Defensive Carry banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Banned
1,418 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
What is the general consensus on the various aftermarket Glock magazines out there? I like to stick with OEM parts usually and always will for carry, but given the supply issues these days I'm open to using aftermarket mags for range use. I have heard mixed things about various ones out there but not much of an overall consensus on the best options.

KCI?

ProMag?

Khan?

Others?

·
Registered
1,416 Posts
i bought a few KCI from CDNN. Consistently failed to feed / jam. Since then I've stuck with Glock factory mags - no problems with them at all.

·
Registered
7,992 Posts
Before the meltdown I consistently found LEO trade in GLOCK mags at my LGS, picking through the bag I found many that were from the Clinton era magazine limit "LEO Only" marked mags that had never been used. I was buying them for $10 per mag. I would recommend just waiting for a little while and getting GLOCK mags when they become available.

·
Registered
2,569 Posts
If you have magazines now, I would wait for factory magazines. They are starting to become more readily available.

·
Premium Member
39,200 Posts
Factory mags are all I use.

Reactions: paullie

·
Registered
287 Posts
Some things you don't skimp on. Use OEM mags only and have a little peace of mind it will work if the moment ever arrives.

·
Registered
313 Posts
CDNN has Glock OEM at 29.99 for many models. I have used the KCI 33 round in a side by side comparison with the Glock. The Glock is a better mag, however for the range, the KCI was fine. I would never carry anything but the Glock mags.

·
Registered
75 Posts
I have KCI Glock 17 mags. I replaced the stock springs they came with with Wolff Springs. Haven't had a FTF with them at all & you still can come out cheaper than factory mags;( I bought ten of them for $100.00 from Military Gun Supply.) I'm not saying use them for carry mags, but would work well for range mags.

·
Registered
669 Posts
My brother (the glock snob of the family) ordered those some of those Korean surplus mags from CDNN, he says they are flawless.

·
Premium Member
24,511 Posts
When it comes to non OEM magazines there are very limited makers I trust. For. my 1911 either Wilson or McCormick. For all other handguns Mec-Gar, of course Mec-Gar are OEM for many brands of guns.

As others have suggested, check your LGS where the police trade their weapons in for used magazines, or check the gun shows in your area, they normally have used ones as well.

Reactions: ca survivor

·
Registered
1,592 Posts
Glock mags are definitely back available if you just look around a little. Even slightly over priced, how can you skimp and get something that will "probably" work just fine? Not worth it, just stick with factory mags.

Just about a month ago, budsgunshop had used G23 mags, 3 for 79.99. Ordered em, they were in great shape and have worked flawlessly. In fact, might be going back to see if more are available still.

·
Banned
716 Posts
I use them for training/range mags and save the factory mags for carry.

FYI, the KCI/Khan mags have been very reliable for me. But, then again, what do I know? I shoot hundreds of rounds of steel case ammo without issue as well.

I guess I'm an internet anomaly?

·
Registered
1,592 Posts
I use them for training/range mags and save the factory mags for carry.

FYI, the KCI/Khan mags have been very reliable for me. But, then again, what do I know? I shoot hundreds of rounds of steel case ammo without issue as well.

I guess I'm an internet anomaly?
Not being sarcastic or anything, the off brands, are the pretty reliable or pretty much flawless? I have began to do more training (first IDPA yesterday, and finally will have a range that I can do REAL drills and practice on) so I have quickly found out that mags get dropped a good bit, I could see it being a good idea to use different mags for training and only certain ones for carry. But I would really want them to just work flawless, or else it wouldn't be worth it. In all reality, I'll just still buy more factory and have dedicated carry mags. But I can see your point.

·
Banned
716 Posts
The off brand are not as reliable as factory. That's the whole idea behind using them for training, IMO.

I have never had a mag related malfunction with Glock factory. I occasionally have them with the aftermarket, but not really a whole lot. But often enough to throw a surprise in my training routine that I just don't get with factory mags unless I have someone set up the failure.

They have performed very well with FMJ, but no so much with HP rounds in my experience.

So, if you are doing IDPA to 'win', then use factory mags for the advantage and rock on. If you look at it as another training arena, then use the aftermarket.

·
Registered
1,416 Posts
CDNN has Glock OEM at 29.99 for many models. I have used the KCI 33 round in a side by side comparison with the Glock. The Glock is a better mag, however for the range, the KCI was fine. I would never carry anything but the Glock mags.
I just purchased a few factory Glock Gen4 mags from Midway USA for $24.99each (and shipping was under $5, half of what CDNN charges as their standard shipping fee). Midway has been pretty good about prices, but you need to check back on a regular basis for availability (or sign-up for the "Notify me" option on their website) as they tend to sell out in a day or two after receiving stock. Prices are generally stable, but I have seen them go up or down a few dollars on a shipment-by-shipment basis (I assume they are passing along both cost and savings).

Personally, I now like Midway much better than CDNN. In the past CDNN was fine, but over the past 5 months their customer service has really gone downhill. Nothing has changed at Midway, and you get the right thing shipped really quick.

·
Premium Member
7,276 Posts
Like others have said, I wouldn't trust aftermarket Glock magazines, and since the OEM mags are fairly inexpensive, in the grand scheme of things, I don't really see much reason to even consider them.

If you really need magazines, then I guess you gotta do what you gotta do, but I would rather watch and wait for some factory magazines than waste money on some knockoffs. Factory Glock mags can be found, so just keep your eyes open and checking multiple websites and you'll find them eventually. I've seen a number of places selling 17 and 19 magazines at normal pricing, so they are out there.

·
Registered
467 Posts
I have tried MEC-GAR mags. and they seem to be as good if not better than oem mags., always preferred factory mags but after finding mec-gar mags.
I can't say that anymore.

·
Registered
618 Posts
The korean Hi Cap mags have performed very reliably in my Sub 2000 Glock grip .40 S&W. They are a little tight so don't drop free without sanding, but perform well. I have about 10-15 of them. I tried some Scherer mags, and they were awful

·
Premium Member
4,459 Posts
I picked up an aftermarket magazine at a gun show. I don't remember which as I through it away while at front sight training. Gave me headaches and the onsight gunsmith took one look at it and said, "I can solve your problem. Throw this thing away". So I did. Replaced it with glock factory and have not had a problem since.

1 - 20 of 29 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.