Defensive Carry banner

1 - 20 of 49 Posts

·
Registered
126 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a Springfield xds 9mm that I just cannot seem to conceal comfortably. I am not sure if other women have the same issue but I've tried wearing looser fitting clothes and the gun is still noticeable and bulges out. I am 5'4" and about 125 lbs, I am currently using a kydex holster and I have tried carrying it in a number of positions but nothing is working out for me. Short of getting a new and smaller pistol, what can I do to conceal effectively without getting a concealment purse? 20160404_130113.jpg 20160404_130122.jpg

·
Registered
4,693 Posts

·
Registered
973 Posts
What Dingbat said. If you are new to the game the smallest bulge you see looks like the Rocky Mountains and you think everyone will see it. Give us a view point and we will give you an honest opinion and suggestions.

·
Registered
1,488 Posts
I am bigger than you but I am able to comfortable conceal a P224 (about same size as XDS 3.3in but wider) AIWB about 10:30 (left-handed). I find the most comfortable type of holster is an all kydex AIWB specific holster similar to yours but with a soft loop. AIWB specific uses a wedge built into holster or or foam add on that pushes the grip in, which is usually where I will have a problem with printing. The soft loop allows the gun to move just enough to adjust to movements and thereby conceals better.. I would also look at your pants, because a lot of women's pants sit low below the waist. I find this can make the grip stick out more and be uncomfortable..

·
Banned
145 Posts
My wife gave up and just bought two different size concealment purses and is much happier. I am a guy and I pretty much just pocket carry. It is not comfortable for most to carry over a pound on your belt. I have advised against the XDs since it first came out due to its weight. It is very heavy for a thin gun. People see thin and think that makes it easier to carry but it does not. An extra tenth of an inch does not make a difference in concealment. Weight is also a big issue and what causes my hip to hurt as well as it does for my wife.

Try an LCP at 9 ounces or Sig P238, my wife's favorite at 25 Ounces. There are some good 9mm guns that weight 17 ounces or less. If you tried all the holster types they sell for women, there is not much you can do but carry off body. Just do as my wife did and get a purse with an cut resistant strap and carry it across your body to prevent it be snatched. There is also a benefit to carrying like that. At night my wife can put her hand into the gun compartment and hold the gun as she walks to her car in the dark. Much like it can be done with pocket carry.

As I mentioned, there are a lot of different gun choices. A NAA .22 mag mini revolver can be worn around your neck. My wife has one of those type holsters. Ankle holster or belly band are other choices too. Take a look at some of the female oriented web sites as my wife has done, watch the YouTube reviews and figure out what may work for you. My wife has returned 2 or 3 items that sounded good but just did not work out well for her. Trial and error./ I have 5 drawers filled with holsters and in the end, pocket carry is the easiest and most comfortable for me. I even have several off body carry bags to use on occasion. I brought back a fanny pack from China before they were in the US and have worn one since when warranted. I care more about carrying my gun than how I look.

Most of the women here carry an LCP, Glock 42/43 or Colt XSP. Small lightweight guns that they find comfortable to carry and easy to conceal.

·
Registered
36,326 Posts
... but I've tried wearing looser fitting clothes and the gun is still noticeable and bulges out. I am 5'4" and about 125 lbs ...
Depends utterly on where your curves are, how they curve, where your pants sit on those curves, how much space those pants and tops have for concealing those now-slightly-bulging-curves.

Photos of where/how you carry might help, in the clothing you normally carry with.

Some things to consider:

• Where your curves are, and how curvy those curves are. Myself, I cannot carry discreetly at certain spots along my belt line, simply due to the fact that at some spots my curves punch the butt-end of the pistol right out there. Whereas, at other spots, it tucks in nicely, by comparison.

• How high your pants ride, on, above or really above your waist. Can change everything, in terms of how it tucks in, in there.

• The specific cut/shape of your selected pants and covering garments. A bit larger is fine, generally, but more importantly it needs to be of a cut that accommodates a holstered sidearm without pushing out the butt-end and without binding during normal movements. Not all clothing does this well. And overall fitment impacts things, too; just bumping up the sizing by one or two sizes doesn't reliably fix all problems here.

• Not all holsters tuck in as snugly and tightly, on all people. While a dozen others might find that same holstered sidearm tucks in fine at, say, the 4:00 o'clock position (for a RH), you might find your curves don't allow that same snugly-tucked-in fitment. A different holster that tucks in more closely might be partly what you need. Likely, though, a slightly different spot along your belt line might solve much of the issue. Which might require alteration of your belt loops to accommodate.
Some things to consider.

·
Registered
3,939 Posts
I think it's awesome that you are sticking it out and willing to ask advice. To be honest it took me a while to feel totally comfortable too.
What position are you carrying in? Have you tried 4 o'clock? Does your holster have any cant adjustments and have you tried it at a full cant? I find that many holsters cause the grip to print with no cant. In fact with the holster canted and in the right spot it causes the backstrap where the web of your hand lays to lay across the curve of your body, or in my case my love handle. This allows the gun to have a lower profile.

That's all ive got for now.

·
Registered
5,929 Posts
Try adjusting the clip to a straight drop (zero cant). Then try appendix carry (1:00 for right handers, 11:00 for lefties).

That holster rides pretty low. I've read that women with a curve to their hip can benefit from a higher rise holster. The hip pushes the higher riding grip into the curve of the ribs to better conceal. Plus, women tend to have much more fashion options than men. Ladies have many cover accessories that look natural. Guys have only figured out the Hawaiian shirt and nature photographer gun vest. :palmier:

·
Registered
1,259 Posts
Try something like a Galco KingTuk. Larger holster (at least the leather back-plate is) . . . but it streads the "lump" out so that it is less apparant and VERY comfortable.

It also has four adjustment holes on each side to allow a lot of fine tuning. I wore mine at 3:00PM today and biked 15 miles along a canal trail, had lunch at Dinosaur BBQ in Syracuse and walked through the downtown in comfort and peace of mind.

·
Registered
182 Posts
What style of pants and top do you prefer wearing? It's easy for guys cause everything's basically the same shape and all you have to do is go up a size, but for women there's tons and tons of different shapes and styles of clothing. Knowing what you're working with will help us try to figure something out with your preferences.

·
Super Moderator
18,428 Posts
Are you using a good belt for that pistol and holster combination? In the overall scheme of things you aren't totin' a large gun/holster combination.

Do you need a new belt rather than a different gun?

I feel I can carry most anything under a covering garment if I have a good stiff gun belt or an approximation thereof as a foundation. "Saggin' and baggin'" caused by flimsy, thin belts will cause more nuisance bulging and some discomfort to the wearer as well.

http://www.defensivecarry.com/forum/bigfoot-gun-belts/229144-bigfoot-gun-belts-q-thread-all-your-questions-answered-here.html

https://www.daltechforce.com/womens-ladies-gun-belt

Women's Holster Belt - Black Patent Leather

https://www.gungoddess.com/holster-belts/

Tactical Belt - Operator, Duty & Leather Belts | 5.11 Tactical

Reactions: Eric357

·
Registered
65 Posts
I own an XDS9 and as a man I think it's a heavy gun to carry, so if you are 125lbs I would imagine you would be experiencing the same. I still have the gun and shoot it frequently at the range, but it is designated to winter time carry when I can go outside the waistband carry because of extra clothing. I recently bought the Sig Sauer P938 and what a difference. I would say that if you are dead set on IWB carry, which I'm all for, I think it may be time to start looking for a smaller gun. Most people that carry go thru what you are experiencing now and a lot of them end up giving up and not carrying at all. So it's important to have a firearm that you are going to be comfortable carrying. I'm not big on changing my entire style of clothing around a gun, so I did the opposite and changed the gun around my clothing. Regardless of what you end up doing, good luck and stick to it, you will figure something out.

·
Registered
4,404 Posts
My wife is 5'1 about 120 pounds. Her edc is a Xds. After a while she found that most time she preferred to wear owb instead of iwb. After awhile she also discovered that a leather holster worked for her better because it conformed to her shape. The Xds is a fine little carry gun. You might just want to look more into holster and belts. My wife also uses a belly band for those times a belt just wont work.

·
Registered
635 Posts
I am not a woman, so I can't really give you advice. I did point my daughter to this site which (as the name states) is for women who are armed. They have articles and personal stories on a wide range of topics, including carrying attire, holsters, etc.

The Well Armed Woman

·
Registered
3,885 Posts
My wife carries a full size PX4 Storm or XDm 40. She found that spot just behind her hip works best for her. She uses a Nelson Stealth, all leather, holster. That holster is larger in width than yours and spreads out the holster footprint. She uses a 1.25" Wilderness 5 stitch Frequent Flier belt.. She also uses a shoulder holster when she cant use a belt.

If you are comfortable with the current gun you have, there is no reason to give it up. Lightweight does not necessarily equal easier concealment and has its own drawbacks. Kydex holsters are unforgiving in shape. Consider a all leather holster that will spread out the footprint and conform better to your body. Try a number of different positions on your belt. Your current holster may well be the cause of your problem. Not all holsters are designed as well as they could be. Some will actually kick the gun butt away from your body causing printing problems. Look at the web sights dedicated to female carriers and the advice they offer. Post photos if you can. You may not be printing as badly as you think you are. Keep trying different things and never give up.

·
Registered
214 Posts
Appendix carry was the ticket for me. 0 Cant in your holster is a must for appendix. The "actual" spot for me is just in front of my anterior superior iliac spine (google it), to the side of the belly. Not directly center.

Stop looking down. Stop tugging your shirt. Stop brushing it with your arm to check on it. Your tells will give it away more than a bulge will. Strap it on and forget about it!

By the way, that was rhetoric. I have no idea if you actually do those things or not.

Also the xds might be "small" but its kind of bulky in strange dimensions. I think the CM9, P938, and even the glock 43 carry better.

·
Registered
9,323 Posts
Carry a G17 AIWB. Never even get a glance

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Reactions: matthew03

·
Premium Member
1,031 Posts
Have you considered off body as in purse ?

·
Registered
3,094 Posts
I have a Springfield xds 9mm that I just cannot seem to conceal comfortably. I am not sure if other women have the same issue but I've tried wearing looser fitting clothes and the gun is still noticeable and bulges out. I am 5'4" and about 125 lbs, I am currently using a kydex holster and I have tried carrying it in a number of positions but nothing is working out for me. Short of getting a new and smaller pistol, what can I do to conceal effectively without getting a concealment purse? View attachment 139953 View attachment 139961
Try a holster that rides high(belt loops low on the holster) to get the gun away from your hip and into the curve of your body.

1 - 20 of 49 Posts