Defensive Carry banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
354 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have decided I would like to buy a good 22 pistol or revolver. For plinking and fun with my sons. (We have several 22 rifles.)
I am sort of a revolver guy, and my carry gun is a chiefs special 38 revolver. But it does not have to be a Smith, although I would prefer a double action gun, not a SA Ruger or the like. I would consider an semi auto.
I will pay a reasonable price.
I appreciate all advice. :urla9ub:
God Bless

·
Registered
5,134 Posts
the sp 101 is made in .22 , smith offers k and j frames , i belive taurus makes a da .22 ( or they did anyway )

·
Registered
302 Posts
I got a S&W 18-3 Combat Masterpiece, wonderful gun, but I think you would have to get a model 17 now as the 18 is discontinued.
I don't have any semi's in .22, so no comment. ( A buckmark is on my wishlist!)

·
Super Moderator
19,004 Posts
The Taurus .22 is a nice DA wheelie. My bro has 1, very nice to shoot with the hi vis sights.

·
Registered
2,292 Posts
Bud White said:
Smith for a wheelie and ruger mark ii preferable to a mk iii for auto
What he said but I would also consider a old army SA style for a wheel gun.

·
Registered
2,488 Posts
Taurus .22 wheelie, Browning semi. If you can find an old High Standard, wheelie or semi, they are hard to beat (but going up in price!).

·
Premium Member
25,483 Posts
The Ruger MkII is good tho I personally prefer the 22/45 because of controls and grip angle etc.

The Taurus .22 wheelie would probably be a good value buy but if you ever find a M17 or K-22 at a decent price, get it. That IMO for a DA .22 revo is about as nice as it gets.

·
Registered
6,011 Posts
When I give a CCW class as an instructor, I ALWAYS take my students to the range (even though not required by state law). They have to meet my standards before I'll issue the certificate. This only means they must apply what I've taught them. I ALWAYS start them off on my Ruger Super Single Six S.A. in 22LR. By making the students cock the gun for each shot, I can better analyze technique without having to worry about them getting too lively with the trigger and getting a whole lot of shots too fast....also the Ruger is EXTREMELY accurate. I have taken many squirrels and rabbits with that gun. I also have a cylinder for the 22 WMR and in a pinch, I'd use that in a hostile encounter. Well, if I had to, I'd use the 22LR as well...but I'd rather have the 22 magnum.

·
Registered
10,807 Posts
Over the past couple of days the names FireStorm and Bersa have been mentioned in several threads. The manufacturer of both brands is Bersa in Argentina. The importer has stopped importing the Bersa Thunder .32 and .22 L.R. versions, but continues to import the FireStorm .32 and .22 L.R. As has been said a number of times on CC Bersa and the quality of their products is one of the best kept gun secrets there is. The FireStorm .22 is a DA/SA semi-auto. The mag holds 10 rounds. The going price on these pistols new is about $200.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts