Defensive Carry banner

1 - 20 of 53 Posts

·
Registered
165 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am trying to carry AIWB for my Sig P320c in a tier1concealed agis holster. I detached the magazine pouch and trying to just carry my firearm since the 1 belt clip is easier to adjust. However, my front end of my pelvis is now tender and feels like there was bruising (no physical activity that day, just driving and walking around).

I really want to carry a double stack and I like carrying AIWB, but is my problem with the 320c (a little wide/thick), my holster (no padding), or the carry style in general? I'm debating if I should try a glock 19 or SW MP9, buy a new holster (maybe with a sponge wedge), or give up AIWB and stick with my 4-5oclock carry (although I would carry my HK VP9 then since barrel length is not an issue at that position). Thanks!

·
Registered
62 Posts
I have an Advanced Mini Holster for my Glocks (fits G20, 17, 19, 27). I bought from Glock Store online. For long driving and other not so strenous activities; I carry with the Smart Carry AIWB. My good old heavy a$$ Beretta 96 Centurion fit also.

·
Registered
5,065 Posts
I can't help you with your gun models but, after much experimentation I made a couple different foam wedges and attach them to the holsters (one leather,one Kydex) with the self stick velcro strips. I actually have one for each holster gun combo as it sits different with both guns. I angle the wedges to push the grip in and to tuck the pistol butt in more. I carry mine high enough to get an easy full grip while drawing so nothing touches my hip bone. It is so dependent on body type, holster and firearm that it is difficult to give advice except if you want to carry there keep trying slightly different things. I think it was worth the time and money myself. I can now carry a steel 3" barrel revolver easily and I am 5' 10" and 190. I settled on mostly Kydex (I like it better for re holstering) and a purpose built AIWB holster with a single loop attachment and made the wedge myself. Good luck.

·
Registered
1,789 Posts
I carry a P229 and Commander AIWB using a few different cheap holsters with no issues.

1. How tight are your pants? How tight is your belt?

2. Where is the gun situated? I put mine just to the right of my belt buckle, so around 1 o'clock. I like it so the barrel rests on the inside of my my thigh when I sit down.

·
Registered
20,116 Posts
I like a short barrel for aiwb.
For me the G26/27 is the way to go because I don't like being poked anywhere when I sit down, but gives me all the capability of its bigger models.

·
Registered
177 Posts
I like a short barrel for aiwb.
For me the G26/27 is the way to go because I don't like being poked anywhere when I sit down, but gives me all the capability of its bigger models.
I also AIWB the G26 comfortably. The G19 is do-able, but not as comfortable as the G26.

·
Registered
177 Posts
I am trying to carry AIWB for my Sig P320c in a tier1concealed agis holster. I detached the magazine pouch and trying to just carry my firearm since the 1 belt clip is easier to adjust. However, my front end of my pelvis is now tender and feels like there was bruising (no physical activity that day, just driving and walking around).

I really want to carry a double stack and I like carrying AIWB, but is my problem with the 320c (a little wide/thick), my holster (no padding), or the carry style in general? I'm debating if I should try a glock 19 or SW MP9, buy a new holster (maybe with a sponge wedge), or give up AIWB and stick with my 4-5oclock carry (although I would carry my HK VP9 then since barrel length is not an issue at that position). Thanks!
You'll want a good minimalist kydex holster for AIWB. I have Appalachian concealment, Dara, Tuctite, and a G code Incog for various guns and I settled on them from trial and error.

·
Registered
20,116 Posts
You'll want a good minimalist kydex holster for AIWB. I have Appalachian concealment, Dara, Tuctite, and a G code Incog for various guns and I settled on them from trial and error.
My Appalachian AIWB was the first and only AIWB holster I tried. I had one for the 26 and one for a 23.
The 26/Appalachian combo struck a home run for me and is about all I carry anymore.

Reactions: matthew03 and MAW

·
Registered
44 Posts
I think the tier1concealed agis holster is your problem. As stated by orangeman 'You'll want a good minimalist kydex holster for AIWB'. I use a Clinger Stingray (kydex) and Stoner 415 (leather). Both have the slide shield.

·
Registered
59 Posts
AIWB carry is pretty finicky to say the least. For me (5'6" 200# and not in a muscle way) it is really picky on pants mainly where the waist line is. Also the belt type makes a HUGE difference. For me a super stiff belt that would work great for standard carry doesn't work. A belt with a bit of flex feels and conceals better. I use an Arkteryx Conveyor belt for reference. You will also have to try more than 1 holster maker. I've had good luck with JM Custom Kydex for my P30 and VP9. My G19 works with a Raven Eidilon.

Sorry, but no easy answer to the shoebox of holsters to experiment with.

·
Registered
5,065 Posts
AIWB carry is pretty finicky to say the least. For me (5'6" 200# and not in a muscle way) it is really picky on pants mainly where the waist line is. Also the belt type makes a HUGE difference. For me a super stiff belt that would work great for standard carry doesn't work. A belt with a bit of flex feels and conceals better. I use an Arkteryx Conveyor belt for reference. You will also have to try more than 1 holster maker. I've had good luck with JM Custom Kydex for my P30 and VP9. My G19 works with a Raven Eidilon.

I know it goes against the general grain of thought but, I too much prefer a thin dept. store belt for AIWB since it flexes with my movements and is much more comfortable than my regular heavy duty OWB gun belt. Plus it holds the clip type holster better than my thick 1.75 inch wide purpose built gun belt.

·
Registered
165 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
I can't help you with your gun models but, after much experimentation I made a couple different foam wedges and attach them to the holsters (one leather,one Kydex) with the self stick velcro strips. I actually have one for each holster gun combo as it sits different with both guns. I angle the wedges to push the grip in and to tuck the pistol butt in more. I carry mine high enough to get an easy full grip while drawing so nothing touches my hip bone. It is so dependent on body type, holster and firearm that it is difficult to give advice except if you want to carry there keep trying slightly different things. I think it was worth the time and money myself. I can now carry a steel 3" barrel revolver easily and I am 5' 10" and 190. I settled on mostly Kydex (I like it better for re holstering) and a purpose built AIWB holster with a single loop attachment and made the wedge myself. Good luck.
Do you know where I can buy/learn to make some for myself?

·
Registered
165 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
I carry a P229 and Commander AIWB using a few different cheap holsters with no issues.

1. How tight are your pants? How tight is your belt?

2. Where is the gun situated? I put mine just to the right of my belt buckle, so around 1 o'clock. I like it so the barrel rests on the inside of my my thigh when I sit down.
There's about an inch or 2 gap so it's not loose but it's snug even without a belt. It's usually around 1oclock. I think you helped me in the defensive guns forum but I figured this subthread is more appropriate for this question lol

·
Registered
165 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Where do you buy Appalachian? I can't seem to find the website. Are they no longer in service?

Reactions: matthew03

·
Registered
1,789 Posts
You might consider tightening your belt down a bit. Mine is very snug. I think if the gun is moving around much it's going to rub your skin and cause issues.

·
Registered
165 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·

I've been hearing JM Custom is the way to go but it looks like nothing special. Does it really work? I can't AIWB my VP9 because it's too long and I can't sit. I'm 5'10" 180lbs

·
Registered
20,116 Posts
I've been hearing JM Custom is the way to go but it looks like nothing special. Does it really work? I can't AIWB my VP9 because it's too long and I can't sit. I'm 5'10" 180lbs
We are the same size.
Try something like the G26/27 and you will be comfortable and sacrifice nothing.

·
Registered
165 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
We are the same size.
Try something like the G26/27 and you will be comfortable and sacrifice nothing.
I wanted a double stack because of capacity, I have a Walther PPS M2 that has 8+1 that I could easily use since it's single stack but I wanted a 15+1 compact carry option.

·
Registered
62 Posts
I placed this on another thread. Go to a gun show and pretend you're selling. Gun shows are one stop shopping place. Check out all the holster and see the fitness. Also I buy all my leather belts at Strait City Trading Co. all made in the USA and very inexpensive. Lots of selections.

1 - 20 of 53 Posts