Votes: 73 24.7%
  • 61 and up

Votes: 21 7.1%
1 - 20 of 83 Posts

·
Registered
275 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I know I'm gonna take some slack for this one.....but being on the low end of the CCW age totem pole, I wanted to see the age distribution among avid pistol carriers. I know only a handful of youngsters my age carrying concealed and have always wondered about it. There are many things to remember here - times are different now than they used to be as far as gun rights, media representation of firearms, and public opinion. I would like to see if any of this effects the desire to carry. So a few rules to my poll....

1] This is not an age war....there will be no "Well I'm older/younger than you and I have superior training/more right/better understanding BLAH BLAH BLAH! I simply want to know your age group and your idea's on if different age groups carry more often than others.

2] If you feel uncomforable selecting your age group, then fine. I don't really care. Simply decided not to participate in the poll. I really don't want to hear about it....

3] Ladies....PLEASE oh PLEASE do not berate me for making you put yourself in an age bracket. I'm terribly sorry and know that I would NEVER ask a lady her age! :wink:

4] Be honest. I know that this simple research is not the best and there is definatly room for error but I think it's within acceptance ranges.

If any of these are grossly violated, I'll ask the mod's to promptly shut this bad boy down and I'll gather my research elsewhere. Now I think that pretty much covers everything, let the voting begin.

·
Registered
427 Posts
One of the things in this world that you can't argue with is the calendar. Accept what it says and move on. I'm 58 and have been carrying since I bought my first handgun, a new Browning Hi Power, in 1968. I still regret ever selling that one...

·
Registered
17,352 Posts
This one has been asked Before so there should be no problem with anyone responded

Theres a lot of new members now so should get a wide range ... ya should have split off 21-25 then 26-30 but no biggy

I turned 30 this year in Nov

·
Registered
5,134 Posts
well d2thomas i am a fossel but if if it helps my daughter got her ccw from me this year for her 21st birthday present LOL

·
Super Moderator
19,008 Posts
almost 34 .

·
Premium Member
25,483 Posts
"Ol' Phart" status - at 60!!

Carried since I could which for me meant as soon as I originally had my first green card. Three years ago. Now a US citizen and been here over 5 years total.

UK had no carry provisions but <cough, ahem> ................. - !!

I always felt even going back a long ways in UK that every sane and responsible person had a right to self defence which for me included the access to a firearm. Now I am a lot older I am even more keen to take this up as physically I am not in such good shape for many other means of protection.

My son is coming up 29 and has I am glad to say just gone the CCW route - later than I had hoped but this was of his own volition without much prodding from me. I was at least able to ''train him up''.

Had I been here all my life I would been carrying all that time - be assured!!

·
Registered
1,275 Posts
Kompact9 said:
One of the things in this world that you can't argue with is the calendar. Accept what it says and move on. I'm 58 and have been carrying since I bought my first handgun, a new Browning Hi Power, in 1968. I still regret ever selling that one...
..I guess at 32, I am on the younger side so far in the poll. But one thing I am going to recognize is the amount of times I have heard that quote from older gun owners. "i still regret selling...." I have vowed not to ever sell a gun I have bought. I think of them as "men china" heirlooms in the making so to speak for my kids. Like a thread I read earlier about "dad's P85". that brought a tear to my ear. AHHH men china, I love them all.

·
1952 - 2006
1,371 Posts
I'm 53 and have been carrying since my 20's. If you don't count the military in which case I've been carrying since I was 19 starting in that wonderful vacation hamlet called Southeast Asia.

·
Registered
3 Posts
You are only as old as you feel.... I have been licensed and have carried a concealed weapon since I was 21 and I am now 44 (I will let you do the math)
I plan on entering the pearly gates carrying a concealed firearm!!!

·
Registered
427 Posts
Doc,

Men China...gotta love it. Now I have an explanation for collecting "heirlooms".

Fred

·
Premium Member
25,483 Posts
Hey Chris when you started carrying CCW were you carrying a Flintlock set of Pistols in shoulder Holsters
Hey steady young varmint - (or as we might have said in UK - ''Whippersnapper" ) LOL!

Flinter's - hell no - percussion cap, naturally. :hand25: :lol:

Matter of fact the first gun I <cough> did ever carry was a crummy Enfield in .38S&W. I kept a near equally crummy Charter Pathfinder under my pillow too. Later on tho I used to keep my M27 in a sho rig - I have often wondered what the folks in my lil' ol' home town ("village") would have thought had they known!

Flinlocks - sheesh - <mutter, mutter> - :biggrin:

·
Registered
216 Posts
Another 32 here. Always been interested in carrying, but have lived in very a restricitve state for most of my "legal" years. That has recently been rectified, and am planning to carry from here out.

·
Registered
814 Posts
36 here. Been carrying since I got here in '91. Became legal in '96 when TX passed the CHL law.

·
Registered
6,011 Posts
It's not the YEARS...

As my HERO, Indiana Jones once said: It's not the years....it's the mileage....

I'm 48. Been carrying since I was a 21 year old junior at the University of Alabama in Tuscaloosa. There has not been a single full year in all those that followed that I have not at some time had a lawful CCW permit in some state. All I can say today is THANK GOD FOR RECIPROCITY!

·
Premium Member
25,483 Posts
since I got here in '91.
Where from originally Steve?

BTW - hope you have ''the goods'' soon.

·
Registered
737 Posts
I'm 22 and just got my permit this summer. I was active duty military and stationed in GA when I turned 21, it just seemed pointless to get a permit there when I couldn't carry on base and rarely ventured off of it. I got my PA permit about a week after coming home. :biggrin: So now I'm closing on about four months of legal carry. It's been a learning experience, and a rewarding one. Now I just need to go get some training.

·
Registered
394 Posts
My "Papers" put me at 58, but I think I'm 24.----- Its just been a real rough 24.:yell:

·
Super Moderator
25,558 Posts
Being an old far... Oops, (Can I say that?), anyhow, unlike Chris, I'll admit to carrying flint! :biggrin:

Matter of fact a picture of my main long arm is in the photos section and it is a "rock gun"!:wink:

1 - 20 of 83 Posts