Defensive Carry banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am taking a trip Texas in Jan and would like to carry but I have go onto Fort Hood during my stay and the hotel we will be at (off base) does not have a safe so I would have to leave the weapon in the hotel room during the day. I don't really like that option but it is the only one I know of if I want to carry on the trip. Does anybody have any suggestions or advice? :confused:

·
Registered
92 Posts
What I have done a few times is chain a hard-shell lockable gun case to the bedframe with enough chain to slide it out of sight under the bed.

Not the perfect solution, but better than a hotel room safe IMO.

·
Registered
163 Posts
Have you tried calling the Provost Marshall at the post to get advice? Every post and base has some arrangement for storing weapons belonging to post residents who can't have weapons in the barracks or family housing.

Even then, be careful to get the name, rank, and job title of everyone you speak to in case of "misunderstandings " later. If I was calling I'd ask for an officer in charge because I've called Quantico Marine Base a couple of times and gotten differing answers.

The suggestion about chaining a case to the bed is good, but it's also a non-starter in many hotels because the beds are on a platform to prevent guests losing things under the beds (plus, it means housekeeping doesn't have to clean under there!)

·
Registered
5,050 Posts
I assume you mean that the hotel doesn't have deposit boxes either. A lot of them don't any more.

This happened to me this summer. I locked the gun in a case inside my luggage and locked my luggage. Not the most secure, but better than stashing it under my dirty underwear in a drawer. :silly:

Whatever you do don't take it on the base. If they search you and find it, you will not have a good day.

-Scott-

·
Registered
814 Posts
Don't forget to pack for an extended stay. We're very Pro-Gun down here and it's beauiful. You might want to relocate. :biggrin:

Seriously, the idea about chaining to the bed or other stout object has merit. Dunno if the Provost is something I would do as you will have to sign the weapon in and out every time you leave base. PITA, IMHO. Twice daily trips to the MP station is not my idea of quality time.

I have one of those bedside stand single gun safes with the finger detents to open them bolted up in a corner of the trunk of my car. I lock it up in there whenever I encounter a situation that I can't carry. Again the risk of carrying on a military installation might be more than you want to take, but in a trunk in a safe is low risk and is acceptable to me.

·
Premium Member
25,483 Posts
<shudder> - hotel rooms!!

I guess options are rather limited here and so I probably would follow Scott's method - sounds like some previous planning will be good, to maximize the method of keeping secure when it becomes necessary.

·
Registered
6,011 Posts
Options for Off Post storage...

Well, you could rent a safety deposit box at a local bank. I think it's illegal to store a gun in one of those, but whose gonna know for just a matter of days?

Or you could look into similar storage like a bus terminal or train depot as long as you're discreet about what's going inside. If you have a close buddy who lives in OFF POST housing, that would be an ideal solution, as long as you trust him. Upscale hotels usually have deposit safes, but you'll spend more for the room. But you know, when I stayed at a Best Western in Orlando, FL for my daughter's wedding, that place had safes for guest storage. Check around to other motels. As I said before, none of my suggestions is a perfect solution.... maybe not even a good solution.... but it's a thought.

One thing is for sure: DO NOT CARRY THE WEAPON ON POST without written permission from the Provost Marshal, or the post commander. Preferably both.

·
Registered
34 Posts
If you have a ccw from a reciprocal state then all is cool. If not, then to be legal your weapon must be inaccessable to you in your car, ie., locked in the trunk. If you store in your glove box, be sure that your insurance documents are not next to your roscoe in case DPS pulls you over.

A locked suitcase sounds best. I purchased several Samsonite hardsided bags just for this reason.

·
Registered
269 Posts
Patmarc45 said:
If you have a ccw from a reciprocal state then all is cool. If not, then to be legal your weapon must be inaccessable to you in your car, ie., locked in the trunk.
Actually, in Texas, anyone who can legally possess a firearm, and is traveling, can carry it inside a motor vehicle. The firearm can be loaded and must be concealed. If it is in view it is a violation of the law.
Go to Packing.org for more info.
Good luck. :smile:

·
Registered
249 Posts
Concealed Carry on a Military Base

I have the same problem going up to Oklahoma. I am a civilian contractor with a CHL in Texas doing a lot of work at Tinker AFB. Is it legal to carry on base if you have a CHL or reciprocal in the state that the military base is located?

·
Super Moderator
25,537 Posts
40FIVER said:
I have the same problem going up to Oklahoma. I am a civilian contractor with a CHL in Texas doing a lot of work at Tinker AFB. Is it legal to carry on base if you have a CHL or reciprocal in the state that the military base is located?
Unless things have really changed, military bases are federal and not subject to state laws or regulations. Carry on base is usually prohibited for the most part and getting caught would not be a fun thing.

Used to be any carry on base was up to the base commander, and as a civilian your chances are probably slim.

·
Registered
92 Posts
40FIVER said:
Nope.
I've been in that situation on 2 bases in 2 states and a permit is not recognized on either...I'm fairly sure that is the same for all bases.

I have joined the public shooting clubs/ranges at both bases, which might give me a little slack if I should 'forget' about the truck gun...but I don't carry on base...much as it grieves me... :frown:

·
Registered
6,868 Posts
No....you can't CC a weapon on a military base unless you are an on-duty LEO performing an official function on a base, on-duty military personnel requiring the weapon as part of their assigned duties, or have written permisson from at least the post/base commander (and probably the chief military LE official: provost marshal, base security police, etc.)

·
Registered
737 Posts
Chances are the MP's can hold it for you while you're on base, providing you've checked out the procedure in advance. Other than that, you may be able to find a local gun range that offers secure storage for a day or two.

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
hey thanks for all the advice and carrying in texas will not be a problem it is just the militery base that is causing the issue. I will think I will go the route of using a hard case and chaining it to the bed out of sight while on base. I may also conact the base to see about options regarding them storing it. Thanks to all that posted.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts