Defensive Carry banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
565 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
What kind of protective finishes are available? In particular I have a blued 38 and a blued 1911 that I would carry more but I don't because I want to protect the finish.
I sweat a lot and I ride a bicycle. It would be nice to carry my 38 instead of having to go out and buy a stainless steel version.
What's out there?

·
Administrator
144,131 Posts
You could also have one (or the other) done in Electroless Nickel.
Not cheap but, less expensive than a new firearm.

Any future handguns that you plan on purchasing....opt for Stainless Steel. :yup:

·
Super Moderator
22,267 Posts
What kind of protective finishes are available? In particular I have a blued 38 and a blued 1911 that I would carry more but I don't because I want to protect the finish.
I sweat a lot and I ride a bicycle. It would be nice to carry my 38 instead of having to go out and buy a stainless steel version.
What's out there?
A good place to begin; https://robarguns.com/custom-firearm-finishes/

·
Registered
565 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks for the replies. That electroless nickel sounds expensive. I wonder how much it would cost to do a snubbie? Ever heard of using Turtle Wax?

·
Registered
80 Posts
What's out there?
If your concern is protecting the finish, do not ever carry the firearm anywhere. A humidity controlled, stable and secure environment is what you want. Buy a gun that the finish isn't an issue for you as a carry gun.

Jeff

Sent from my XT1254 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
565 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
If your concern is protecting the finish, do not ever carry the firearm anywhere. A humidity controlled, stable and secure environment is what you want. Buy a gun that the finish isn't an issue for you as a carry gun.

Jeff

Sent from my XT1254 using Tapatalk
Like I said, I ride a bike. After some of my rides my gun will be wet from sweat. That's what I'm dealing with.
I've owned these guns for decades and I've only recently obtained my cc permit.
Capeshe?

·
Premium Member
8,119 Posts
I wouldn't use car wax on a good firearm - or a cheap one either. Try the Renaissance wax which is made for fine and antique finishes, both wood and metal. However, if you get that sweaty it might be best to leave those blued guns for "dry times" and carry a stainless steel or A Glock (gasp) because the moisture could get into parts of the revolvers that you can't see and cause rust problems.

I have one blued revolver and it has some marring. I use Frog Lube to clean and protect it and it looks better than when I purchased it used, but I do want to keep it as nice as possible. It is also not a carry gun for me.

Reactions: OldVet
1 - 9 of 9 Posts