Defensive Carry banner

1 - 20 of 45 Posts

·
Registered
1,691 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Someone in baggage is sporting an almost new Emerson Commander. My favorite blade. I declared a firearm in the same bag with no problem. Weasels.

·
Registered
1,828 Posts
Terrible.

I hate flying cattle cars and don't like to go unarmed, but I do fly rarely to Hawaii to visit my son. When I do, I leave the Emersons at home; I either pack a Spyderco or just borrow a knife from my son to carry while on the island. We know they like to mess with knives---once my son found his folder locked open inside his suitcase when he unpacked after a flight.

·
Registered
1,691 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Can you narrow it down to one airline?

They deserve some free publicity.
Yeah, but I'm waiting to see if they will cover it... :rofl:

·
Registered
2,095 Posts
Terrible.

I hate flying cattle cars and don't like to go unarmed, but I do fly rarely to Hawaii to visit my son. When I do, I leave the Emersons at home; I either pack a Spyderco or just borrow a knife from my son to carry while on the island. We know they like to mess with knives---once my son found his folder locked open inside his suitcase when he unpacked after a flight.
+1. I would not fly with anything nicer than a mid-level Spyderco.

·
Super Moderator
50,603 Posts
Don't the airlines have cameras on those loading docks?
Someone had to rummage through the bags to find that...:rolleyes:

·
Registered
1,691 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Don't the airlines have cameras on those loading docks?
Someone had to rummage through the bags to find that...:rolleyes:
That's a good point, Ret. I sent a snail mail letter. No email for customer service, just an address and an 800#. Did not want to talk to someone overseas with a heavy accent. We shall see.

Thanks for the wisdom on not packing a good blade. Too soon old...
I loved that knife, a real workhorse with a whipsaw spring.

·
Banned
265 Posts

·
Registered
1,691 Posts
Discussion Starter #9

·
Registered
4,469 Posts
I'd also file an official complaint with TSA.

After all it's not a camera, it's a weapon capable of bringing down an airliner if in the wrong hands. :rofl:

Reactions: Guest1

·
Registered
568 Posts
Roses are red,
violets are blue,
I had a good knife,
till you stole it. :twak:

Good?
I love it!:yup:

I'd suggest, in addition to avoiding flying with an expensive blade, maybe mail a FRN Delica or Endura (depending on legalities) to your destination a week or two prior to departure. If your checked blade is stolen, you'll have one waiting for you.

·
Registered
1,067 Posts
I fly all the time with my EDC knives and a pistol (declared) in my checked bags. Where was the orange tag identifying your unloaded pistol? In the bag or in your lock box?- George

·
Registered
1,691 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
I fly all the time with my EDC knives and a pistol (declared) in my checked bags. Where was the orange tag identifying your unloaded pistol? In the bag or in your lock box?- George
Lockbox.

·
Registered
1,644 Posts
I would call the TSA and/or FBI. It was a weapon stolen out of your bag. Most likely by an airline employee or TSA employee within the secure area.

Your incident might not be enough to solve the problem, but it could be a piece of the puzzle.

Reactions: bigmacque

·
Registered
225 Posts
First, you filed the complaint with your airline, which is Step 1. I'd then file a stolen item report with your local or airport PD. Get a report/case number from them.

TSA has no jurisdictional authority in your stolen item. The secured area in baggage may or may not have CCTVs. In the larger airports these days (I can speak for LAS), they have CCTV and your baggage tag is RFID'd. Makes this kind of thing a whole lot easier.

No CCTV will mean airlines vs. TSA as to who stole what. You may get reimbursement from the airline, but they'll probably say it's TSA's fault. Your airport PD can tell you if this theft is unusual or fairly commonplace.

Try to get reimbursement. Check your homeowner's insurance to see if they might cover you.

Good advice about keeping the good stuff at home. Love Emerson's!
Good luck!

·
Registered
52 Posts
I always pack a Vtech folder it is a good knife but if stolen I am out about $20.00.

·
Registered
12,686 Posts
I hope the thief isn't familiar with the fine hone on a high-quality knife...and they lose a digit!

·
Registered
1,691 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Just a little follow up. Never got compensated. "Too bad, so sad...". My wife was coming past baggage claim recently (Tucson) and overheard a man say to his wife in disgust, "Somebody stole my knife out of my suitcase." Why, I'm shocked!

·
Registered
357 Posts
I worked for Delta from 2000-2003 in reservations. Once a year, the airport needed volunteers from our department to help with baggage during a seasonal rush that saw traffic quadruple. I always wondered what magic happened behind the wall where the baggage disappeared. I was shocked. On the other side of the wall in the "secure area", the baggage piled up on a small counter as me and two other people carried them to a cart attached to the tug. No cameras, no supervisors, no nothing and from there it went on the plane to continue its route. That means at any point of contact, something could be taken quite easily and it would be next to impossible to pinpoint when it was taken. The easiest would be by the plane loaders as they are alone underneath with the luggage. I don't know what its like now with all the TSA BS, but I can't imagine its much better. Don't put anything you care about in checked baggage. The only reason the guns are relatively safe is the penalties and investigations that would arise from their theft.

·
Registered
589 Posts
Just a little follow up. Never got compensated. "Too bad, so sad...". My wife was coming past baggage claim recently (Tucson) and overheard a man say to his wife in disgust, "Somebody stole my knife out of my suitcase." Why, I'm shocked!
Thanks for the update, and that sucks.

Reading all this is making me uneasy about my planned trip coming up where I'm required to fly, and I'm planning on declaring a firearm as when I land I'll be somewhere out of your normal 911 coverage and my permit will be valid so making sure I have it will be imparative.:krank2:

1 - 20 of 45 Posts