Defensive Carry banner

1 - 20 of 71 Posts

·
Registered
1,790 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
New to the forum but impressed with what I've been reading! I've loved weapons since I was knee high to a grasshopper! Spent 21 years in the Air Force, now I serve the Lord as a Pastor but It's a small country church so I work full time in a purchasing position. I'm waiting for a Kahr P9 with blackened slide to come in and it'll be my primary carry for now, but while I've been researching, I started looking at .45's in 1911's. They're just one of the best looking guns I've ever seen! Now the challenge is that I have small hands. I've held a Springfield Armory Micro and simply loved it, but it's $900+. I saw some pictures some of you posted of the SA GI and I absolutely love the way it looks. Now I just don't understand the sizes but I know that smaller frames have a smaller grip (like the SA micro compact) verses the full size. I've held a full size SA 1911 and it was a little big in the grip area. Are the SA GI's full size? I hear everyone talking about commander and officer sizes. I think the officer size is smaller, right? Anyway, it'll mainly be a range gun and maybe I'll carry it occassionaly in the winter, that or it'll be for home defense. Sorry for the long post and rambling but would the SA GI be a good starting place? I think you can get them for just over $400, right? Again, the small grip is important which is why I'm getting the Kahr, so if you know of a gun that has a grip the size of a SA micro or Kimber ultra carry, or you know how the GI comprares, I could sure use some advise!

Thanks everyone!
Gideon

·
1952 - 2006
1,371 Posts
Gideon, welcome to the forum.

As to your question, all 1911 have the same grip size, the smaller guns have a shorter grip frame than the full size ones but the diameter around the grip is the same. You can purchase ultra thin grips which will make the grip smaller in your hand. but other than that with a 1911 you are basically stuck with the size of the frame.

I too have small hands but I have no problems with either of my 1911's.

I hope this answers some of your questions.

·
1952 - 2006
1,371 Posts
I forgot to add gideon that you can have a competent gunsmith install a short trigger. That will also make the grip a little smaller. I have one on both of my 1911's

·
Registered
3,213 Posts
Gideon, sometimes when you're so deep into something you lose a bit of the overall picture. You'll find the 1911 has a rich and deserved following here.

But for me, the 1911 is fascinating from the perspective that it runs completely counter intuitive to how I think a pistol should work, yet so many people prefer it over anything else.

It carries cocked and locked and I don't like that. It separates the ammunition from the firing platform and I don't like that. It fires expensive ammunition. But how can that many military men and LEOs and shooting enthusiasts be wrong?

I say that to give you perspective; if I were to purchase a 1911 it would be to see what the big deal is and to see once and for all if I thought it was truly better or worse than what I've experienced so far. I would not buy a very expensive one regardless of how much I had to spend, but I wouldn't buy the cheapest one either. They can keep those Charles Daly .45s are far as I am concerned, and Phoenix Arms need not apply either.

I have decided if I ever purchase one, I'll get a Springfield Mil-Spec. It doesn't have all the bells and whistles, but it's a good piece at a reasonable price. It's a good enough gun to start an addiction, and I've been informed that if one were to become a serious 1911 enthusiast this gun could be tweaked to a high enough level of performance that would make it useful as a spare or a "user". The GI would be my second choice. Actually, if not for the sights on the thing I think I'd like it more. There's a thread here somewhere that I think Clipse posted that shows some changes you can make to really get it up and running.

As a non-1911 owner who has investigated the possibility, I have been told my interest in even the inexpensive Springfield models is well founded and shows some degree of promise. I don't think it's a bad idea at all to buy the GI and just see if it's your bag or not. I have entertained doing that very thing myself.

I personally like this site a lot:

http://www.m1911.org/m1911dt.htm

It seems written for someone who is not a virgin to firearms but who's not so sure about whether the 1911 might be for them or not. If nothing else, it's a manual of arms I wish I knew better because it's a timeless tool that's never going to go away even if I don't like it.

·
Registered
1,091 Posts
Gideon, I equipped my wife's 1911 with a Gunsite low thumb safety and slim line Aluma grips which made all the diference to her. She absolutely loves this pistol now. This package worked so well for her that I ordered her a custom 1911 in this very same configuration.

~A

·
Premium Member
20,045 Posts
If the grip on a 1911 feel a bit much for you, I would recommend getting some of the new slim grips on the market. My new 1911 has AlumaGrips and it makes a big difference in the grip, as acparmed has said above. The Springfield Armory 1911's are good solid guns. I would shy away from anything with less than a 4" barrel because of some of the problems owners of the short barreled 1911's have had (not me personally). I would also opt for a model with an internal extractor and without the firing pin block. Stay as close to the original design as you can. And, as Euclidean said, stay away from the Charles Daly models.

·
Premium Member
20,045 Posts
And, welcome to the forum, Gideon! We have several preachers here that carry and we are glad now to have another. :wink:

·
Registered
357 Posts
The standard 1911's have a single stack magazine, but there are some high capacity variants out there that use a staggered magazine, which would obviously have a larger grip. The single stack works pretty well for my small hands. So well, in fact, that it seems that the pistol was designed for me.

Standard advice would be to find a range that rents guns and try as many as you can. I did that and found that while I like lots of different pistols and dislike others, I really really really like the 1911.

As far as the sizes, the "government model" is the largest, and is what most people think of when they hear the term "Colt .45." The Commander is the same height, but with a slightly shorter overall length, and the Officers model is shorter in both length and height.

The 1911 forum is off the air at the moment, but it's a pretty good source of info regarding the breed.

Thank you for your past and present service, and welcome to the forum.

SSKC

·
Registered
299 Posts
And to add more confusion, I think it's Springfield Armory that is rumored to be rolling out a slightly smaller version-seems to be regarded as a "7/8ths" model-which might be what you're looking for.

·
Administrator
143,573 Posts
Gideon

WElcome Gideon!
You sure can handle a full size 1911. I would go almost full size if you intend to mostly use it as a range gun.
Sounds to me like your perfect handgun would be:
A Colt Combat Commander fitted with Thin Grips ~ A short trigger ~ & A flat mainspring housing.
Do yourself a huge favor & don't buy anything until you try holding A Combat Commander set up that way. It will feel like a whole new 1911 to you.
If I had it to do all over again...my very first 1911 pattern pistol would have been a Combat Commander.
It actually has a more perfect balance than a full length Government model & is ideal for both range and concealed carry.

·
1952 - 2006
1,371 Posts
QK I agree with you, completely

·
Registered
17,352 Posts
To add one more even though i kind of think what the heck for ... Sprinpfield is offering a 1911 in 45 gap now so it will have a small grip all the way around that the 45 acp might also be something you might be intersted in if you dont mind using a Ego Round

·
Administrator
143,573 Posts
Bud

Oh that's right...we should soon be seeing even more firearms hitting the gun shops chambered for the .45 GAP.
That should bring the front to rear grip size down quite a bit while still keeping a .45 punch.

·
Registered
3,213 Posts
Not to highjack the poor guy's thread, but what do you 1911 afficionados think of that .45 GAP caliber? The gun rags love it, but it seems shooters are less than impressed. I've seen a number of ".45 GAP is NOT .45 ACP!" threads going around.

·
Registered
60 Posts
first 45

Well I agree with Bumper. If I could only have one pistol it would be a 1911. I've carried a1911 for probably 37 years and I am difinitely no giant. Here is my list options:
Nothing shorter than a 4 inch barrel
Slimline stocks from Slimtech or Alumnagrip
If your fingers are short or you have stocky hands use
a short trigger.
Tuned internal extractor
No firing pin safety
Good beavertail
Bevel mag well
Flat mainspring housing
Sharp edges removed
and the most important things:
Good high visible sights (night sights)
A manageable trigger (4 lbs w/ no creep)
100% reliability and
Good quality magazines
Pre series ll Kimbers were good
Springfields are not bad, but unless you get one of the custom pistols they're a little rough. While I like all the retro-look guns in the old days the first thing we did was cutomise it to work better. Well Preacher I've said my piece and I will add a quote from an old Bible thumping friend "If you need to dispatch a bad guy you want to do it righteously". There is a lot of 1911 experience in this forum. I just finished a P.O.S.T. Instructor's certification class and my instructor didn't care for the ancient 1911, however it went through the class without a hitch and thats more than I can say for a broken Beretta and a couple of broken Glocks. My best advice is buy the best you can and practice. Some people are more comfortable with a wheelgun and maybe thats what they should stay with. "If you will do the gun will do." And yes a good quality 1911 will cost you more - whats your life worth!

·
Premium Member
20,045 Posts
Listen to TAPS CCW, he is right on the mark...

·
Registered
1,091 Posts
The model you are referring to is based on this particular 1911 being chambered in the .45 GAP round. I have gotten to play with this pistol a bit, but not fire it.

~A

scratchy wilson said:
And to add more confusion, I think it's Springfield Armory that is rumored to be rolling out a slightly smaller version-seems to be regarded as a "7/8ths" model-which might be what you're looking for.

·
Registered
17,352 Posts
QKShooter said:
Oh that's right...we should soon be seeing even more firearms hitting the gun shops chambered for the .45 GAP.
That should bring the front to rear grip size down quite a bit while still keeping a .45 punch.

According to springfield 1/8 smaller grip :rolleyes:

·
Registered
60 Posts
45 gap

I talked to Louis Awerback about the 45 GAP and I kind of agree. First let me say in the case of combat tupperware I think its a good idea. The 40 S&W is showing that it is really tuff on guns, and the 45s are too big for most people to use comfortably. The jury is still out on this cartridge, but I think it will come around. Bad thing is you can't take that old 45 case and trim it to work. Its completely different. If you have a 1911 design you don't gain anything because you can use the 45 ACP and have 90 trillion cases available for reloading. It will be another proprietory round that you'll have to buy factory ammo for. If police departments pick it up and issue it it'll go. I think it is a great round for smaller statured officers and civilians because of the 45 power and the smaller grip frame. I understand that a lot of departments are getting away from the 40 because of wear and tear on the guns too high on the pressure scale. We are still looking for something to fill the gap (no pun intended).

1 - 20 of 71 Posts