Defensive Carry banner
21 - 40 of 71 Posts

· Banned
Glock M29 or 1911—both in 10mm
8,778 Posts
QK I'm in 100% agreement with you as well.

· Registered
236 Posts
APachon said:
Gideon, I equipped my wife's 1911 with a Gunsite low thumb safety and slim line Aluma grips which made all the diference to her.
Hey Gideon! Second that motion on the Gunsite low thumb saftey. It has made a world of difference with my short stubby thumb to more naturally ride the saftey in the thumbs up/forward position without having to stretch or alter my firing grip.

One other addition I found useful for fitting the 1911 to my hands was an oversize mag release made by Wilson Combat and a few others. The button is oblong or rectangular shape extending back toward the grip to minimize hand movement required to depress the release while making mag changes.

Just my 2 cents worth & change! :tongue:

· Registered
330 Posts
The GI or the Mil-Spec (that has the taller sights) would be a good starting point IMO. Both come with short triggers from the factory and that would probably work for you, plus theyre cheap to boot so if it works for you thats great. The triggers are heavier and have more creep though. Dont rule out the used market, I picked up a series I for $550, the difference in price is probably half what it would cost to have a Mil-Spec or GI model customized to the same condition. But to be fair, I got that Kimber from a friend of mine (most the series ones I've seen in the same and sometimes a little worse shape were around $650).

· Registered
1,866 Posts
Discussion Starter · #24 ·
thanks to all!

I appreciate all of the advise and feeback guys! Good stuff. I think I have to try this but I'm going to sift through your replys a little. In my area of Missouri it's impossible to try weapons, no one has ranges with rentals. There may be a place in St. Louis. I'll have to check. I guess I should try to get something that's a decent platform to begin with that isn't too expesive but one that has potential. A few of you mentioned the SA Mil Spec. I'll definitely check it out. There's one guy on this site who posted pics of his GI that he made grips for. That's one of the best looking weapons I've ever seen! People would think we're crazy but next to my family, my Lord, and my Bible, guns rank at the top of the list! I think I'll have to have a 1911 .45 just once in my life! Thanks again and if you guys think of what would be an ideal "starting In" 1911 that could be customized later but wouldn't be too bad to start out with, then please feel free to sugest it.

Thanks!
Gideon

· Registered
1,866 Posts
Discussion Starter · #25 ·
I Think I've made a decision

I think I've made a decision. I think the SA mil spec would be a good choice. I got to hold a GI and a Mil Spec today. I REALLY liked the look of the GI but the sights are sooo much better on the mil spec! And I know there are some other advantages to the mil spec as well. I've found a dealer who'll order me one for $545.00 which sounds like a fair price. I don't like the black plastic grips but I can add some walnut woods later. In fact, I'd like to ask the gentleman who posted pics of his home made walnut grips if he'd be interested in making some for me :rolleyes: I though his were great on a GI. I'd like the same look. If anyone knows where you can buy some nice dark walnut grips that are plain and don't cost an arm and a leg, please let me know! I think the 5" standard version will be just a good weapon to enjoy.

If you think I'm going astray, please pipe in and I want to thank everyone for their suggestions!

· Premium Member
20,252 Posts
Gideon said:
I think I've made a decision. I think the SA mil spec would be a good choice.
Yup, I think a SA Mil Spec is a good 1911 to start with and a good base from which to start if you get hooked and want someone to work it over for you.... :smexico:

· Registered
3,213 Posts
Gideon said:
I think I've made a decision. I think the SA mil spec would be a good choice. I got to hold a GI and a Mil Spec today. I REALLY liked the look of the GI but the sights are sooo much better on the mil spec!
You echo my sentiments exactly. If the GI model had Mil Spec sights, well okay it wouldn't be accurate to call it a GI model but it would be a much more attractive piece!

You picked exactly what I would have (Well mine would be stainless...).

· Registered
1,866 Posts
Discussion Starter · #30 ·
Now what about holsters and mags?

Well, I ordered it and it'll be here next week. I went out and bought a box of rounds for it. BOY I couldn't believe how big they are! I've already begun looking for
1. Nice looking grips (I want some smooth woods). I've found a few sites that offer some that look nice.
2. An extra Mag or two; do any of you have some recommendations? It only comes with one!
3. A Holster. I don't think I'll ever carry this unless it's winter and i have a big coat so I'm thinking a middle of the road OWB and then a reasonably priced IWB. I thougth about getting a fobus paddle holster for at the range since they're cheap, easy on/off, etc.
4. And cheap practice ammo. I've been hitting the sites to see what I could find. I did find some Winchester white box 100 rounds of 230 FMJ for just shy of $20.00. Is that reasonable?

Thanks for the advise. I'll be sure to post my impression of the SA and the .45 ACP after I get to shoot it in a few weeks. I'm definitely looking forward to it! :biggrin:

· Registered
2,242 Posts
Boy I wish we had a pastor like you.

I too have small hands, carry a Kahr Arms P9 as my main carry gun, but also carry a Springfield 1911 A1 military spec. (Wearing it right now as a matter of fact.) My hand fits it perfectly. Price was in my range too, about $450. May not be the fanciest looking gun on the market but gets the job done and I find it very accurate. They are heavy however. I carry both guns in Tucker Gunleather IWB holsters. By the way, I'm in purchasing too. :smile:

· Registered
1,866 Posts
Discussion Starter · #32 ·
Well hello havegunjoe! Spent 21 years in the Air Force as a purchasing agent/contracting officer. Got out to answer the Lord's call to preach but I'm pastoring a small country church so I'm the purchasing manager for a small company too. Helps keep food on the table.

I can't wait to get my 1911. It'll be the first gun I've ever purchased without any specific reason other than the fact that I just think it's a great weapon. I would have liked a high end SA but alas, the funds just aren't there and I already feel guilty enough! It's a plain gun but I'm going to put some smooth wood grips on it. There was a guy on this site that made his own walnut grips and put them on one and it looked great.

I'll check out those hosters you mentioned, thanks!

· Administrator
50,464 Posts
Gideon

Gideon...You Said:
"Spent 21 years in the Air Force as a purchasing agent/contracting officer. Got out to answer the Lord's call to preach but I'm pastoring a small country church........"
God, Guns, & Guts ~ You're A-OK in my book. :smile:
Heck...with SA you get a solid quality forged & machined slide & frame.
You made a good choice.
Congrats! on your brand new firearm! Enjoy!

· Registered
3,213 Posts
I just realized something quite remarkable...

Did we all just agree we like the Springfield Mil Spec to some degree?

Did I just agree I, the only non-1911 owner/devotee on this forum, a goober so devoted to the round gun, do in fact like a gun with a detachable magazine, an external safety, that facilitates cocked and locked carry?

I noticed it's a full moon tonight.

· Premium Member
20,252 Posts
1. Not too sure about grip recommendations, I will leave that to someone else since I have recently become converted to the slim AlumaGrips.

2. Wilson 47D magazines are the best I have found and the only ones I will trust with my life in a 1911. Use the one that came with it at the range.

3. Lot's of good holsters out there. If you want to carry OWB, I would echo what acparmed told me (and would tell you if he wasn't on walkabout) look at the Andrews Leather Hybrid Saddle holster. It may be a little more than you want to pay, but it will be the last OWB you will ever have to buy. My full sized 1911 honestly disappears on my hip with that holster. It carries high enough to be very concealable and is solid as a rock with a good belt.

4. IMHO you cannot beat Winchester "white box" for the range. I believe just under $20.00 is the standard Wal-Mart price and is very reasonable. :smile:

· Premium Member
20,252 Posts
Euclidean said:
Did we all just agree we like the Springfield Mil Spec to some degree?
Yes, we did. :smile:

Did I just agree I, the only non-1911 owner/devotee on this forum, a goober so devoted to the round gun, do in fact like a gun with a detachable magazine, an external safety, that facilitates cocked and locked carry?
Yes, you did. :smile:

I noticed it's a full moon tonight.
Yes, it is. :smile:

Now that we're all in agreement, when are you going to buy yours. Time's a wastin'....... :wink:

· Premium Member
20,252 Posts
Well, I guess we'll have to wait for your curiosity to get the better of you because my contingeny fund dried up this week. Completely. But I have some good stuff now so it is all worth it. :wink:

· Registered
1,866 Posts
Discussion Starter · #39 ·
And now for the holster dilema!

I appreciate the advise some of you gave on holsters. I'm looking at a Tuckers OWB and and one from Andrews. Once is suede lined, one is not. On one site, I found this quote from Mr. Alessi: Note: "Any smooth vegetable tanned leather, vs. chrome tanned leather would be good for a lining. Suede is definitely not recommended for a lining. It absorbs oil, and then dirt, and powder residue stick to the oil, get embedded into the suede, and act like sandpaper on your guns finish. Most suede is also chrome tanned, which is a process of tanning using chromic acids to soften the leather. All garment leather is chrome tanned for softness, but unless specifically treated to neutralize the chrome salts in the leather, (which most aren't), the chrome tanned leather will eat blueing off a gun in no time." I was wondering if any of you have had any issues with Suede lining? Also, does the modified saddle holster from Anderews hold your weapon securely enought for every day wear? I noticed they have a cut down the front to allow you to draw and present the weapon faster, i.e., you clear leather sooner. The regular saddle version of this OWB has a full holster in front. Any thoughts would be appreciated.

Thanks

Gideon

· Premium Member
20,252 Posts
Gideon said:
Also, does the modified saddle holster from Anderews hold your weapon securely enought for every day wear? I noticed they have a cut down the front to allow you to draw and present the weapon faster, i.e., you clear leather sooner. The regular saddle version of this OWB has a full holster in front. Any thoughts would be appreciated.
Gideon, I would recommend that you call Sam Andrews and talk to him about the tanning of the lining and would be interested in hearing what you find out. I can tell you that the lining is very soft and does not put a spot on my gun. Of course, I haven't had it long, but with the attention to detail in the holster I would be very surprised if Sam did anything less than the ideal.

Also, like you, I was a bit concerned about the design of the Hybrid. That long cut does look like it may make the gun vulnerable in a scufflle. The gun, amazingly isn't prone to any movement when in the holser at least when new. And, there is a tensioning screw at the bottom that allows you to tighten it up as the holster breaks in. Mine is completely loose at this point and the holster holds the gun securely. It is so form fit it almost clicks when you seat it all of the way down into the holster, but draws smoothly and effortlessly. I'm thinking a lot of thought and trial and error went into producing that design. The final design was worth the trouble. Sam is very knowedgeable and one of those guys that are just good to talk to. If the holster doesn't sound like it will be what you are looking for he will probably tell you. :wink:

21 - 40 of 71 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.