would NOT consider that a "heavy duty" gun safe. Here's what we have.

That looks very much like the one we have (except I suspect ours is not as thick steel), and ours is also bolted to concrete and against not just one wall, but 3 with just a few inches between the walls of the safe and the walls of the closet, so the front and top are all that are accessible. It was fortunate that we had a closet that is just the right depth for the size safe we needed to fit so perfectly. The closet is about 8 or 10 feet long and we have shelving for lots and lots of other things in that closet, some shelving on the floor and some wall mounted.

I bought gun hangers for the lightest weight handguns, to hang them from the shelf above the long gun storage, and heavy duty metal racks that look like shoe racks for the other handguns. That leaves a couple shelves for the important papers and other stuff. Got both of those items from Amazon. But I buy almost every on Amazon except fresh produce. LOL

Our safe including installation from a local store was around $1,300 about a year ago. A lot of people have found great buys on second hand safes. You have to have time and patience for that. We have time but don't have the patience.

·
Registered
2,067 Posts
Buy the biggest safe you can or it will come back to haunt you

·
Registered
450 Posts
Im very happy with my Liberty safe. It was the right combo of protection and cost for me and with a good alarm and 2 dogs Im not overly worried. On a side note I rigged up my own LED light system. Liberty like some others are setup with electric access at rear. For about $40 off amazon I have adhesive backed LED lighting I wired to a motion sensor inside. Effective and cheap considering packaged safe lighting systems were 3 to 5 times that cost.

·
Registered
10,714 Posts
That looks very much like the one we have (except I suspect ours is not as thick steel), and ours is also bolted to concrete and against not just one wall, but 3 with just a few inches between the walls of the safe and the walls of the closet, so the front and top are all that are accessible. It was fortunate that we had a closet that is just the right depth for the size safe we needed to fit so perfectly. The closet is about 8 or 10 feet long and we have shelving for lots and lots of other things in that closet, some shelving on the floor and some wall mounted.
It took 3 big muscular guys and an electric dolly to get this off the truck and move this into place. I'm not too worried about your average burglars showing up with that size crew and equipment.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts