Defensive Carry banner

1 - 20 of 36 Posts

·
Registered
925 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've never owned an optical device for my AR15.

I'm converting my ancient Bushmaster over to a new configuration which includes a fancy new LWRC DI upper, fancy trigger group, and MBUS polymer folding sights. I went overboard for the likes of me on the upper for the level of use it is likely to see for the rest of my life, but there's a little feeling of ownership pride since, for the moment, I can afford it. A fool and his money...

Anyway, I'm thinking about some kind of middle-of-the-road up to modestly fancy optical device. Routine use of this rifle is for prairie dogs, target shooting, and self defense. Is there single type of device that would fit the bill for all roles, or should I be thinking about a couple of different device types because a single one won't quite get it done?

In addition to the above, what brands/models in your experience would you easily recommend?

My thanks for any responses.

·
Super Moderator
18,099 Posts
I have several of each buy I can testify to Eotech and Aimpoint.

Both are excellent. The Aimpoint battery life is phenomenal. You can just leave it on, 2-3 years is not uncommon.

If you don't want to spend that much the next best thing is the Vortex. I have two of them and they work just fine.

·
Registered
522 Posts
I have an Aimpoint Pro on my AR and have been extremely happy with it, as HotGuns mentioned the battery life is excellent and since I zeroed mine in it's stayed on target after a couple of thousand rounds, not ridiculously expensive for such a great optic, they go in the low $400.00 range.

·
Registered
925 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I have an Aimpoint Pro on my AR and have been extremely happy with it, as HotGuns mentioned the battery life is excellent and since I zeroed mine in it's stayed on target, not ridiculously expensive for such a great optic, they go in the low $400.00 range.
That's a price range that sounds reasonable.

·
Registered
925 Posts
Discussion Starter #6

·
Registered
6,390 Posts
I have an EOTech and like the dot/circle reticle. I also like the large window and how the housing doesn't obstruct my view.
It's never given me any issues.

·
Registered
4,117 Posts
I have an Aimpoint, a Vortex, and a Sig something or other that was $95. The Sig one is pretty good and I bought it on a groupon deal. The Vortex is probably the best for the value and the Aimpoint is what you would expect. I like them all for what they cost.

That being said, I think I just like iron sights.

·
Registered
925 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I really like the Aimpoint Pro, but the Vortex offerings are pretty persuasive. I'm still reading around.

My thanks for the responses so far. I do appreciate it.

·
Premium Member
2,250 Posts
Holy smokes Batman! Those eotechs are really expensive. I didn't pay that much for my AR. $1000 plus for some models.

·
Premium Member
4,459 Posts
I have an EOTech and like the dot/circle reticle. I also like the large window and how the housing doesn't obstruct my view.
It's never given me any issues.
That is the same outfit I got. Kinda love it. If you want to do some longer range stuff you can add a 3X magnifier. If for regular long distance look for a 3-9 scope but it's hard to beat the EOTech for closer work. They have a 1 degree dot. I think the next closest is 2 degrees. I don't care about the near forever battery life. The EOTech lasts plenty long.

·
Registered
925 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Eotech devices are off the table. It is not the price. It is the company's lack of ethics. Said lack of ethics affected even the Denver Police Department with their fraudulent practices.

So far, it's Aimpoint Pro vs. some of the Vortex line.

Reactions: Havok and hcrum87hc

·
Registered
3,019 Posts
I have an Aimpoint T-1 on my patrol rifle. The thing is great and incredibly durable and weighs just a few oz. After a while, all the bells and whistles begin adding weight.......if you are really wanting to spend your $$, you can buy a 3x magnifier with tip-off mount.

Whatever optic you buy, make sure you buy from a reputable dealer--there are lots of "great deals" out there, but most are cheap, Chinese made knock-offs. I have used LaRue Tactical--they are top shelf guys!!!

Reactions: Clandestiny

·
Registered
925 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Optics Planet has the Aimpoint Pro for a reasonable price and free shipping. I like this company and have had every order go without any problems and when I had any questions, they were handled. The only kick I have against them is their product pages don't always jive with their available inventory.

Reactions: Chaplain Scott

·
Vendor
1,638 Posts
I love the Eotech and Aimpoint optics and for a budget red dot its hard to beat the primary arms red dots.
Eotech has had a lot of bad press lately but I have owned two of the 512 models and they are still kicking with no problems, one has been in pretty hard use as I mounted it on a select fire m4 (Legally owned just not mine, I WISH) and it did just fine with a drum mag dump followed by three 30 round mag dump so it did get some heat, and the same eotech has worked just fine in 32 degree temps.

Now the primary arms has been my beater red dot and still works great but the laser for the red dot is epoxied into place on it and the owner of primary arms says don't use it in a life on the line type environment because of the epoxy, to be honest as much as it has been threw I would almost trust it for anything.

·
Registered
925 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
I took a look there first and visited Optics Planet, too. I have little loyalty to any particular vendor, but I do seem to spend a lot of money through Amazon. I usually start there, then look around and compare.

·
Registered
8,905 Posts
I took a look there first and visited Optics Planet, too. I have little loyalty to any particular vendor, but I do seem to spend a lot of money through Amazon. I usually start there, then look around and compare.
Optics Planet is a good place to buy.... optics (and other items). I ordered a Nightforce scope from them and the way they presented the price was misleading. I called them and complained and they honored the lower price.

·
Premium Member
1,731 Posts
The red dots mentioned above are great - aimpoint and eotech specifically.

I started out with a red dot then I decided to go with a 1x4 scope on my AR.

Bushnell throwdown PCL 1x4 first focal plane illuminated scope to be exact - I got mine on sale on Amazon prime for $189.00 - they are typically more expensive than that though. ($250 or so)

I like it because at 1x power it works like a red dot and at 4x power it works like a nice low powered scope and since its first focal plane you can switch back and forth and it stays zero'd.

I like options.

Drawback = heavier than a red dot.

1 - 20 of 36 Posts