Defensive Carry banner

1 - 20 of 41 Posts

·
Registered
6,514 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've been bitten by a bug for getting a BUG.....for DUTY use on the vest

I'm looking at contributing to the economy and also needing to get a lightweight wheelie BUG.
I tried my Keltec P11 but carrying it for 10 hours on the straps of my vest wasn't the most pleasant experience, made me feel lopsided and got very uncomfortable around the 4 hour mark so I removed it.

I'm looking for a 5 shot .38 +P rated wheelie for a BUG.
I've shot a buddy's Taurus 85 titanium 38 and its a nice trigger and super lightweight. Here's the two from Taurus I'm looking at:

CIA MODEL 850 .38 SPL. SHADOW GRAY REVOLVER IN TOTAL TITANIUM
Taurus International Manufacturing Inc

ULTRA-LITE TITANIUM MODEL 85 .38 SPL. REVOLVER WITH CONCEALED HAMMER
Taurus International Manufacturing Inc
Both of these are around 10 oz less than my P11 which I know will help (13.5oz & 16oz respectfully). This is the weight I'm looking for.

I've held the S&W 642/442 and they feel good also. And I know they have a big following both on our forum here and elsewhere. I will say I do not like the internal lock and will not get one of these with the lock. I've read that a 'smith can remove the lock components rather quickly if not needed in the state. Has anyone had this done? Is it exactly like the non-lock versions...no 'differences'?

How about the M&P 340 Revolver...anyone have any experience with them ?.....as a BUG

Remember my requirements when recommending:
1. Hammerless....not just bobbed or low profile....no external hammer at all
2. lightweight 16oz or under
3. 38+P (.357 optional)
4. No Ruger LCR

Thanks

·
Registered
112 Posts
you can't go wrong with the 340 M&P, overall it's a very nice gun. It's lightweight, concealable, dependable, and it will shoot .357 mag. I have never had any problems with mine and carry it more often than anything else just because it rides in a pocket so well, after a while I forget it's there.

·
Super Moderator
10,458 Posts
Personally I'd go with a smith over a Taurus. They have been producing some j-frames lately without locks, don't know how hard to find they are. If you have a gunsmith remove it, there is still going to be at least the hole from the lock on the pistol. Taurus also has an internal lock on many of their handguns, I've seen it on the hammer on their revolvers.

So, I'd decide if you like your pistols shiny or black, and get a 642 or 442

·
Registered
7,974 Posts

·
Registered
5,327 Posts
you can't go wrong with the 340 M&P, overall it's a very nice gun. It's lightweight, concealable, dependable, and it will shoot .357 mag. I have never had any problems with mine and carry it more often than anything else just because it rides in a pocket so well, after a while I forget it's there.
+1..love mine.

·
Registered
6,514 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
A P11 heavy? Hmmm....

Well, the 642 is a tad bit lighter I suppose. I would choose it.
well, the P11 was heavy on the vest strap, felt like it was pulling down on the left side of my shoulder/neck, got quite uncomfortable
642 is 15oz, P11 is 24oz

·
Super Moderator
10,458 Posts
I'd see if you can find a 340 and a 442 to shoot, and then decide if you want to have the ability to fire .357's, or just +p's out of your BUG.

The 340 is 3 ounces lighter than the 42's though

·
Registered
22,908 Posts
I carry a 442 in the exact method and role you want one for. I have no issues with it. I use a Mika holster, but made a few minor changes to make it a bit better for me and my vest carrier. If you want the details, shoot me a PM.

For the lock, you don't need a gunsmith; Pop open the cover and remove the linkage with a needle nose and you're done.

·
Banned
10,182 Posts
I like the Taurus 605 over the 85. Also have and love the 617 (7 shot). I have both in .357.

·
Registered
6,514 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
I carry a 442 in the exact method and role you want one for. I have no issues with it. I use a Mica holster, but made a few minor changes to make it a bit better for me and my vest carrier. If you want the details, shoot me a PM.

For the lock, you don't need a gunsmith; Pop open the cover and remove the linkage with a needle nose and you're done.
thanks for the info

·
Premium Member
5,765 Posts
I removed the internal tab of the lock in less than 15 minutes...There are several you tube videos covering the subject...

I carried the way you're thinking, for about 15 years, and it's a great way to carry a BUG...

·
Registered
77 Posts
I carry a 442 in the exact method and role you want one for. I have no issues with it. I use a Mika holster, but made a few minor changes to make it a bit better for me and my vest carrier. If you want the details, shoot me a PM.

+2
I did the same thing regarding the holster. I spoke with Mika at length about carrying my Model 438 (shrouded hammer) J-Frame on my vest. My revolver weighs 15 oz. (unloaded) so I don't see it being an issue on my vest. If push comes to shove and I find I don't like the "weight" of the 438 on the vest, I'll just get the 340PD at 12 oz. I don't have my holster yet but I'm looking forward to it. Give Mika a call and discuss with him what your needs are and I'm sure he'll help you.

Just like Sixto, I'm going to remove my lock too when the holster arrives. I like revolvers and prefer S&W, Ruger and Colts. Revolvers can be addicting.

Shark

·
Registered
384 Posts
642. Good luck finding it witout the lock.

I have one with the lock and I have never had a problem. Awesome as a bug.

·
Registered
52 Posts
I picked up a 340 pd about two months ago, removed the lock tab for the inside in about 15 minutes. I could shoot 38 +p’s all day long and might be what I carry in it.
357’s pack a lot bigger punch in this light gun but are manageable even one handed. I have not tried 357 in my weak hand yet. This is by far one of my favorite little guns yet.

·
Registered
34 Posts
I would get a S&W over a Taurus, but the Taurus 950 (9mm) interests me. I carried a S&W M38 airweight bodyguard for years as a BUG and off duty. Great gun, should have not sold it years ago. I carried it in a IWB behind a knife case on my Sam Brown, it was not very visible with a Duty Jacket on. Before I acquired the M38, I had a Llama 380 I attached to a vest strap with a homemade holster, very uncomfortable! Hard to reach and I hated carrying that Llama cocked and locked! I was much happier with my M38!!!!

·
Registered
2,163 Posts
I agree the lock is not a issue and easily removed. I believe the perfect BUG snubnose to be the S&W 649, I like being able to fire mag rounds, have the option of SA and no issues with snags!! I also carry it in a Mika holster.

NCH

·
Registered
83 Posts
I posted this yesterday on another forum:

Mine is a 340 PD. See my avatar. I bought it for the weight, not for 357's.
Although, if it's built strong enough for a 357, it should certainly be strong enough to last
a very long time with any 38.
Mine is loaded with Buffalo Bore 125 +P's, to avoid any lead issues I have read about
in the 2 piece barrels of Scandium guns. A close 2nd choice is the Corbon DPX +P.
Mine is carried in a Mika. A Mika feels a little stiff for the first couple of days,
but after that, for me, it's the best.
When I first got it, I loaded it with DPX +P as the first 2, followed by 3 Corbon DPX 357's.
Figuring I could get off a fast first 2 and be warmed up for the next 3.
But the Buffalo Bore numbers for the 125 +P's are so close to the DPX 357's,
I decided to keep all 5 the same. Plus, the recoil is less than the 357's.
The grips are the old Rogers/Safariland composite that I had cut to
just below the frame by the gunsmith at King's Gunworks in Glendale, CA.
They weigh nothing and can still be found at gun shows. They were made for J, K, & N Frames.

·
Registered
10,071 Posts
I have a S&W 442 with lock and I love it. I like the internal lock since I have small kids at home and never had any issues with it. Taurus is now putting internal locks on their guns as well. I just bought a PT709 and it has a the Taurus Security System internal lock. You can buy a version of the 642 or 442 without the lock. I've seen them in my local shops recently. I like the matte black 442 personally. Many holsters available for lots of applications for the snub 38s. The snub nosed 38 was the original concealed carry and back up gun...time proven. Lots of new variations now. I have a 60s S&W model 49 bodyguard shrouded hammer. Love it too, but a little heavier.

1 - 20 of 41 Posts