Defensive Carry banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey, guys. New to the forum. I have a Springfield 1911A1 full size model i recently started carrying. Im a smaller guy, 5'10", 165 lbs. I typically carry around the 4:30 or 5 o clock with my Glock 19 but I wanted to mix it up a bit. Anybody CCW a 1911 appendix style? I was considering T-REX Arms' sidecar rig.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
606 Posts
Start by getting a purpose built appendix holster. Jm custom kydex, dark star gear, and keepers concealment are the gold standard of appendix holsters along with a few others. What they offer is the ability to work for multiple body styles because they have a grip tuck/wedge feature.

The trex arms sidecar is an Instagram holster, not an everyday conceal carry holster. I have had one. It looked like I was carrying a phone book in my pants. There are some people who can carry it, but why risk it. There's a no return policy. It's built it's reputation on Instagram. I would rather have a holster that built its reputation through its reputation from users like the ones I mentioned above.

·
Banned
3,342 Posts
Welcome to the forum. I'm not so sure I get your idea of 'mixing it up a little'. You really want to carry the same way to keep your moves instinctive.

Different story if you want to completely convert over to AIWB. Just be aware of this.

·
Registered
5,171 Posts
I tried a 5 inch (full size) 1911 appendix IWB and the barrel was just too long.
Got a "Commander" size 4.25 inch Ruger CMD and it works for me appendix IWB (pictured), it also works strong side IWB.
I carried Glocks appendix IWB for years, transition back to strong side IWB began with Ruger; 1911 is more comfortable for me strong side.
Concealing1.jpg
Concealing2.jpg

·
Registered
9 Posts
I'm a LH shooter, I carry at the 8:30 to 9:00 o'clock position using a blade tech IWB holster. I just ordered an AIWB 3 rig for my carry holster. Looking forward to it arriving. Switching for increased comfort and less printing.

Good luck with your search, Don

Reactions: OD*

·
Registered
9 Posts
I'm a LH shooter, I carry at the 8:30 to 9:00 o'clock position using a blade tech IWB holster. I just ordered an AIWB 3 rig for my carry holster. Looking forward to it arriving. Switching for increased comfort and less printing.

Good luck with your search, Don
About a month later report. I have been using the IWB rig for about 3 weeks, I is a keeper. My 1911 Officer Compact tucks away at my 8 o'clock (I am left handed) and it is very comfortable and no printing. Quit frankly, most of my "carry" time is seated in my car driving to and from work. This week I did do a lot of Christmas shopping. At no time did I feel like I was printing or "telling" that I was armed. The pistol just rides along very comfortably.
The "draw" is very clean, no snagging. the re-holstering does take a little getting used to, but once you develop the correct muscle memory it is a piece of cake. I think my issue is because I choose not to use the 9 o'clock point of the hip carry position.
Alien Gear has a 30 day no questions asked return policy - I won't be taking advantage of the return policy.
I would recommend this holster to a friend or family member.
VR, Don

·
Premium Member
8,416 Posts
I checked out the sidecar. Carrying a Government 1911 with an extra mag appendix style seems like a tall order. If you can do it comfortably, more power to ya. Seems like if you sit down the butt of the gun would be above your rib cage, probably nipple height...

Reactions: Bad Bob

·
Premium Member
7,276 Posts
I wouldn't want to carry my mag there regardless.

·
Banned
240 Posts
Hey, guys. New to the forum. I have a Springfield 1911A1 full size model i recently started carrying. Im a smaller guy, 5'10", 165 lbs. I typically carry around the 4:30 or 5 o clock with my Glock 19 but I wanted to mix it up a bit. Anybody CCW a 1911 appendix style? I was considering T-REX Arms' sidecar rig.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
I do occasionally but I do so with a Bravo Concealment holster at 3 oclock OWB. it blends in so well no one seems to ever sees it. This is my experience in restaurants serving or dispencing alchol where by law I am required to OC in Montana.

·
Registered
200 Posts
I couldn't imagine being able to aiwb one without looking like a creep down there. Barrel would poke out and an aiwb holster wedge would worsen the situation. I appendix carry my p99c and that goes pokes out a little spending on what kind of pants I'm wearing.

·
Registered
14,266 Posts
I do not carry a 1911 AIWB. I prefer strong side hip or a shoulder holster. I really, really, really dislike holsters with a mag pouch attached. It makes no sense.

·
Registered
6,716 Posts
Can't carry AIWB. Can't imagine carrying a full size 1911 that way.

·
Registered
1,637 Posts
I for one cant IWB a 1911...so damn uncomfortable. So I always OWB.

·
Registered
1,789 Posts
I'm 5'8" and tried to carry a 5" 1911 AIWB, but couldn't because the barrel jabbed me in the groin when I sat down.

So, I bought a Para Expert Commander, and carry it AIWB frequently. It was my primary CCW for about a year until I recently bought a P229. The holster I use for the Para is a ancient nylon holster I've had for 20 years. I have been thinking I'd like to replace it, but have tried a few different holsters and haven't found one I like. I've been thinking I might have a leather guy copy the nylon holster but make a couple of minor mods so it's perfect.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts