Defensive Carry banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Good afternoon,
I had a quick question for Appendix carry options. What is typically thought to be the better choice for carrying a spare magazine. is it better to buy a combined holster that sports the firearm & spare mag, or a seperate holster for each? I am leaning toward combined due to the fact (my assumed opinion) that the combined will be a little more stable in keeping my firearm exactly where I put it. However I do realise a seperate holster for the mag opens up slightly more flexible options for carrying.

·
Registered
9,337 Posts
I have done both. I prefer the magazines at about 9:00

G19 & Spare magazine in a 3Speed Holster

G17 in a Kydex AIWB Holster (Mags on weak side)

Reactions: matthew03

·
Registered
1,006 Posts
Prefer separate and on weak side. Conceals better and reloads are quicker from there for me.

Even if you get separate, you can still carry them up front. And then aspire to be as quick as MrWhite/OrigamiAK.

·
Registered
1,789 Posts
I experimented with a holster with attached magazine sleeve, and I found it significantly slowed down my reloads.

That said, it is pretty convenient. If you trained with it a lot, it might work.

·
Registered
17 Posts
I'm 5'6", 210lbs. My g19 disappears with 'the makers innovation' selective minimalist holster.

I could see the benefits of having a separate spare mag pouch, as this holster is fully weighted over 12/12:30.

·
Registered
1,307 Posts
I think I would lean toward the separate mag pouch on the weak side. Having a combined pistol and mag pouch seems like it would be a bit awkward to reach during a reload.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Fall asleep for a few hours and come back to some excellent suggestions. I am now leaning toward separate after reading a bit more and busting the stability idea I had. and quality recomendations for a holster with a sturdy "Raven claw" addition?

Thanks once again for any and all comments!

·
Registered
1,488 Posts
I carry separate and prefer the mag more on the weak side as others suggest, it gives more options.

As far as holster recommendations, imho, you can't get any better for AIWB than Appalachian Concealment by Matthew03 who says he will be up and taking orders again soon. His do not have the claw but with the built in wedge I do not feel you need it. I also have a Custom Carry Concepts Shaggy AIWB holster which I feel is very good, again no claw. He has an extended plate on the Gestalt that acts similar to the claw. If you are certain you want the claw, I would go with JM Custom Kydex Wing Claw AIWB holster.

·
Registered
606 Posts
I've tried both and for me separate was significantly better.

I see no advantage to having it combined. It printed worse for me. Having them separately allows you to adjust it to YOUR body.

·
Registered
428 Posts
I too am in the separate camp. With the holster and mag pouch in the same proximity it just seems like it would be too busy. Would like to keep holster and mag pouch separate.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts