Defensive Carry banner

1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
179 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
All right everybody, I need help looking for an AIWB. HAS to be either a hybrid or kydex. Ideally for a G36, but if I can't get one for that, an LCR. Here's where it gets tricky: Due to my.... "squishiness", I want the gun to ride LOW. Like grip on the belt line or maybe just a little higher. Will I have to have something custom made for this? I did a search and couldn't come up with anything, and apologize if I'm asking a question someone already asked. Thanks in advance!

·
Premium Member
7,465 Posts
Riding low with just a little overhang makes it difficult to get a quick grip (take it from a paunchy brother :redface:).

AIWB is for the studs with the iron abs.

·
Registered
179 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Crossbreed makes an appendix carry rig that is adjustable for ride height. That might be your best bet since all the kydex rigs I know of are not height adjustable.

Appendix Carry | CrossBreed® Holsters - Appendix Carry
I EDC a crossbreed and love it! As much as I've shopped, I think that's gonna be my best bet.

Riding low with just a little overhang makes it difficult to get a quick grip (take it from a paunchy brother :redface:).

Yeah... I'll be losing some of the gain by going low. But going low is the only way I feel I can move the gun to the front of my body, and still be semi comfy (I know: comforting, not comfortable...), but not have to hold on to the back of my shirt every time I bend over (Typically carry at 4:30).

My abs are a little more like molten lead, rather than iron. They're there, just not in the state of matter they should be :p

Here is another choice: Glock - 36 Archives - Old Faithful Holsters

I can attest to the comfort of this rig......it's great for appendix carry.
Interesting.... I'm not seeing anything that looks semi comfy for appendix, but I may try that for my next hip holster. Save some money and put it all together myself.

·
Premium Member
7,276 Posts

I would say riding low, even with no overhang, is pretty difficult to get a good grip quickly! Personally I want to be able to get a solid grip on the pistol easily, but I suppose if I had to really be certain that it was concealed I might sacrifice some grip to get it closer to the waist line.

·
Registered
6,971 Posts
...been carrying AIWB from 154# all the way to 251 and back to 228...I always cut my holsters open and move the clip up an inch, then resew...they sit lower behind the belt that way and the butt doesn't kick out at all...if you call one of the more accommodating holster makers, he could do the same thing for you...it makes an unbelievable difference...
...no trouble getting a grip with either semiauto or revolver...practice well and it'll be just as easy as if the holster were OWB...
All right everybody, I need help looking for an AIWB. HAS to be either a hybrid or kydex. Ideally for a G36, but if I can't get one for that, an LCR. Here's where it gets tricky: Due to my.... "squishiness", I want the gun to ride LOW. Like grip on the belt line or maybe just a little higher. Will I have to have something custom made for this? I did a search and couldn't come up with anything, and apologize if I'm asking a question someone already asked. Thanks in advance!

·
Registered
3,051 Posts
I too am a bit squishy, 6' 2" 230 lbs and I carry AIWB at 12 o'clock with a Smart Carry. SmartCarry - Concealed Gun Holsters It is neither hybrid nor kydex. It is denim, elastic and velcro.

I ordered mine on a Thursday and got it Tuesday. Would have had it Monday but that was a holiday.

·
Registered
1,482 Posts
OK..hope this helps.....me AIWB Glock 26....Old Faithful AIWB Kydex.

1...shorts, tee shirt..open shirt.....

2. tee shirt only...

You can conceal very nicely a 26....with no printing....AIWB is the perfect carry position....

me1.jpg me2.jpg me3.jpg me4.jpg iwb4.jpg

·
Registered
179 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Harrier AIWB - MidWorld Holster

I make them to ride higher than you are looking for, because I am also a "full firing grip" kind of guy. However, if you really want one that rides that low, I would be willing to make one that way for no extra charge.
Thank you. I will save that address and look through your products :)

I too am a bit squishy, 6' 2" 230 lbs and I carry AIWB at 12 o'clock with a Smart Carry. SmartCarry - Concealed Gun Holsters It is neither hybrid nor kydex. It is denim, elastic and velcro.

I ordered mine on a Thursday and got it Tuesday. Would have had it Monday but that was a holiday.
I've thought really hard about trying one of those, it just doesn't seem like it would be practical for me. But, with satisfaction guaranteed, we will find out eventually :)

·
Registered
1,482 Posts
In all seriousness before you spend good money on a low rider iwb holster it would behoove you (love that word) to try one first. If the handle is on or below the belt line and you can't get a firing grip immediately or it takes you longer to get your hands around the gun this could cost you your life in an emergency situation. I would be very careful with this....

·
Registered
933 Posts

·
Registered
246 Posts
I use a Comp Tac Minotaur MTAC, it is fully adjustable both on depth of carry and the retention on the weapon. I started off carrying with it really deep, but as I got less paranoid about the generally unaware general public, I have since boosted it up a bit. I carry at about 4:00. I'm working on the abs but haven't quite gotten there yet.

I highly recommend the holster. I just checked their webpage and it looks like they have a G36 specific model.

·
Registered
321 Posts
Full grip... Fricke Archangel! Deep as you want... look at the Fricke Zach, very interesting.
I have both, actually 2 Archangel's, 1 Zach, worth a close look. IMO

·
Registered
179 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
I ordered a Crossbreed. Now we wait. But, just this afternoon I put the 36 in using the clipdraw (empty chamber). Even though I check the gun twice before I popped the mag back in, and I knew the chamber was empty... An (essentially) unloaded gun pointed at my femoral artery really didn't give me that warm fuzzy feeling. I wasn't comfortable or comforted by my gun at the point. Really don't think appendix carry is gonna work for me, but I got to try.

Full grip... Fricke Archangel! Deep as you want... look at the Fricke Zach, very interesting.
I have both, actually 2 Archangel's, 1 Zach, worth a close look. IMO
I like his names for his holsters. Thanks! I like the looks of that Archangel.

In all seriousness before you spend good money on a low rider iwb holster it would behoove you (love that word) to try one first. If the handle is on or below the belt line and you can't get a firing grip immediately or it takes you longer to get your hands around the gun this could cost you your life in an emergency situation. I would be very careful with this....
I fully agree with you, but everything is a sacrifice. We sacrifice speed and access for concealment every day. Some more than others. I fully expect not to like this method, and it's just one of those try it things, because I have to know. "Always be content, but always try to better yourself." I would like for this to become my deep concealment method, because right now it's a mouse gun, but I won't know until I try. I do appreciate the concern, though. :)

·
Registered
137 Posts
For appendix carry I HIGHLY suggest a minimalist 1-point attachment holster. Less is more in appendix carry and the one point attachment lets the holster move with you instead of fight against you while still keeping the holster right where it needs to be. I carry AIWB with a Hell-bent Bare bones everyday and its the best holster I've owned.

IMG_2753.jpg IMG_2764.jpg IMG_2761.jpg IMG_2760.jpg

I'd also highly suggest the Raven Vanguard 2 with soft loops with you G36 as it has almost not hot points along its side. I carried my old G36 in the holster and it was a very nice match. Only thing is you can't reholster safely without taking the holster off your belt.

·
Registered
1,006 Posts
Hybrid holsters are a terrible idea for appendix carry. You need a fully reinforced mouth opening for safe one handed re-holstering, not one that semi closes (which a hybrid will do when the gun is out) and makes one handed re-holstering very dangerous with a striker fired weapon.

Generally, short length appendix holsters ride like crap because there is not much slide length below the belt line. dben002 claims his Old Faithful hybrid appendix rig rides great, but I say BS. You can see in his pictures that it is tipping out over the belt. That is not what you want in a proper appendix rig.

Holstering AIWB

http://pistol-forum.com/showthread.php?120-AIWB-(Appendix-Carry)&p=87911&viewfull=1#post87911

1 - 20 of 27 Posts