Defensive Carry banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
334 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just got a Romanian AK and was looking at how to upgrade some of the parts.

1. How do you remove the top hand guard (wood piece) from the gas tube? The joining collars front rear are a press fit?

2. How do you remove the stock? I took the screws out but short of using a hammer i can't get the thing to move.

·
Premium Member
25,483 Posts
A while since I took mine down.

IIRC look at the front of rear sight on right - that lever will release the rear of top handguard section. Remove rear cover first and recoil spring/piston assembly - then operate that lever - top handguard should come up at rear then move it to rear to disengage from front recess above gas port.

The stock should come off with just the single machine screw removed from the tongue at top. It's one of those things which when I do it goes smoothly - but not so easy to try and describe purely from memory!

·
Premium Member
6,260 Posts
Bryan, check this link out:

Romanian Kalashnikov Rifles

I used it quite a lot when I got mine and helped me like crazy.

Here is the latest encarnation of the beast... Pic design obviosuly copied from Chris' :wave:

·
Premium Member
25,483 Posts
Looks good Miggy :smilez:

Mine is just boringly std - but shoots OK :wink: Wanna swap? :stups:

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Bryan - this is the lever I referred to -

`

·
Premium Member
6,260 Posts
Sorry Chris I ain't finished with Oh-So-Tactical yet.:rofl:
Anyway, your looks gorgeous. Love the shine of the furniture.

It started ever so innocently by making a safety lever modification and before I knew it I went crazy. Pity that my camera sucks. I need a new camera, but the damn money keeps desapearing into websites like Tapco and K-Var!:banana:

·
Premium Member
25,483 Posts
Talking of Tapco - I still keep meaning to get the trigger group unit - but soldier on with my ''anti-slap'' piece of red silicon tubing LOL!

·
Registered
334 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
yea I took the top handguard of by flipping the lever on front. the wood price is the part is what I'm trying to remove from the remainder of the gas tube. Going the put one of those forward rail pieces in its place. The 2 brackets look like they are pressed fit to the wood piece and gas tube.

·
Registered
6,868 Posts
I'm getting a Romanian parts kit (with barrel) on the cheap from someone on Glock Talk....since I'm mechanically dis-inclined, I'm getting a receiver from somewhere and pass it on to someone that specializes in AK to do a traditional Romanian AK for me.

·
Premium Member
6,260 Posts
P95Carry said:
Talking of Tapco - I still keep meaning to get the trigger group unit - but soldier on with my ''anti-slap'' piece of red silicon tubing LOL!
Chris, If you have a dremmel, check this link out:

Trigger Slap Fix

·
Registered
334 Posts
Discussion Starter #11 (Edited)
Miggy thanks for the site they gave me all the detailed furniture removal procedures.
P.S. What did you do to your mag release and safety. Did you add a finger hold on the safety so you can keep your hand on the grip? The ones I saw were $50 (kinda expensive for a small simple part).

·
Premium Member
25,483 Posts
If you have a dremmel, check this link out:
Doesn't everyone have a Dremmel? :18:

Thx for the link Miggy - I had seen that once before and forgotten about it - when I get my butt in gear sometime that will eventually get done.

It is only the partial fix of the tubing on trigger that has kept me ''putting up with it'' so long! Always so many things on the ''to do'' list - add the ''honeydo list'' and it gets even worse!

·
Registered
29 Posts
Just got a Bulgarian Armory SSR-85C-2 a few weeks ago; will have an UltiMak optics rail and an EOTech on the porch tomorrow when I get home! :smile:

1 - 13 of 13 Posts