Defensive Carry banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My EDC handgun is a Commander sized 1911 but lately I've been thinking about a smaller pocket type revolver that I can stick in my back pocket while walking the dog, taking out the trash and answering a late night knock at the front door etc... I'm familiar with the S+W 642 but was wondering if Smith+Wesson has updated it or there may be something new I'm not aware of? Thanks in advance.

·
Registered
10,864 Posts
The 642, and its sister, the blued/black version are hammerless, while the 637 has a hammer.
I have a 442 and a 637, and mom has a 642.

There is one that has a recessed(kind of bobbed) hammer, but I'm unsure of the model #; my brother has that.

·
Registered
114 Posts
I have had a 638 for years it has the bobbed hammer and can be cocked single action. but would get a 642 now because it's easier to keep pocket lint out of it and this type gun doesn't need sigle action IMHO.

·
Banned
2,289 Posts
As a 40 year snub nose shooter I will say that the 642 is the quintessential snubbie. However in the last two years I have grown very fond of the Ruger LCR's. shoot one and feel the difference in the trigger and weight. I personally carry the S&W 340PD which is so light, even loaded, that most who hold it ask if it is real. The cost is substantial though. The .38 spl LCR is only 2 ounces heavier and what I carried before I got the 340PD.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

·
Registered
3,338 Posts
642 is my pocket gun of choice, handles plus p like dream with a good action job I can empty it in a paper plate at 15 feet in a blink of a eye image.jpg

·
Registered
2,919 Posts
S&W 360. Lightweight, has a hammer (which I prefer), shoots .357, and is relatively inexpensive.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Excellent, thanks for all of the great info! I think I know what I want for Father's Day...

·
Registered
3,100 Posts
642 or 442 in the j frame, or the LCR in the Ruger. I switched to the LCR from the 442. I have the xs sights on the LCR and it's fantastic.
I did the same because I like 357 better so I got the LCR357 but, I still like the 442 so I use it for a third gun sometimes.

·
Registered
3,302 Posts
Everybody needs one of these...

The S&W 642 (or 442) is a very versatile gun and easy to carry and conceal. Here is mine with a DeSantis pocket holster.

·
Registered
63 Posts
I've had a 442 since 1993 and it's been carried a lot. With the right pants and holster, it's a great pocket carry (I use the Mika). I've been looking for a new one as mine is not +P rated and I'd like to retire it. With all the chatter about the LCR I went and looked at one. I absolutely hated it. Ugly, didn't care for the cam trigger, and didn't feel the ergos were as good as the 642/442.

The search for another non-IL 442 continues.

·
Registered
58 Posts
I have a S&W model 36 in great condition. Love it.... But the Ruger LCR is my gun of choice when I choose a more modern revolver. Just like the grip and the trigger. Still carry the 36 from time to time. Now that gun just feels like a gun is supposed to. But, I am old......

1 - 19 of 19 Posts