Defensive Carry banner

1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
1,129 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm looking for recommendations for inexpensive 1911's. The term "inexpensive" can vary depending on your bank account, but for the sake of this discussion I'm looking for less than $700 MSRP. Here's the story behind my inquiry.

I took my (for lack of a better term) brother-in-law shooting this past weekend, once at home and once at the local shooting range. He is a tall man, being 6' 9" and roughly 250lbs and with that comes large hands. He tried subcompact autos, medium frame revolvers, and one 1911, Gov't size. He really enjoyed the Ruger SR1911 and so we went to the local indoor range (they had free rentals for the three day weekend) and I had him try out a Commander 1911. It was a Kimber (don't know the model), as the owner of the establishment has a hard-on for Kimber, and I figured he would have liked it. He didn't enjoy the shorter barrel and still preferred the 5" Ruger. I'd like to get him to try more full size handguns, but right now that just isn't possible.

He has no experience with handguns prior to this weekend and I happened to have sparked a bit of interest in him. He mentioned he wants one for Christmas, so I'm here trying to get a feel for what is all out there as far as budget 1911's. I am taking it upon myself to find out what I should recommend to him after he opens all of his cards December 25th. I'd also like to know in advance so I can order a holster for him.

I've heard good things about Rock Island Armory. That's about it. Thanks in advance DC community!

Reactions: gatorbait51

·
Registered
195 Posts
I see SIXTO beat me to it. I would look at the Range Officer and not look back. I assume your were talking about .45 cal. in 1911; however, 9MM is available with the RO as well.

·
Premium Member
5,957 Posts
No reason not to buy the Ruger if he likes it. Great gun.

·
Registered
606 Posts
One of my more inexpensive 1911s is a .45 taurus. I know lots of people absolutely despise taurus but mine has never given me any problems after hundreds of rounds. Pretty accurate too. Other than that, I'd say the other recommendations already listed are spot on as well.

·
Registered
58 Posts
One of my more inexpensive 1911s is a .45 taurus. I know lots of people absolutely despise taurus but mine has never given me any problems after hundreds of rounds. Pretty accurate too. Other than that, I'd say the other recommendations already listed are spot on as well.
I have the same experience, not a single malfunction with mine yet.

·
Registered
17 Posts
I have 2 Colt .45's that are customized. I wanted a 9mm 1911 but I couldn't find a Colt and I couldn't afford a Dan Wesson Valor. I picked up an RIA 5" 9mm thinking that if I didn't like it I wouldn't be out much (I paid $499.00) I changed the sites to a Dawson Fiber Optic front and a Dawson plain black rear. I changed the barrel bushing to an EGW angle bore. Nothing wrong with the RIA bushing, I just have these in my Colts. I rounded off the sharp edges of the thumb safety's. My RIA slide to frame fit is tighter fitting than either of my Colts and it is smooth and extremely accurate. I have over 3,000 rounds through this gun with no problems whatever. I use this gun for IDPA. I think RIA is the best kept secret in 1911's. I would definitely buy another.

·
Registered
199 Posts
I have 2 Colt .45's that are customized. I wanted a 9mm 1911 but I couldn't find a Colt and I couldn't afford a Dan Wesson Valor. I picked up an RIA 5" 9mm thinking that if I didn't like it I wouldn't be out much (I paid $499.00) I changed the sites to a Dawson Fiber Optic front and a Dawson plain black rear. I changed the barrel bushing to an EGW angle bore. Nothing wrong with the RIA bushing, I just have these in my Colts. I rounded off the sharp edges of the thumb safety's. My RIA slide to frame fit is tighter fitting than either of my Colts and it is smooth and extremely accurate. I have over 3,000 rounds through this gun with no problems whatever. I use this gun for IDPA. I think RIA is the best kept secret in 1911's. I would definitely buy another.
Another vote for RIA's - I have three and no complaints.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Considering that it would be his first handgun and he likes Rugers maybe consider getting him a Ruger SR9 or 9E. yeah a bit smaller than a 1911 but still a Fullsize handgun. And The 9e is an awesome first handgun for someone new, PLUS the price!! 300-350 all day. The 9E is the budget version of an SR9 minus the fancy case and just one magazine but it has an adjustable backstrap and an excellent grip.Possibly the best semi-auto Striker fired handgun for the price. I,ve put well over 2000 rounds through mine and never had one single issue,,,well it hates that cheap russian made steel case ammo, but it will spit out everything else I put through it with no issue

·
Registered
289 Posts
And yet another vote for Rock Island... My RIA 9mm is 5 years old. Lost count after 2000 rounds. Not even a hiccup. Ball and hollow point.. I too, rounded off the thumb safety a bit. My next purchase will be one in .45acp...

·
Registered
1,390 Posts
My Ruger CMD has been flawless in function with 1000+ rounds downrange of all types of ammo. It's my daily carry with Wilson mags.

·
Registered
1,066 Posts
+1 on the Ruger SR1911 or CMD version. Great pistols for the money IMHO.

·
Registered
2,408 Posts
Three Rock Islands here,a Compact,Tac and a GI. All in .45ACP with multiple Thousands of rounds through them and they go "BOOM" Everytime!. On Target and who could ask for more??.

·
Registered
12,686 Posts
I'm just glad someone asked a best-value-for-budget guestion and EVEN gave us a...BUDGET!
That's mighty considerate OP, Thanks. (You already have some great answers.) :yup:

1 - 20 of 31 Posts