Defensive Carry banner

1 - 20 of 36 Posts

·
Registered
423 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I carried for three weeks unchambered. I know, I know. But I was new to a handgun on my hip, and that's a monumental decision. Chambering that first round and walking out the door with it strapped to your side is a MAJOR decision. That said, once you pass that threshold, you'll wonder, like I did, why you didn't do it from day one, from a straight preparedness standpoint. Chamber it.

·
Super Moderator
19,882 Posts
I think if you look back on others with similar reservations, the common positive response was "you need more familiarity with the gun and you'll get used to it." Seems like that's what it took for you.

Go forth and carry chambered henceforth - and may you never lose sight of the Four Rules and the awesome responsibility you now have.

·
Registered
9,339 Posts
You did right. Now your ready and more responsible, just took a bit to build up self confidence.
(What gasmitty said !!!!)

·
Premium Member
1,985 Posts
It is good that you are comfortable with carrying a loaded gun. The real test is how prepared are you to use your gun? You do not come across as a LEO, so think about what additional training you might need. Mindset is critical. Shooting someone, even when justified will be expensive, financially and possibly emotionally. For me, unless I or a family member are in a life or death situation, I will let the police handle a situation. Think about when and where you would actually fire you gun.

Sent from my SM-G920T using Tapatalk

·
Registered
423 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
It is good that you are comfortable with carrying a loaded gun. The real test is how prepared are you to use your gun? You do not come across as a LEO, so think about what additional training you might need. Mindset is critical. Shooting someone, even when justified will be expensive, financially and possibly emotionally. For me, unless I or a family member are in a life or death situation, I will let the police handle a situation. Think about when and where you would actually fire you gun.

Sent from my SM-G920T using Tapatalk
I am prepared in the sense that I will absolutely use it, if forced to, as ONLY a last resort. I am fully aware of my own limitations. But the point is overcoming the obstacle of walking out the door with a chambered weapon. It's not an easy one to get past. Took me two days of doing it to get used to it.

·
Registered
475 Posts
Agree with the posts above. And congrats to the OP. Had a similar experience.

When I first started carrying I went with the revolver. It took me a while to get used to the auto being chambered. I had years of experience shooting, very little of carrying, even less of drawing and firing from the holster.

For me, shooting in an action pistol league was a great experience that helped me with my reservations.

·
Banned
3,890 Posts
I carried for three weeks unchambered. I know, I know. But I was new to a handgun on my hip, and that's a monumental decision. Chambering that first round and walking out the door with it strapped to your side is a MAJOR decision. That said, once you pass that threshold, you'll wonder, like I did, why you didn't do it from day one, from a straight preparedness standpoint. Chamber it.
My edc is a revolver....always loaded. But I am glad that you consider the seriousness of carrying a loaded firearm and have given it serious thought. Good for you.

·
Registered
423 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
My edc is a revolver....always loaded. But I am glad that you consider the seriousness of carrying a loaded firearm and have given it serious thought. Good for you.
Mine is striker fired. No external safety...only internal and trigger safeties. It's not any of those that are the issue. It's adjusting, internally, to what I had just decided to do. Point being, that after carrying this way, I have no idea why I waited three weeks to do it.

·
Registered
289 Posts
Congrats at making the leap. Soon, you'll wonder why it took so long. I was the same way. Tonight I took my son to an outdoor rodeo event. I had to disarm to go into the arena. Talk about a strange, helpless feeling. First time for me to be without a firearm since I started carrying. It felt about the same as my first trip out with a chambered round. Stay safe

·
Registered
423 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
It's definitely a decision that you FEEL when you make. I am 100% comfortable chambered now,,but it took two days of carrying that way to get to that point.

·
Registered
1,425 Posts
I carried chambered from day 1, but my first gun had a manual safety. The safety was always engaged for the first few weeks, today when I carry that gun the safety is always off.

·
Registered
2,304 Posts
Mine is striker fired. No external safety...only internal and trigger safeties. It's not any of those that are the issue.
So is my primary carry gun. I'll admit that it took a little while to get used to the idea, and it was a little intimidating at first.

·
Registered
10,703 Posts
I rememeber when I was first training with firearms 7 years ago. Just putting a loaded pistol in the holster at the range for training was a big deal.

·
Registered
1,637 Posts
Good for you. Now, follow all the rules, act responsibly, and may you NEVER have to use it.

Reactions: Pijo73

·
Registered
12,686 Posts
I truly hope I only ever fire this weapon at the range.
That puts you in a pretty big club around here (except I enjoy shootin' most of mine in the wilderness as well). Welcome to a rare state of (almost)...universal agreement. :biggrin2:

1 - 20 of 36 Posts