Defensive Carry banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
577 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hmm have lots of pistols, hunting rifles, shotguns,22s etc...
Time for a Zombie Rifle(I learned a new term today thanks team america)
I'd love a ar but around wa the best price for a base model anything is around 800-900
Found a few ak's good condition for 370-400.
Know a gun guy who can get me a sks for 128.99 in great condition.
The ak's are good the way they are(either fiber dragonov stock or nice wood)
I think it may be fun to upgrade a stock sks.(new stock/foreend, higher capacity mag if thats even possible, flash suppressor etc...)

The question is, what would be more reliable and cost effective.
I'm guessing the sks option is cheaper.
Just looking for a good home defense gun and a fun one to bring to the range. Which is more accurate?
Any suggestions and personel experiances would be great.
Thanks
-the mac

·
Administrator
143,816 Posts
I would go with a decent quality AK.
That is if looking for a true extraordinary exclusively zombie firearm.
They are simple, very low maintenance, they work crappy dirty, and are fun as heck. Magazines are cheap.
Everybody needs one AK...just for the Kool Factor alone.:yup:
Just my opinion on that.:biggrin2:

·
Registered
862 Posts
Im shoping "zombie rifle" myself. I was window shoping and found a nice SKS for $350, an average SAR-1 Romainian for $425, and the high quality AK-47's for $900+.

Im thinking about the Romainian SAR-1. Eather that or get better sights on my Glock and 1911.

·
Administrator
143,816 Posts
I think there is something pretty doggone neat about the AK pattern zombie slayers.
Just a few solid hefty parts that keep right on ticking like a TIMEX.

Beat up...banged up ~ bashed up and they just keep on cranking them out there.

Buy One.

·
Premium Member
25,483 Posts
Both LOL!

I have aquired three SKS's and they are great but - in choice for which first - go AK. My SAR1 has served well tho it has quite fierce trigger slap - this I have a piece of 6mm silicon tube over trigger to make it more comfortable - one day I might replace trigger group or work on it.

Mag's have been easy and cheap to find too which is a plus.

My first SKS was a cosmo impregnated black barrel semi junker - but once cleaned up shoots acceptably - that was el cheapo thru AIM or SOG. Second one is a Romanian which is nicer and best of all is the Norinco as per pic below - nice gun and good shooter. Still tho AK comes out tops for favorite between them all.

·
Registered
5,134 Posts
Go for the gusto and pick up a fal , some of the franken fal's are down arround 5 - 600 still lol

·
Administrator
143,816 Posts
OK Now...the choice was between sks or AK...I didn't see FAL up there as a choice option. :biggrin2:

·
Registered
5,134 Posts
FAL is allways a good choice , think out of the box LOL , but of the two i would go sks and more ammo assuming i could find the ammo anymore lol cheap 7.62x39 seems to have more or less dried up

·
Registered
1,843 Posts
AK or SKS ?? AK all the way. I have two both stamped rcvr's. (BTW you don't have to pay anyway near $800-$900 for one.)

For a good reliable weapon that will eat any 7.62 X 39 ammo out their,a weapon that I would bet my life on,pick up a stamped rcvr.model for $400 or so.

Grab a TAPCO (or others) catalog and buy a few(?) mags and a sight ajustment tool and any of the several hundred things that you can add on or change.

Most any ammo will do. Factory 122's and 154's both HP and spire point all shoot to the same place at both 50 and 100yds. in my weapons. Most any .308" bullets work as long as their not too long. That's even though the nominal bore dia. is .310". I've handloaded 155's, and 168's to a good degree of accuracy. The 175's might be a little powder sensative though.

Anyway,sorry to ramble. My vote is for the AK. -------

·
Registered
3,468 Posts
RSSZ said:
Most any .308" bullets work as long as their not too long. That's even though the nominal bore dia. is .310". I've handloaded 155's, and 168's to a good degree of accuracy. The 175's might be a little powder sensative though. -------
:hand10: The reason a "friend of a friend" packed a Lee Loader in his kit, while in Bosnia. Good thing and good ability to have, if you get stuck in the boonies.

·
Registered
552 Posts
hey rob whats a lee loader if i might ask and i didnt know a 308 would fire in a 7.62 by 39 or are you all just talking about the bullet
sorry if i sound ignorant but id like to know more lol:embarassed:

·
Registered
1,843 Posts
Naaaw,we're just talkin' the bullets. You can load the .308" diameter bullets in the 7.62 X 39 brass. Especially with a Lee roll crimp.

I'm gonna switch to a different powder and go up in weight from the 168's.

A 190 would be "interesting".--------

·
Registered
6,741 Posts
I own one of each. They both have worked flawlessly with the variety of ammo I've put through them. Finding cheaper mags is easier with the AK. Mags switch out out easier with the AK as well; SKS's can be a pain.

My personal preference is the SKS. It's cheaper and mine shoots better than my AK. They both have a vast array of various add-ons to enhance your toy's eye appeal later.

There my 1.5 cents worth. (not really worth 2 cents)

·
Registered
940 Posts
As I point out to customers at the shop, if you want an AK, don't buy a SKS.

Accept the SKS for what it is - and if you love it, buy it.

Just don't be trying to turn it into an AK.

By the time you're done in expense and hassle alone, you should have just bought what you wanted from the get go.

·
Registered
1,674 Posts
I have a Norinco MAK-90 and I love it. Even with the thumbhole stock it is a blast to shoot. I took it to the range the other day and a bunch of "gun snobs" with AR's were there. You should have seen their expressions when I pulled my Chinese Lady out of the case! A couple of them jammed, but mine kept on shootin'. POETIC JUSTICE!

I had the SKS model that accepted AK mags about 10 years ago. I enjoyed that rifle but I sold it away. I do plan to buy a traditional SKS soon, either a Norico or one of the Yugoslavian one with the launcher.

·
Registered
577 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
was lookin at a norinco mak-90 today. Brand new, i even like the stock for 400. Very tempting. Don't know much about ak's. Do they all take the same mags? Am having a hard time finding availible ammo. I though this stuff was cheap and everywhere.

·
Registered
376 Posts
My suggestion would be to get the SKS. You can pick a nice one up for a little over $100. It will be more accurate than the AK and will make a great entry level battle rifle. I also wouldn't bother getting all of the add-on's - just shoot it as it is.

Then when you get enough money - get a true battle rifle. An M1A or AR-10 would be just fine. FAL's seem popular to this bunch - but take your pick.

·
Registered
1,862 Posts
Get the AK, you will never know when your government will ban it and that way you are grandfathered, then a little later pick up the SKS. AK and type are banned up here, but SKS are cheap and easy to find, the Norinco ones are decent except for the wood and a Series of them had problems with the barrel pin not being right (light strikes on the firing pin is a sign of a loose barrel)

The SKS-D is supposed to be a bit of a pain to change mags, there is also the Czech V-58XX (something, something) that is sort of considered the Rolls Royce of SKS, a bit more but very nice.

·
Registered
82 Posts
I have to agree with most of the posts here, AK is the way. Mine is a Norinco NHM-90, with a thumbhole stock, threaded barrel, bought in 1994, and no problems ever. Well, one problem, never enough ammo for my likes, but that is just me. Lots of magazines out there too, 20, 30, 40, 75 rd. drums, heck, even my daughter has an AK. And they do look COOl too. You can see mine in my photos, with other nice things.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts