Defensive Carry banner
1 - 20 of 44 Posts

·
Registered
236 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have been carrying AIWB for almost 5 months now. I am sold on it. Here is a run down of my experience...

• It can be as comfortable or more so than other IWB positions.
  • You need a a proper AIWB holster.
  • A claw or wing is a must IMO.
  • A wedge helps and I prefer one, but can see how some do without.
  • Bigger is better. I have found full size to be better than compact (at least in holster length).
  • Going along with bigger is better - I recently added a weapon light to my EDC and find it to add a bit more comfort to the mix. A little more footprint seems to provide the extra comfort.
  • I need/prefer a stiffer belt for AIWB than any other positions. Just seems to keep things tucked in better.
I'm currently carrying a Canik Mete SFX or G45 in a Phlster Floodlight. Retention comes from the light. Your experience may be different, but I definitely think most people can find a way to make it work.
Trigger Wood Gun barrel Gun accessory Airsoft gun
Product Material property Font Metal Pattern

Product Material property Font Metal Pattern

Trigger Wood Gun barrel Gun accessory Airsoft gun

·
Registered
4,264 Posts
I have been carrying AIWB for almost 5 months now. I am sold on it. Here is a run down of my experience...

• It can be as comfortable or more so than other IWB positions.
  • You need a a proper AIWB holster.
  • A claw or wing is a must IMO.
  • A wedge helps and I prefer one, but can see how some do without.
  • Bigger is better. I have found full size to be better than compact (at least in holster length).
  • Going along with bigger is better - I recently added a weapon light to my EDC and find it to add a bit more comfort to the mix. A little more footprint seems to provide the extra comfort.
  • I need/prefer a stiffer belt for AIWB than any other positions. Just seems to keep things tucked in better.
I'm currently carrying a Canik Mete SFX or G45 in a Phlster Floodlight. Retention comes from the light. Your experience may be different, but I definitely think most people can find a way to make it work. View attachment 363588 View attachment 363590

View attachment 363590

View attachment 363588
Yup AIWB takes a bit more trial and error but for me the pay off was worth it.

·
Premium Member
39,512 Posts
A holster that sits deeper is not always better. There is a specific point for each person where a short slide will tilt out despite a wedge. Adding 1/2" to 1" in length depending upon the gun and your needs can solve it.
For me, 4" barrel length in a semi is perfect for centerline carry. I can do longer or shorter, but 4" is the sweet spot.

·
Registered
4,264 Posts
A holster that sits deeper is not always better. There is a specific point for each person where a short slide will tilt out despite a wedge. Adding 1/2" to 1" in length depending upon the gun and your needs can solve it.
Yup I find the best aiwb holster for my g19 is a holster for a g17. I been meaning to get a g48 holster for my 43x but other gun stuff keeps getting in the way.

·
Registered
236 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Glad you stuck with it until you found the formula that works for you. Your set-up absolutely would not work for me. It's not supposed to. It works perfectly for you, which is the point.
I learned a lot from your posts on appendix carry. It helped me apply principals to figure out what worked for me.

I thinks it good when we can share our journey. It's so easy for folks to get stuck and give up. I remember learning about belts on here over 5 years ago. I had no idea...LOL

·
Premium Member
11,220 Posts
Glad you found what works for you.
Appendix carry. shoulder carry, ankle carry, hip carry are all a trial by error.
I am glad we have lots of different options and lots of manufacturers making and constantly improving or coming up with new ways all the time.
Now if I could just figure out what to do with all the stuff in my holster drawer.

·
Premium Member
11,220 Posts
Inguinal crease was the other thing that flipped the switch for me. Finding that sweet spot in the crease of groin was almost like magic.
Now your talking dirty. Is that the spot that make my leg twitch like a Louisiana Leg Hound? :)

·
Registered
236 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·

·
Registered
12,287 Posts
I can carry my Sig P365, and my Sig P229 or my Wilson EDCX9 with equal comfort while using AIWB. I prefer it to all other carry methods at this point.

Reactions: Rabbit212

·
Registered
236 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Every time I read one of these AIWB threads, I think I need to give it a serious try. 3:00 is comfortable to me. I once tried it around the house and it was not comfortable. But that's not a serious try. Maybe soon.
I had the same experience in the past. One of the mistakes I made in initially trying it was that I could MacGyver it and make it work with what I already had. A purpose built appendix holster really does make a difference for most folks I believe.

1 - 20 of 44 Posts