Defensive Carry banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
3,275 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
OK, based on some experiences last night on Patrol (1st incident: pickup truck full of five very drunk adult men--two Reserve Deputies and closest backup is literally 52 miles away), I've decided that I'm going to get my tax stamp and get an SBR.

I will probably buy another Aimpoint T-1,(or maybe an Eotech) but am interested in experienced thoughts on barrel lengths (advantages, disadvantages), placement of a light, manufacturers, etc.

Thanks!!!!

·
Registered
3,178 Posts
11.5" will be one of the most reliable option. 40% more dwell time than a 10.5". I've had a 10.5" for years and his is the first year I've spent without one. The 11.5" just works better. If you do to 10.5", LMT seems to have it figured out, though they are still finicky compared to other lengths.

For 11.5", I prefer BCM. A KAC urx 3, LaRue, the new urx 4 when it's released, etc. are all good hand guards for it.

I've carried the 10.5" at work for a few years but this year, starting now, is the 11.5". No real difference in maneuverability between the two. I have a 9" 300 blackout that's just awesome in vehicles, but I'd never go that short for 5.56.

What's your duty ammo? If it's gold dot, TSX or similar, you give up nothing with an 11.5" in terms of terminal ballistics for 99% of LE engagements in terms of distance.

Reactions: Bark'n and ccw9mm

·
Registered
959 Posts
+1 for 300 BLK. It achieves a full powder burn in something like 9" I believe? Perfect for a SBR. I got a chance to fire a friends a while back and loved it.

·
Registered
3,275 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Jon: I was just looking at the BCM website--they show an 11" and a 12" ???

·
Registered
3,178 Posts
We're you looking at the complete rifles or uppers? Some reason they refer to the 12.5" rifle as 12, so I guess it's the same for 11.5". If you're buying a complete rifle, then I'd also consider the Colt 6933. BCM is hard to beat for a fighting rifle.

Do you need an upper or rifle?

·
Registered
3,178 Posts

·
Super Moderator
18,247 Posts
I tote a 10.5" on duty. For quick in and out, clearing houses, one handed holds when opening doors, its hard to beat.For the ranges that most cops enounter during shoots, it'll do what it needs to do.

The only disadvantage that I can see is the fact that it shoots a basketball sized fireball that lights up the whole world at night.

One thing about the .300 Blackout. It beats the .223 hands down in penetration and it shoots a heavier bullet which is an advantage when shooting at vehicles. Plus the fact that its the best thing going suppressed makes it pretty popular.

I'm kind of partial to the Daniel Defense or the Noveske.

·
Registered
3,275 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I have an LMT, but was thinking of buying the complete rifle. What about LaRue?

·
Registered
22,908 Posts
I went with a 11.5, and I'm glad I did.

·
Registered
129 Posts
+1 on the 300Blk. I have a 9inch AAC upper riding on a Noveske Gen2 Lower. Mine is built as a pistol, still waiting on the SBR tax stamp.

·
Registered
3,275 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
OK, so just a quick procedural question--on the ATF form 4, you have to list the serial number, etc.

So, how does that work if you order the NFA upper (or entire firearm) from one of the dealers and they are all out of stock/on backorder? Do you have to order it, wait until it is built and then submit the form and wait even longer??

·
Registered
3,178 Posts
OK, so just a quick procedural question--on the ATF form 4, you have to list the serial number, etc.

So, how does that work if you order the NFA upper (or entire firearm) from one of the dealers and they are all out of stock/on backorder? Do you have to order it, wait until it is built and then submit the form and wait even longer??
You mean to SBR your current lower? You don't need an upper to start the paperwork, and you cannot assemble it until the paperwork comes back approved. You'll then have 6 or 7 months to track down the upper you want. You'll also have to have the lower engraved with your info. You do not have to do this when buying a complete rifle or having the lower SBR'd by the manufacturer like I did years ago.

If you SBR a current lower, you'll use a form 1. If you buy a complete SBR, you'll use a form 4 and no engraving will be needed.

So, continue running your lower as is, then when the paperwork comes back, you can just slap the short upper on there, or whatever length upper you want. They do like to be notified though if you said you'd have a 10.5" barrel but then decided on something different. No permission needed, they just like to have their records updated. No extra waiting is involved.

I have a bad head cold, so if I'm not making sense or left anything out, I apologize.

Reactions: HotGuns

·
Registered
3,275 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Thanks Jon-- hope your cold gets better. (and thanks Hot Guns for the PMs last night)--I spent all morning fixing a stupid waterer for my cows--they are now happy, so I'm happy. Then spent the afternoon buying feed (big sigh) too many things and not enough money........

1 - 13 of 13 Posts