Defensive Carry banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am 19. I know it is legal for me to get my concealed carry permit in Indiana. Is it legal for me to carry one of my dad's handguns with this permit?

·
Banned
160 Posts
If it's legal for you to have a gun it doesn't matter whom it belongs to.

·
Premium Member
24,508 Posts
I am 19. I know it is legal for me to get my concealed carry permit in Indiana. Is it legal for me to carry one of my dad's handguns with this permit?
If 19 is the legal age for a permit, then it should be legal to carry a gun, provided whoever the gun belongs to has given you permission.

BTW, welcome to the forum from Virginia.

·
Registered
1,954 Posts
I'm not sure about Indiana, but here in Michigan I can carry any handgun that is registered here in MI.
Check your state firearms laws just to be sure.

·
Registered
80 Posts
Why don't you email the Indiana attorney general to check. It may be worth getting you dad to write a letter stating that you have permission to be in possession of his gun in case you are ever stopped.

·
Registered
6 Posts
If you can receive your LTCH, then you can legally carry any handgun that is "legal" for you to have in your possession ie....if the owner gives you permission to carry said weapon. You can read most of the law concerning your license at Handgunlaw.us.

·
Premium Member
2,355 Posts
Federal law prevents a dealer from selling a handgun or cosmetically impaired rifle to anyone under 18. Some states say 21. IN allows 18 yr olds on up to own and carry with an "unlimited license" any handgun lawfully possessed. Check with your police department to see if guns have to be registered. If so, you'll probably need some kind of written permission to carry someone else's gun. If not, you may only need their verbal permission. I'm not a lawyer (IANAL) and you have to verify all this yourself.

·
Registered
848 Posts
I assisted all of my kids with obtaining their Indiana lifetime LTCH as soon as they turned 18... I still have one at home under 18. Once they each received their LTCH, I helped them in the purchase their first handgun. In Indiana, they were able to carry a handgun with a LTCH, but they could not purchase one or the ammunition on their own.

Each of my kids have grown up around firearms of all kinds and have a comfort level with guns that only familiarity can bring. My oldest son is 25 and has a larger gun collection than I do. My 20 year old son is an MP in the Marines and already has a nice personal collection beginning (He shoots expert in both pistols and rifles. Any Marine will tell you that is pretty darn good.). My 18 year old daughter has a single handgun and feels that it is all she will need. (If you saw her shoot, you would agree.) My youngest daughter is almost 6 years old and received her first Crickett .22 rifle when she turned 5.

To answer your question... As long as you have your LTCH, you can possess a handgun given to you buy a parent or legal guardian. Some will tell you that a FTF purchase of a firearm is also fine, but I would not recommend it for you or the seller.

·
Premium Member
2,355 Posts
Yes 21, some states allow ownership at 18. Is my Ahlz showing? Thanks NavyLT.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts